PDA

View Full Version : getting to the range??

jhalcott
01-31-2007, 05:46 PM
how do YOU take your ammo to the range for testing?? I read on a thread here that a plastic bag indicates poor work manship, though I do NOT agree. I've been taking small batches to the range for years this way. I live about 15 miles from the range ,take my own spotting scope ,sand bags and rests.Also targets and cleaning gear. I may only load ten rounds of a particular load. I USUALLY take 4 or 5 bags with a different load in each. A twenty round box half full takes a lot more room than the baggy! IF (big if) I happen to dump the bag ,or some other shooter picks one of my rounds up, I don't have to worry if it goes in this side of the box or THAT side. Of course ,If I was younger or healthier, I wouldn't care about getting to the range.

UweJ
01-31-2007, 05:50 PM
I usually have 50 or 100 round boxes and put a large sticker on it on which I write my testing load data.
So each row has a different load and canīt get mixed up that easy.

dakotashooter2
01-31-2007, 06:06 PM
What ever works for you. I have dumped boxes of ammo before and had to pull all the loads or just shoot them up if I knew they were all safe. I began to color code after that but still dumped a box now and then. Besides bags are .06-.10 each boxs are $1.50. Both are reusable. When I hunt Pdogs the rounds go in bags cause they can fit in a pocket that way. Some people are just a bit anal.

:castmine:

MT Gianni
01-31-2007, 07:21 PM
If it is for target work I use boxes. Developmental loads go in baggies with the info clearly marked on the outside and a piece of paper inside that group size gets written on. Emptys go back in the baggie to be measured against a known standard expantion of factory ammo if it is a hot load. Gianni.

targetshootr
01-31-2007, 07:34 PM
I use the cardboard boxes that cast bullets came in before I started makin 'em. They hold two or three hundred 44s or 45s and I print stick-on load labels from the puter.

MGySgt
01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Test Loads - I use a 'Sharpie' and just write the load on the side of the casing. If a box gets dumped - no big deal, just sort them out.

Works for me!

The markings comes off when they are cleaned.

waksupi
01-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Geez, should I feel bad about my ammo cans full of .45 ACP and .308 now? Hmmmm, wonder how many of those boxes I would need? I best buy stock in Caseguard!

Uncle Grinch
01-31-2007, 10:24 PM
Test Loads - I use a 'Sharpie' and just write the load on the side of the casing. If a box gets dumped - no big deal, just sort them out.

Works for me!

The markings comes off when they are cleaned.

I use the same techique, but write a number on the primer that corresponds to my load number. They are then placed primer up in my MTM box. It does require an Ultra Fine Point Sharpie.

Dale53
01-31-2007, 10:57 PM
I typically load in quantity. I store in ammo boxes or steel drawers in my loading room. I bought a number of small nylon zipper bags several years ago. They have a grab handle on the end. I put a small luggage tag on the bags with calibers. In the bags I have various lots of baggies that have the vital data written on a business card. It has everything needed. The bags were very inexpensive, baggies are cheap, the organization is great (just look at the luggage tag) and they are easy to carry. what more could one want?:)

While the nylon bags are rather small, I can put several 100 round or 50 round cartridge boxes inside. I do make sure that I put heavy rubber bands around the ammo boxes. I shoot lots of different guns and this enables me to keep things in order. Don't forget to have a couple of empty baggies for fired cases. When I get home, I pull the empties out all in one or two baggies.

Dale53

boommer
02-01-2007, 12:28 AM
I Got To Ask You Jhalcott Why Do Care What They Would Think!!
If It's Safe ! And It Works For You!!your There To Shoot !
Not To Impress Anybody The Whole Idea Of This Sport Is To Work With What
You Have And Have Your Own Fun.i Really Don't Care If You Have The Best Or Worst Equipment . It's Are You Acting Safe And Are You Just A Nice Person

Thats All That Matters In My Little World..

Sorry I Don't Mean To Sound Harsh Just My Thought
Clayton Shade

imashooter2
02-01-2007, 12:48 AM
I box developmental loads to keep them organized by the specs. I box bottlenecks because a hundred at one sitting is a big session for me. Pistol ammo, on the other hand, comes off the SDB at 400 an hour. It stores loose in .50 cal ammo cans and goes to the range or the match in drawstring bags made from old pants legs.

texas tenring
02-01-2007, 01:06 AM
I used to work as an aircraft mechanic at a fixed base operator and our parts department had zip lock baggies about 4"X6" with a writeable area on one side to identify small parts. I had a large quantity of these and have been using them for a couple of years when developing loads, 5-25 loaded rifle cases at a time with all the important information writen on the bag. Works good for me!!!!

