PDA

View Full Version : A very profound thought

Trey45
09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
An old high school sweetheart had this posted on her Facebook page, and I thought you guys would appreicate it too.

"We need to teach our daughters to distinguish between a man who flatters her - and a man who compliments her. A man who spends money on her - and a man who invests in her. A man who views her as property - and a man who views her properly. A man who lusts after her - and a man who loves her. A man who believes he is God's gift to women - and a man who remembers a woman was God's gift to man...And then teach our boys to be that kind of a man."

Wow! That says it all if you ask me.

Ickisrulz
09-20-2011, 05:55 PM
That is wise. If I had daughters I would also add that I'd help them to become as self reliant as possible...encouraging them to learn a trade or finish college. This might become necessary since 50% of marriages end in divorce and I’d hate to see them broke with few options other than squeezing the ex-husband for alimony and child support.

metweezer
09-20-2011, 07:33 PM
A man marries a woman and hopes that she will never change. [smilie=w: A woman marries a man and can't wait to change him. [smilie=b:

Trey45
09-20-2011, 07:39 PM
And that, metweezer is why half of marriages end in divorce. The other half end in death, I figure I came out ahead by not having to die to get out of mine.

DCM
09-21-2011, 01:09 AM
And that, metweezer is why half of marriages end in divorce. The other half end in death, I figure I came out ahead by not having to die to get out of mine.

Some days I wish I could die and get done with it, other days I hope it is a long time before I die and am done with it.

I don't believe all women are gods gift to man, doubt that I ever will. Some of them come from the other side! :evil:

Wayne Smith
09-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Wow! That is profound. Would she mind having it appropriately attritubted to her? I would love to use it professionally.

largom
09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
A very smart teacher but I would add that it goes BOTH ways.

Larry

FISH4BUGS
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
........if she remembers ONE thing, she will be far ahead. That is : BOYS ARE PIGS.
Let them show you otherwise and don't believe a word they say.
She is now 30 and has thanked me many times for that advice.
Face it guys, it is true. We are all pigs at heart.

Trey45
09-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Wayne, I'm not sure she is the originator of the quote. If you wanted to use it you could just use the "Author Unknown" and cover the bases that way.

metweezer
09-21-2011, 10:42 AM
........if she remembers ONE thing, she will be far ahead. That is : BOYS ARE PIGS.
Let them show you otherwise and don't believe a word they say.
She is now 30 and has thanked me many times for that advice.
Face it guys, it is true. We are all pigs at heart.

Speak for yourself Fish4brains. Let me make a guess; she is 30 and single?

smoked turkey
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Trey45 thanks for posting that. I called my wife in to see it and she likes it so well that she wants to post it on her facebook. So another "author unknown" is coming. If more men had that mindset it would go a long way toward alleviating problems in the marriage.

Char-Gar
09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Well that is very cute and contains some truth, but also it is all from a woman's point of view. It is far from profound. Women are just humans like men and come with all the flaws attached thereto.

Men and women are quite different with different views on just about everything in life. The problems start when women think men should view everything in life and their relationship through a woman's eyes. The same can be said of a man's expectations as well.

The secret, if there is any, is to respect each others difference , and don't expect the other to be a clone of yourself.

FISH4BUGS
09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Speak for yourself Fish4brains. Let me make a guess; she is 30 and single?

No need to be nasty there pal.
Yes she is 30 and single. What's that got to do with the price of bananas? More and more people are waiting until later to get married. Getting married at 18 or knocked up at 16 is not for everyone you know. She has had the same boyfriend for years.
She is a professional woman, college grad with honors, scholar/athlete. 13 time all American, 2 time NCAA national Champion swimmer. Heading for Law School then into the Coast Guard. Do I sound like a proud papa? You bet your *** I am.
We joke about the guys that swarm around her like Indians around the wagon train. She knows the vast majority are after one thing. She lets them show her otherwise.
OK...so maybe you are the one guy that isn't a pig. Bless you and your fine upbringing. But 99.9% are not the same way. Myself included. Most guys would admit it if they were honest about it.

BeeMan
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM
The OPs quote is talking about discernment, which our daughters and sons both need. There is no virtue in telling either gender of our kids that the opposite sex is all untrustworthy.

There is a claim that bank tellers learn to tell real from counterfeit by handling the real stuff over and over. We need to raise our kids to be the real deal and teach them to discern failings in themselves and in others. Then there is no need for blanket statements that label another human being without cause. Its not easy to do, but it is worth it.

