PDA

View Full Version : 45 acp K-98

inkedbylee
09-19-2011, 11:29 PM
about five years ago i traded for a K-98 but thats not the cool part. The best part is that its in 45 acp and takes a plane 1911 mag. There was a Co in texes that made the part for them and i have not looked for some time dont know if thare are even still open. Thay got the idea from back in WWII whan thay made some old enfields into suppresed 45 acp guns to take out gards and dogs. Thay to used a 1911 mag on them. The gun is just plane fun to shoot and the best part is the way it shoots. I have found that it take the 45 out to 25 yards with pen point shots. I have played with the powder and fond that with 6grs of herco onto of a 230gr FMJ works best and it will hold three rounds in one hole all day. I have killed a crow at 60 yards with a hollow point out of my carry gun win my other ammo was not right thare. I would say everyone needs one in the safe just to play with. One good thing is out of a 16" barrel you dont even need to use any thing for the sound as it really is not thare.

PatMarlin
09-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Pics? Sounds cool.

roverboy
09-20-2011, 01:43 AM
I've been thinking about one of these for a while now.

Ben
09-20-2011, 10:07 AM
The " catch " to us owning one like yours is your statement below :

There was a Co in texes that made the part for them

twidget
09-20-2011, 06:07 PM
It looks like they are still in Texas: http://www.troupsystems.com/mauser45kits.htm

Ben
09-21-2011, 01:10 AM
Ummmm, that's good , just might have to get a kit and try it out.

94Doug
09-21-2011, 01:55 AM
That does seem reasonable in cost as well.

Doug

PatMarlin
09-21-2011, 02:00 AM
I miss read it. I would love to have one of those.

Dutch4122
09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Sure looks tempting, eh? :mrgreen:

I hear that they used to offer a .45 Win Mag version using converted M1 Carbine mags? Now that would be a hoot!

TCLouis
09-21-2011, 09:44 AM
Dang, wish I had not seen that.

It gives me yet one more project to think about/get into.

John Taylor
09-23-2011, 08:14 AM
Many years ago there was a company making M1 carbines in 44 mag. Not auto loading but a pump rifle. I think it was called "Volcanic".
I like the bolt action in 45ACP.

dragonrider
09-23-2011, 09:10 AM
So now the dilemma, which to use, large ring or small??? :veryconfu

hicard
09-23-2011, 10:22 AM
I'd be tempted but I already have a Marlin 45 camp carbine which is light weight, semi auto and very accurate. Something to think about though. If I had an old mauser with a shot out barrel, it would be an option.

TCLouis
09-24-2011, 10:54 PM
Dragonrider

Save the large ring, no reason to use it for 45 ACP.
A friend gave me a small ring action a couple of years ago, maybe the source for a gun

Of course I have two of those "soft" Spanish actions that would be perfect with the low pressure loads of the 45 ACP.

dragonrider
09-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I have several small and large ring actions hanging about, I'll use a small maybe order a kit this week.

Moonie
09-26-2011, 02:13 PM
Well now, quick use of a reamer and you have a bolt action 460 Rowland...

deltaenterprizes
10-23-2011, 10:29 PM
I just got my project gun!

Artful
10-24-2011, 01:02 AM
I'd be tempted but I already have a Marlin 45 camp carbine which is light weight, semi auto and very accurate. Something to think about though. If I had an old mauser with a shot out barrel, it would be an option.

If you have an old SMLE that was bubba'd you can also do the 45 conversion thanks to SIA in NV - I did one and like it a lot

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3556/dsc06030.jpg

Larry Gibson
10-24-2011, 02:06 AM
Those a Rhineland conversions as discussed in the thread under this one.

Larry Gibson

PatMarlin
10-24-2011, 11:46 AM
That SMLE ROCKS!

Aaron
10-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Does anyone know if an 1891 Mauser could be used?

Thanks

Aaron

Larry Gibson
10-24-2011, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know if an 1891 Mauser could be used?

Thanks

Aaron

Nope, the kit won't fit it and the M91 is a push feed. Much too far a jump from the mag to the chamber mouth for the short .45 ACP. On the M93/98 conversions it is imperative the case rim is picked up under the CRF extrtactor of either. Even the some styles of bullets hit the reinforcing ring or the edge of the barrel and jam.

Larry Gibson

Shooter6br
10-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Love mine but a bolt 45ACP would be nice i have 3 45ACP,s Kimber Target II ss , Mech Tech carbine, and Smith 25-2 6 in Target

trooperdan
10-24-2011, 10:37 PM
Would a Turk 1903 or a 1938 Mauser action be preferred for this conversion?

trooperdan
10-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Answering my own question! Rhineland recommended the 1938 Turk so I ordered one from AllansArmory for $125. Now I hope it isn't too nice to convert! I really should look for an action only, I think Century has 1894 Brazil actions.. too bad it would have to go to a dealer, not C&R!

