PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 4500 vs RCBS lube-o-matic2

mountain man
09-22-2011, 01:12 AM
I was hopeing someone could help me deside what one is better and why i'm new in the reloading and the bullet casting when i set my mind on something it's hard for me to get my mind off of this. I been doing alot of reading and looking and need alittle help witch one is better RCBS Lube-A-Matic-2 or the Lyman 4500

Angus
09-22-2011, 01:45 AM
The 4500 has an internal lube heater for use with harder rifle lubes. It also uses a ratchet to crank the lube plunger down instead of the "balls and shaft" (couldn't help myself) on a LAM. Personally I'd do what I did and wait on the Swappin & Sellin forum and get a used 450 or LAM. They are both cast iron work horses that never wear out. Buying used will save you a pie of money you can put towards dies, top punches, lubes, etc... If you are planning on casting for rifle get a heater and use the stiffer lubes (White Label carnauba red and 2500+ etc...). If you are going to be using it for pistol boolits (as most of us do) then skip the heater and use the softer lubes (White Label BAC, 50/50, Lyman Moly). If you have unlimited expendable income, from what I have read a Star is a marvel of engineering compared to the 450/4500 and LAM.

gandydancer
09-22-2011, 01:52 AM
do your self a favor and get a star. it cost more but well worth it.

Ausglock
09-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Broke my 450 today. Was cranking on the lever with heater on and some of jake's lube in the tube. next thing the ratchet turned real easy. turns out the bottom of the pressure screw broke off. So now I wait for Lyman to send a new one down to OZ.

Thank the lord I also have a RCBS LAM2.

If I was going to buy a new lubesizer, I would go for the LAM2. But modify the top. get rid of the ball and rod. drill a hole and insert a 1/4" hex driver and weld it through the lever hole. That way I can use the ratchet. It makes the LAM2 a great lubesizer to use,

Bret4207
09-22-2011, 07:12 AM
Rcbs.

Calamity Jake
09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
For overall strength and durabilaty RCBS

milprileb
09-22-2011, 09:02 AM
No one says SAECO ?

It would be helpful if a objective grading of RCBS, Lyman and Saeco could be posted with pro/ cons of each and what is the best overall tool.

I don't think recommending a first car buy get a BMW is helpful and that kind of what recommending a STAR purchase is.

largom
09-22-2011, 09:31 AM
I have 3 Lyman 450's and no complaints about their performance. Picked up a used RCBS LAM at an auction [$11.00] this week. Have'nt used it yet but just looking at the linkage I would say it is stronger than the Lyman's.

Larry

Chrome1981
09-22-2011, 09:36 AM
I was hopeing someone could help me deside what one is better and why i'm new in the reloading and the bullet casting when i set my mind on something it's hard for me to get my mind off of this. I been doing alot of reading and looking and need alittle help witch one is better RCBS Lube-A-Matic-2 or the Lyman 4500

Hello, I bought the RCBS LAM2 on Ebay, unfortunately I have no experience with Lyman.

I can only tell you that i have rcbs lam2 for 1 year and not given me any problems it seems very solid and no signs of rust.

Lizard333
09-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I use the 4500, with hard lubes, Carnuba Red, and love it. No complaints. BTW, are you able to put gas checks on you boolits when using a Star? Never even seen one except on You Tube. Just Curious.

midnight
09-22-2011, 12:19 PM
I use both the 450 AND THE RCBS. The RCBS seems the tougher of the two although I have had no problems with either. Just for giggles I use an old Lyman #1 with soft lubes. The other two have heaters I can use or not use as the lube and temperature dictate.

Bob

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 01:36 PM
I have the Lyman 45 and was wanting to use some harder lube. So I started looking into all the various sizers out there and ended up with the 4500 because of the built in heater... I am so Sorry now because the first time I go to use it I cant get the H&I die to go in. and Lyman is making me pay out of my own pocket to send it to them so they can see if they want to fix it.. I should have gotten a RCBS or STAR.

sqlbullet
11-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I use the 4500, with hard lubes, Carnuba Red, and love it. No complaints. BTW, are you able to put gas checks on you boolits when using a Star? Never even seen one except on You Tube. Just Curious.

Star works fine with gas checks.

1bluehorse
11-23-2011, 02:01 PM
They'll all put grease on the bullet..I used an old Lyman 45 for years until I got a good buy on a used Star. I gave the 45 to a friend and he still uses it. Actually wouldn't mind having another one..The Star can be kind of a pain in the bu++ to set up a caliber for a couple hundred bullets. BUT..if doing a LOT of the same bullets, the Star is the star...

gefiltephish
11-23-2011, 04:12 PM
I've used an old 450 for the last 2 years. It works, but frankly I have a very low opinion of it. At least I didn't buy it new. Not only is it a poor design (in my opinion), it looks like it was machined by an uneducated pigmy. Buckshot's dies are nice though!

Just recently got a brandy new Star and a die from Lathesmith. I'm a happy camper now!! The difference in speed is alarming, as is the reduction in the overall hassle factor. Sometime next year I'll get the air cylinder for it. I intended to only use it for pistol calibers, but now I anticipate acquiring rifle dies as well.

If you buy one of the other junks new, cost wise you're half way or better to a Star. My suggestion is to do whatever you have to do now (pan or tumble lube, or shoot jacketed) and save up till you can afford a Star. You're welcome!

Mike W1
11-23-2011, 04:41 PM
A simple modification to a $1.59 socket turns the not so friendly ball handle into a ratchet operation. I prefer this to the old ratchet wrench that came with my old #45 unit. And it let's the RCBS remain as it was built in case you want to go back that way though I can't imagine why anyone would.

When I looked I thought the RCBS unit was built a little stronger and might not have the lube leakage that I understood some of the Lyman units had.

Reload3006
11-23-2011, 04:44 PM
most of the lube leakage on my lyman 45 comes from the o-ring on the H&I die easly replaced and end of problems.

MtGun44
11-23-2011, 10:45 PM
RCBS is stronger than Lyman. Star is wonderful but fussy for the newby and not so great for
someone that runs small batches of many different boolits, esp different designs in the same
diameter.

I use two Stars, a RCBS LaM, a Lyman 450 and Lyman 45, so I have experience with all
of them but SAECO. If you only have one - RCBS. If you then start casting large quantites of
the same boolit to feed a progressive - then a Star makes a lot of sense. Get a great deal
on a 450 or 45, they are only slightly inferior to the RCBS, use the same dies, can be
good machines. Just not quite as strong and robust, easier to break the linkage or the
pressure system.

Bill