The Bible has told us this for years, but in this country we told God to get out of our lives quite a while ago... decisions and actions do have consequences.

Beeman, an imperfect but proud father of two sons and two daughters.

metweezer
09-21-2011, 02:48 PM
Sorry Fish. I didn't know you were talking about your own daughter. My bad. :oops:

FISH4BUGS
09-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Sorry Fish. I didn't know you were talking about your own daughter. My bad. :oops:

It has worked for my daughter quite well. It might not work for others, but it has served her well in her life. I guess one of the greatest compliments a dad can be given is to have your kids say thanks for the way they were taught about the realities of life. They actually can see life for what it is, not a bunch of promises and fantasies.
None of this 'tooth fairy" stuff except when they were young. Reality has to come sometimes....

Char-Gar
09-21-2011, 04:17 PM
The OPs quote is talking about discernment, which our daughters and sons both need. There is no virtue in telling either gender of our kids that the opposite sex is all untrustworthy.

There is a claim that bank tellers learn to tell real from counterfeit by handling the real stuff over and over. We need to raise our kids to be the real deal and teach them to discern failings in themselves and in others. Then there is no need for blanket statements that label another human being without cause. Its not easy to do, but it is worth it.

The Bible has told us this for years, but in this country we told God to get out of our lives quite a while ago... decisions and actions do have consequences.

Beeman, an imperfect but proud father of two sons and two daughters.

You are 100% correct about discernment and not teaching our children the other gender is untrustworthy. I would add that discernment also includes having a real world understanding of the opposite sex and how they differ.

BeeMan
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
... I would add that discernment also includes having a real world understanding of the opposite sex and how they differ.

Totally agreed.

Char-Gar
09-21-2011, 05:27 PM
I have presided at over 400 marriages and counseled with hundreds of couples after problems started. The were of course abuse, substance abuse, infidelity and the like, but the most common was people who had unreasonable expectations of each other. Each thought the other ought to be, think and act like themselves. They just didn't under each other and how they differ. Not understanding, they saw the difference as a flaw and strife was always the results.

leftiye
09-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Let's just spread the field of fire a little..... All people aren't pigs, but most of them aren't worth the ammo to blow them to heaven (ya right) either.

Charger, Heck, I'm the only sane person that I know. Eh? Bad news is that they are all somewhat balled up regardless of the first person's perceptions.

geargnasher
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
I have presided at over 400 marriages and counseled with hundreds of couples after problems started. The were of course abuse, substance abuse, infidelity and the like, but the most common was people who had unreasonable expectations of each other. Each thought the other ought to be, think and act like themselves. They just didn't under each other and how they differ. Not understanding, they saw the difference as a flaw and strife was always the results.

There's a lot of wisdom in your observations, Chargar. VERY well put. :drinks::drinks:

Gear

Char-Gar
09-21-2011, 11:24 PM
Let's just spread the field of fire a little..... All people aren't pigs, but most of them aren't worth the ammo to blow them to heaven (ya right) either.

Charger, Heck, I'm the only sane person that I know. Eh? Bad news is that they are all somewhat balled up regardless of the first person's perceptions.

It has been my pleasure to know many thousands of very fine people. I have know some bad ones, but the good outnumbered the bad 100 to 1.

Every one of the good ones were and are human beings and that means less than perfect. They don't measure up to our expectations because they are not us, they are them. We tend to think we are the measuring rod by which all others are measured.

My Great Aunt Lou Featherston told me 60 years ago... "You can't expect other to put up with your strange way, unless you are willing to put up with theirs." That was good advice for a boy and I have carried it with me into my senior years. All I expect of folks is they do their personal best to do the right thing, when they know what the right thing is. That is all any of us can do and I don't hold folks to higher standards than I can fulfill myself.

9.3X62AL
09-21-2011, 11:34 PM
As always, wise counsel and common sense from Chargar.

krag35
09-22-2011, 01:00 AM
My Wife has told me , that Her Mother told Her ever since she was a little girl.

" Want a Man, don't need one"

I have told Her since we got together

"I'll do what you tell me to, right up to the point I don't want to"

Kind of balances things out.

Char-Gar
09-22-2011, 01:20 AM
I have jokingly told every young groom...."Whatever a woman tells you to do, do it. Unless, it is illegal, immoral of life threatening! Do that and your life will be much easier."