PDA

View Full Version : Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace VS Lyman Big Dipper Furnace

Chrome1981
09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
Hello,

until now I always used Lee Pro 4 20 Lb Furnace together a friend because i shared the cost. is only a year that I use it, so do not have much experience

Now i want a furnace only mine in my home.

What do you recommend?

Lee Pro 4 20 Lb ?
Lyman Big Dipper Furnace + lead dipper ?( I have never used a lead dipper)

or something else but not too much expensive!

thank you very much!!!!

DLCTEX
09-22-2011, 10:54 AM
I prefer to use the bottom pour pot, but that's how I started and ladle pouring is a little different and seems awkward to me. I don't see an advantage to ladle pour, but I haven't done it enough to really form an opinion.

Springfield
09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
If expense is a main consideration go with the LEE 20 lb pot. Otherwise I would recommend the RCBS pot. I have both plus a Magma 40 pounder, so I have experience with all of them.

Sonnypie
09-22-2011, 01:33 PM
I've been real happy with my Lee Pro4 - 20 furnace.
I like the bottom pour, so the fluxing material can stay on top and shield the alloy from the air. Works for me. (I've only run clean alloy in my Lee furnace)

But a cast iron pot (dutch oven) and a dipping ladle could get you going pretty fast over there in Italy.
You could even make, or have made, a nice ladle.
If you think you might be reclaiming lead, a pot and ladle would be advisable so you avoid bad stuff in your furnace.

geargnasher
09-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Get the Lee Pro 4-20, take the money you save and buy a GOOD lead thermometer, a Lyman Rowel-type casting ladle, and take your sweetheart out for a nice dinner.

The advantage is capacity, 15-18 lbs is easier to maintain at a constant temperature. Watching the thermometer and adjusting the "thermostat" on the Lee is more accurate than the controls the more expensive pots come with, with exception to the Magma. Turn the pot sideways to the left, put your thermometer in by the valve pintle linkage so it's out of the way to the left, and you can ladle from it as easily as the Lyman pot. Try it both ways, but if you ladle, I'd follow Lyman's instructions for using it for best results.

Gear

Sonnypie
09-22-2011, 03:55 PM
Hey Gear,
Quick question:
Who has a GOOD thermometer?
I see Rotometals has one. Seems to be the most reasonable priced.
Have you run acrossed a remote type that is reasonably priced?
Reason being, it seems it would be better to have the rest of it away from the constant heat of hanging in the pot.

Thanks.

Oh, and end of high jack. :twisted:

geargnasher
09-22-2011, 09:26 PM
Here's a good place to get one: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=102777&highlight=NOE+thermometer&page=5

Gear

Chrome1981
09-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Get the Lee Pro 4-20, take the money you save and buy a GOOD lead thermometer, a Lyman Rowel-type casting ladle, and take your sweetheart out for a nice dinner.

The advantage is capacity, 15-18 lbs is easier to maintain at a constant temperature. Watching the thermometer and adjusting the "thermostat" on the Lee is more accurate than the controls the more expensive pots come with, with exception to the Magma. Turn the pot sideways to the left, put your thermometer in by the valve pintle linkage so it's out of the way to the left, and you can ladle from it as easily as the Lyman pot. Try it both ways, but if you ladle, I'd follow Lyman's instructions for using it for best results.

Gear

Great! thank you for your advice!

i sent a private message to SwedeNelson because i want buy your thermometer.

Do you believe that is there someone here who might sell me his Lee Pro 20 used? Or is it better to buy new?

Thank you!

geargnasher
09-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Just buy a new one, they aren't very expensive and a used one might be "abused". I don't know if any of the U.S. suppliers ship to Italy, or what the international rates would be compared to an individual shipping one to you. I know there are some export laws preventing certain items being sold overseas from here, but I'm not sure if "tools" such as lead melters and ladles are a problem. You might visit MidwayUSA's website and investigate this, I think they list export restrictions somewhere, maybe on the description page of each item?

Gear

ElDorado
09-25-2011, 02:07 PM
Chrome1981-

MidwayItalia has them.

http://www.midwayitalia.com/

Chrome1981
09-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Chrome1981-

MidwayItalia has them.

http://www.midwayitalia.com/

thank you, but midwayitalia is most expensive store in italy :( i try with lee importer maybe i can save some euros :)

edmehlig
09-26-2011, 09:40 PM
What temperature should the lead be? The lead I use is betwee pure and 40:1 mix.

Thanks...Ed