PDA

View Full Version : Out Sourcing

azcoyhunter
01-31-2007, 04:55 PM
Shooters

Has anybody out there in Cast Boolit land, ever been OUT SOURCED?

I just got out sourced, to happen June 30th.

I do not think I will have a job.

Clint

Jetwrench
01-31-2007, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. Never had it happen to me. I hope you find light at the end of the tunnel.JETWRENCH

Pepe Ray
02-01-2007, 12:44 AM
In my experiance- Begin your job hunt immediately. Your much more appealing while you have a job. I'm not sure why.
Pepe Ray

lurch
02-01-2007, 12:52 AM
Bummer.... Being in a tedhnical field (analog electrical engineering), there is always that possibility lurking around me too. Thankfully, that does not seem to be the direction my company is taking. We are having trouble finding qualified applicants to do the work and for now, retention is a priority for us.

I sincerely hope that you will be at peace through it all and find a better position in a timely fashion.

Pepe Ray has it right in his sig...

Dale53
02-01-2007, 01:15 AM
azcoyhunter;
Sorry to hear of your difficulty. Seriously consider what Pepe Ray advised. It seems much easier to get a job when you have a job. Sounds ridiculous but I truly believe it.

Dale53

9.3X62AL
02-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Sorry to hear this, AZ. I haven't been a victim of this process myself, but the other day I got an idea to return to work after a couple years of retirement. In putting together a resume', I discovered that only one of my past employers (the Sheriff's Department) still existed in business in anything like the form it had when I worked there. Very little in the business world seems to stay in place, in other words.

7br
02-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Outsourcing must be code for "We can't manage". Several things to consider. Your wages, benefits, and all the costs for you to work there must be born by someone. If the outsourcing company is going to make money, something has to go.

MT Gianni
02-01-2007, 10:15 AM
The only reason to stay until the end is if a major severance package is offered to do so. I have been downsized and watched while my employer shut down several aspects of it's business. Even if you are offered 6 months salary and jump the sinking ship to tale a good job in an area you like, I believe that you are better off. Gianni.

Boz330
02-01-2007, 10:42 AM
What Pepe Ray said seems to be the deal around here as well.
You have my best wishes.
It happened to me 2 weeks before Christmas in 95 without any warning. Turned out to be one of the best things that ever happened to me. I had a couple of friends that stepped up and helped me with their expertise to get my own business going. I'm not getting rich but I really do like what I do and there is a lot to be said for that. It also proved to me beyond a doubt "That what goes around, coimes around". I have always tried to treat folks the way I want to be treated and it payed off in spade in this case.:drinks:

The best of luck to you, and I hope it works the same way for you.

Bob

carpetman
02-01-2007, 02:08 PM
One of my daughters has an amazing ability to know a lot of people. Besides her travels with me in the military,she was married to a military man and world wide she seems to run across people she knows. She worked for a law firm that decided they would down size. They neglected to tell her that her job would be eliminated--wasn't handy to tell her yet. But she learned--remember I said she knows a lot of people. Soon after she learned of this, she happened to see a guy that she knew and he said they were looking for someone to hire and would she be interested? He was in the hiring position. Done deal. With little notice she told the firm that was going to release her later. They were upset,they didn't have time to USE her to train a replacement. Didn't seem to grasp that what she was doing was what they had planned on doing to her. They had to conceed that she was going into a better job--but how did she find it? She said for the first time ever she was getting a job from knowing the right person. Funny thing within a couple of weeks on the new job (in Utah)one of their clients was a kid she knew as a troubled youth in North Carolina.

felix
02-01-2007, 02:25 PM
I had 15 jobs in 45 years. I was fired on half of them, and the others I would have been fired if I stayed. I sought the highest payer in my job seeking, knowing quite well that I would be fired after job completion. My field was computers, and it just so happened the jobs were plentiful except for the last 10 years when outsourcing became popular because of folks like me who actually tried to milk the system for all of its worth. This path is not recommended in today's economic climate here in the US, but would be appropriate if you wanted to consider working in the far east. Folks over there are all becomiing "consultants" as the cradle-to-grave jobs are just about gone all over the world. Remember the Our Father prayer in totum, and most particularly the part that references "our daily bread". ... felix

TDB9901
02-01-2007, 04:36 PM
Out-sourcing seems to be the way of the world anymore.

Our jobs here are disappearing, even when we can show on paper,........ in figures anyone should understand......... that we can do the job better, and save money in the long run over the contractors. The Corporate big shots don't want to hear it. They've made up their minds, don't confuse them with facts.

So far Ive had seniority enough to hang on, but I'm back to working nights.

Hang in, and start looking, everything happens for a reason, and this may turn out for the best.. Regardless of how it looks now.

TB

Scrounger
02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
By their competetive nature all businesses should tend to be heartless and cutthroat; when one isn't, there is usually a good reason. Sometimes that reason is called "kickback". There are other reasons, like taxes, government pressure, friends and family and others I have not thought of. Here's another 'for instance': What if your boss wanted to put the company in a bad financial position to set up a corporate take over, one in which he personally might come out ahead financially? There are always ways for one human being to put himself in a better position than someone else. Planning and conniving never ends...

JeffinNZ
02-01-2007, 05:32 PM
Like BOZ330 it was the best thing that happened to me.

My serverance was my idea and the package was well worth the risk. I took a 6 month "holiday" doing warehouse work and stumbled into a new career. 6 years on I now have skills and qualifications in the new industry that mean I can walk into to work just about anywhere.

The only constant in life is change. View it as an opportunity.