PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Marlin in 45 Colt?

GARCIA
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Has anyone used any of the cast boolits from the "Ruger Only" mold from MP Molds in a 1894 Marlin?

What is the longest OAL that can be used and still function properly?

Have one being shipped to me as I am typing this out. Should arrive Friday or Saturday.

Any help is appreciated!

Tom

Tom-ADC
09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
Probably apples & oranges but I do use the "Ruger" only loads in my 1894 44 mag.

greywuuf
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Garcia i dont have a marlin, but I will be giving then a "shot" ( pun) in my Winchester 94, just as soon as my mold arrives.

ReloaderFred
09-22-2011, 01:34 PM
Tom,

What are you going to be using this rifle for? If it's just for plinking and general shooting, I've found the 200 gr. RNFP works great in my .45 Colt 1894 Cowboy. It's economical to cast and shoots great.

If this is going to be a hunting rifle, then a heavier bullet would be called for. Mine will feed 250 gr. SWC bullets with a very sharp shoulder, but it really depends on what the individual rifle likes. Some won't feed SWC bullets and some will. Mine is very accurate with both bullets.

Hope this helps.

Fred

GARCIA
09-22-2011, 03:42 PM
Just got it home about 2 hours ago.
It will easily digest the RCBS 270 SAA with no problems. Same with a loaded round being ejected.

Giving me fits with the "Ruger Only" MP Mold. Chambers with a little difficulty but no way is it going to eject it. It would appear as if the "hump" on the ejector is too far forward. May have to spend some time on it to get it fuctioning 100%.

Hear tell that the Wild West ejector is set back a little farther so that may be a viable solution.

Tom

markinalpine
09-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Here's one web-site with tips for tuning Marlin and other Leverguns:
Marauder's Rifle & Pistol Hints (http://marauder.homestead.com/rifles.html)
This is just one page from a very interesting web-site
Mark [smilie=s:

GARCIA
09-24-2011, 05:00 AM
Called Wild West Guns up in Anchorage AK. Gunsmith stated that the ejector hump is set back farther than the factory by 1/10th". Said you could even stone/grind the hump back even further if need be.

Going to order one and see what happens.

Tom