PDA

View Full Version : What Size 45 Colt Boolit

DanAKAL
09-21-2011, 01:24 PM
I have a Ruger New Blackhawk Convertible and a Marlin 1894 both in 45 Colt. I want to work up loads that will be used in each gun. Based on my rudementry bore slugging of driving an egg lead sinker with a hole in the middle through the bores this is what I came up with.
Ruger 0.4505 - 0.4510
Marlin 0.4520 - 0.4525
Given these measurements what do you guys think would be the best diameter boolit to use provided I want to use the same boolit in both guns? 0.453?

Dan

Wally
09-21-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd start with sizing to .454". Make sure the bullets will chamber in both guns--if so, all will be well. I suggest .454" as I don't know of any stock .453" sizing dies. They come in .452" and & .454". The Ruger cylinder throats may be oversized and the .454" would work better.

DanAKAL
09-21-2011, 01:33 PM
Thanks Wally, Right now I am having to order my boolits as I do not have any casting equipment yet. That will be changing soon though. I get most of my boolits from Montana Bullet Works and he can cast them anywhere between .452 - .455 depending on the boolit. I expect that I will be ordering the .454 to see how they work especially since it seems I can't get a .453 mold. I was thinking .453 just because of the tight readings on the Ruger. Montana Bullet Works 45 Colt (http://montanabulletworks.com/45_Colt.html)

The Cyliner throats on my Ruger are really pretty tight. This is based on me pushing a copper jacketed bullet through the cylinders. The bullet measured a consistant .452. Four of the throats need only finger pressure to push the bullet through but two of them take a little more persuasion. Intrestingly the two that are prety tight are 180 degrees apart. Not sure what that means but I did notice it. I'll be reaming out the the throats to 0.4525 when my reamer kit arrives from Brownell.

Dan

MtGun44
09-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Ruger groove diam AND throat diameter needed to decide. Assuming that the throat diam
is larger than the groove diameter (the desired condition) then you want to be at least throat
diameter and at least groove diam for the Marlin as a minimum and a bit larger than the
Marlin diam is desirable in most cases, and typically not harmful in the Ruger IF IT WILL
CHAMBER. So around .453 or .454 depending on what will chamber.

Proper molds cast .001 to .003 over the advertised diam depending on alloy, temp and
your uncle's hat size.

Bill

DanAKAL
09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
The Ruger groove dia is 0.4505 - 0.4510 and the throat dia will be 0.4525 after reaming. I suppose I could go larger with the throats but that is what I have used before.

I have two uncles. Does it matter which one I put in the vise to squeeze thier head so my boolits will chamber?

Dan

Sonnypie
09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Oh My!
I only have one Uncle alive.
And I certainly am not going to go measure the other Uncles' hat size's!
Nope, nope, nope... eew!

That's a riot Bill! :lol:

MtGun44
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
You laugh. Have you ever done a size correction for you uncle's hat size? You might
be surprised how much different it will make.

Bill

:bigsmyl2:

nrc
09-21-2011, 09:02 PM
(first post - howdy)

+1 on .454 for the Ruger. If your cylinder throat is significantly smaller than your forcing cone - I would advocate for opening up the cylinder. There are tutorials for DIY'ing this yourself, or a local gunsmith can take care of it for you.

Then again - shoot it first. If it hits what you point at, don't sweat it.

Nate