PDA

View Full Version : Help!! I need LEAD

jdhenry
01-31-2007, 09:45 PM
I have been trying to find a place to buy lead from, With no luck (other than ebay) and I want to buy more than 5 or 10#like they are selling there. Any ideas as to where I could buy 100# or more???? I have gone to the tire shops around here and get the same story every time. They have friends that make fishing weights, that buy all that they have. Any help would be GREAT!!!!

Jeremy :)

ANeat
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Where are you located?? Have you tried the local scrap metal/recycling places??

Welcome to the site

wills
01-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Plumbing or roofing supplers may have lead. Someone may know of a specific supplier, if we knew where you are located. For instance you can buy 99% lead at Lead Products in Houston, but that wont help you if you arent near Houston.

jdhenry
01-31-2007, 10:39 PM
I live about 50 miles from Portland, Oregon.

powderburnerr
01-31-2007, 11:45 PM
there is a foundry in portland in the ne by I-84 . I havent been there but did check its location when I took my kid to school there , ....Dean

klw
01-31-2007, 11:53 PM
Art Green has been selling bullet metals for more decades than I can remember. Certainly I've been doing business with him for 20 years. Recently I bought 900 pounds of linotype and have ordered another 2400 pounds. I also ordered 500 pounds of pure lead.

Doesn't have a web page. Best way to reach him is by phone. 310-274-1283.

dakotashooter2
02-01-2007, 10:23 AM
Do you have a junkyard near you. If they don't have any scrap laying around you could ask if you could strip the weights off the wheels of the junk cars. It would be a lot of work but better than nothing.

:castmine:

Bob Jones
02-01-2007, 02:18 PM
50 miles what direction? I might have a possibility for you in Salem. PM me if you're down that way.

Sundogg1911
02-01-2007, 03:14 PM
If all else fails, you can buy it from http://www.midwayusa.com
you'll probably get crushed in shipping charges though.

cbrick
02-01-2007, 06:00 PM
I'll second the suggestion of Art Green. He has tin, lino, WW ect. He is a metallurgist selling to the industry but also sells bullet casting alloys.

Ole Art is the nicest guy you could ever want to meet but if you go to his office to save on shipping charges (I do) plan on extra time, he'll talk your ears off.

310-274-1283

Rick

Bob Jones
02-01-2007, 07:56 PM
If all else fails go to Les Scwab. Ask nice and they'll sell you a 3 gallon bucket for $20. Pretty expensive but it will get you started.

The main thing is to start asking everyone you know. It took me a year, but I found the hookup in a very unexpected place.

John Boy
02-01-2007, 08:26 PM
Jeremy, go to plumbing supply house that caters to the trade and ask them for a strip of pig lead. That will get you 5ea-5# ingots

Lloyd Smale
02-01-2007, 08:28 PM
where is art grean located and whats his price for lb for lynotype.

jdhenry
02-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Thanks all of you !!!!!! I found a tire shop that would sell to me :) I got 2- 5g buckets for $70. and now have 114- 2lb Muffin lead( SHHHHHH wife dont know I used her myffin pans...he he)

Also with all the tips I have heard on here, all of my melting and pouring went perfect!!!!!!

cbrick
02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Lloyd,

Beverly Hills, CA

Don't know his current prices and there is no web site. Phone number only. He has run those little spot ads in HandLoader and many, many other magazines for many years.

I've never bought any lino from him, only wheel weights & tin and that was a few years ago. At that time he got .20 cents apound for smelted & cleaned up ingots, I'm sure its more than that by now.

He does ship but I picked up from him so don't know the rates. Call him and see if he has what you want.

Rick

Buckshot
02-02-2007, 02:52 AM
...............Deputy Al has done business with Art also. Said he was a nice guy and very accomodateing.

One nice thing about living near a large metro area is all you have to do is look in the yellow pages. Every quarter the trucking company I work for hauls a couple hundred thousand pounds of lead to Johnson Controls, from a commercial smelter about 25 miles west of me.

There was also a place in LA, myself and a couple friends did business with called Liberty Metals. They did quite a bit with some commercial casters and couldn't figure out why we wanted to buy linotype. They kept trying to sell us the stuff the commercial guys were using. We bought lino as it's a good easy way to sweeten up WW or scrap.

Only problem with them was they watched the market and thier pure metals were 'spot' priced, so linotype could run $0.75/lb. But you knew it was good stuff without the tin being burned out. I think they've closed up though.

................Buckshot

GLL
02-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I will second (third?) the comments of Rick and Buckshot about Art Green. He is a great guy and has just about anything you might want for making bullets or even cast jewelry. As Rick indicated if you go to his "office" for a "quick" visit make sure you have an hour to spare ! He is loaded with stories. :) :)

His tin prices are as good as I could find. The alloy (and WW) prices are rising quickly as the scrap market in southern California is skyrocketing. Sunday is the best time to visit because the area is VERY crowded on weekdays.

Jerry

Slowpoke
02-02-2007, 01:46 PM
I used to get enrichment alloy thru the mail from Mr. Green, he used to take his business real serious.

He would enclose a little post card with your order for you to fill out and mail back to him.

One time I didn't mail it back and I got a long distance phone call late one evening and he chewed my ass out proper.

It still makes me laugh when I think about it.

good luck

ELFEGO BACA
02-03-2007, 02:44 AM
The last time I purchased wheelweights at Les Schwab in the spring of 2006 it cost me $52.50 for a overflowing 5 gallon bucket - about 179lbs.

BudRow
02-03-2007, 06:09 AM
I remember Elfego Baca! I was a kid in the 50s and remember the TV show - Thanks for the memory! I'd like to see some reruns.