Murphy
02-01-2007, 01:28 AM
It really makes no difference how you care to carry your test loads. Whatever suits you best is what works for you...*Smile*.

I have made the mistake of dropping a box of test loads that were not marked in anyway. After doing that once or twice, everyone comes up with a method which works best for them.

Sort'a like that whole blonde vs brunette vs redhead....yada yada thing.

Murphy

454PB
02-01-2007, 01:56 AM
That plastic bag remark might be attributed to me, I posted on a discussion about loaded ammo appearance and said I get a little nervous when someone next to me at the range has his ammo in a plastic bag. Maybe it was too broad a brush. I was trying to convey that a lack of care in packaging might indicate a lack of pride in preparation. Certainly good safely assembled ammo can be transported in a plastic bag, but think about those poor boolits getting banged together inside. At least be gentle in their handling[smilie=l:

jhalcott
02-01-2007, 03:40 PM
Boomer.I guess it's the same reason MOST guys will not date an ugly girl UNLESS she's a great cook. or owns a bar[:<} That means I don't have an answer! this IS work up loads. I have 100 round plastic boxes that are for hunting. When in the field I use an ammo wallet.

wills
02-01-2007, 04:00 PM
how do YOU take your ammo to the range for testing?? .

Same way everybody else does, in the truck
http://www.stevegarufi.com/truck20.jpg

454PB
02-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey! I think I owned that truck before they fixed it up!

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-02-2007, 01:57 AM
It costs a couple bucks to have a dozen 50 or 100 round boxes to carry loads in. You have your notebook, just write down the load data for each row. Beating bullets around in a baggy is just tacky! Baggies are for organic stuff!! Of course, I carry firearms around in hard cases too, not a sock or soft case.

JMHO

Rich
DRSS

Buckshot
02-02-2007, 02:40 AM
.............I use 20, 50, or 100 round plastic boxes for my ammo. Each rifle I have has it's own brass dedicated to it. Each container, of whatever amount is treated as a 'lot'. This means nothing gets done to the brass in that lot until it has all been fired. I don't fire 57 rounds out of a 100 round container and then re-load those 57 rounds. Each container has a sticker with 3 lines: Fired, Annealed, Trimmed. When the brass is dumped in the tumbler the 'Fired' line gets a line drawn on it, and so on.

For test ammo I use either a 20 round (or 2 or 3), or a 50 round box. I don't much worry about them tipping over in transport as they go in my range box. Even if it rolls over, the ammo boxes can't do anything except roll over with it. So far as marking goes, I write on the side of the plastic ammo box (the partitioned part that holds the cartridges) with a marker pen. TO remove it some carb cleaner on a rag makes it disappear.

....................Buckshot

mike in co
02-02-2007, 03:38 AM
i use 50 and 100 rd plastic boxes.
no real biggie with pistol, but rifle bullets or boolits need to be kept STRAIGHT. if you are just checking velocity , the baggie is ok, but if you are trying to check accuracy, and you be banging them boolits around...you be defeating the intent.
gets down to what the load was, the neck tension and how much banging around you do before you shoot them.
guess it gets down to what your expectations are....
like i have said before, i'm an ammo crafter, not a reloader( rifle stuff you know)

mike

Bass Ackward
02-02-2007, 08:07 AM
I was waiting for someone to mention a vehicle and Wills took it one step funnier.

What I am not going to tell is some of the ways in the past that I have transported rounds. And mostly it figures on how much of a hurry I was in when I got going as to the exact methodology.

But I am proud to announce, that no bodily cavity has ever been used for transporting although results sometimes may have indicated such.

Beau Cassidy
02-02-2007, 08:18 AM
I put them in plastic zip loc bags. That way you CAN'T get anything mixed up like you can when lining them up in a plastic ammo box. Drop your shooting bag you say? No problem with the plastic baggies but dangit- there spills your MTM ammo box and all of your nicely crafted DIFFERENT loads all over the floor. Care to sort them out??? Loaded "business" business ammo is a different thing- it gotes in plastic cases. MTM or more recently Plano (hinged top) cases. Also, when I fire a round I will put the case back in the bag it came from and frequently reanalyze everything once I get home. No quesitons on anything using the bags.

Beau