PatMarlin
10-26-2011, 11:18 AM
SHoulda bought 2 Dan ...:mrgreen:

Mk42gunner
10-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Answering my own question! Rhineland recommended the 1938 Turk so I ordered one from AllansArmory for $125. Now I hope it isn't too nice to convert! I really should look for an action only, I think Century has 1894 Brazil actions.. too bad it would have to go to a dealer, not C&R!

A few words of advice-- Don't shoot the donor. That has ruined more projects for me than lack of funds.

Robert

x101airborne
10-28-2011, 08:37 AM
I was standing next to lee in my kitchen when he shot that crow. "Boom" and the crow just blew up. Literally torn to pieces. One of the coolest things I have ever seen. I have been trying to get that rifle from him since before he made that shot.

deltaenterprizes
10-28-2011, 09:06 PM
I will have my kit soon! I was not able to order on the site, I had to order by email and have a paypal invoice sent.
Kit is supposed to ship Wednesday.

Wots
12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
I would like to try this projetct.
Is there a phone number for Rhineland?
Apparently emails do not work.

deltaenterprizes
12-04-2011, 12:05 AM
972-382-5515, it may be a fax number. I got my kit and finished it, but have not gotten to shoot it yet.

All of my communications were through the email address info@troupsystems.com

inkedbylee
12-11-2011, 10:38 PM
sorry i have not looked over this in some time this gun is as fun as it sounds even with plane 45 acp ammo i like running it a little hot and getting it out abit more. This gun makes me think of trying to change a 91/30 to something strange just to do it and you can get 91/30 for $75 think about it and let me know what you all come up with maybe ill try it.

inkedbylee
12-11-2011, 10:47 PM
oh and this little gun will shoot a single hole with 3 rounds at 25 yards i love it. if you have one let me know what you run in yours im always looking for new loads to try. If you are going to make one i hope you do you will not be unhappy with it.

greywuuf
12-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Working on it , working on it .....
if i did not go so stupid on the stock "resto" i could be shooting it by now. hopefully it will be enough fun that spending a week or two making the stock nicer will be worth while

W.R.Buchanan
12-12-2011, 08:53 PM
OK guys: you hooked me, and today I found a Large ring/Small ring Mauser action,,, I think it is a Spanish Mauser model for $75. Gonna pick it up from the guys house later this week

It has the large ring of the M98 but uses small ring barrel threads. I'll relay more info when I actually get the thing in hand.

My plan is to do Mannlicher style sporter carbine. With iron sights IE Lyman rear and blade front with maybe a tritium insert. You really do need night sights on a proper Can Gun

Exactly what I need,,,, another project, but I couldn't pass up the action for $75! I think this will make a real fun gun.

Randy

greywuuf
12-12-2011, 11:12 PM
From what little I know, the Large rind/small thread is a Turkish Trade mark. I am no expert and other countries may have done the same. Just thought it might help in the ID or your Find.

W.R.Buchanan
12-13-2011, 02:49 PM
Wuuf: I don't really know either but I'll find out from the guy, and update.

I am almost hoping that the action has some pitting so I can use the Duracoat paint I bought 2 years ago on it.

Well see and I'll show pics when I get the thing.

Randy

inkedbylee
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
nice on the $75 take your time with the paint if not you will pay for it down the line and end up haveing to do it over.

greywuuf
12-13-2011, 05:05 PM
you guys and your paint.... I wish I could go ahead and do that , trouble is I derusted mine with the old standby citric acid, and it colored it a nice even light grey, makes me think it will parkerize very nicely, and looking at it I have only about two little dings that I wont be able to work out. Now I have to play the whole metal working game and sand out all the milling marks and clean this thing up, a Good coat of Durakote would realy be easy compared to what I think I am going to end up doing ! I am about half thinking I should get a couple of rattle cans of Camo paints and slap it together and go shooting ;-)

greywuuf
12-13-2011, 05:11 PM
is anyone interested in some "construction" photo's ?
I just uploaded some problem area's to my Flikr account. and I could share them here if we like pictures.

greywuuf
12-13-2011, 05:22 PM
ok so I am posting some pic's

this is kind of an over all shot , almost have the last of 60+ years of oil sucked out of the stock and am about ready to start the wood butchering.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7014/6507165655_df5a4d5340_z.jpg

these next 3 are problem area's.. things that make my small ring not fit in a large ring stock:

the tang ... mine has a boss, the stock is flat.. minor in letting
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7029/6507154559_9107e45202_z.jpg

the mag well, the stock is cut for a mag well that is "flat" mine has a hump, again minor in letting:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6507160159_e576d203ee_z.jpg

and finally the action screws, the large ring is 1/4" longer than the Small ring, probably oval the holes and make a little rosewood or faux ebony plug to fill the gap:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7142/6507157351_cbcc7def1f_z.jpg

and one more kind of a perspective:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7034/6507162783_2ebe9def7c_z.jpg

Wots
12-13-2011, 05:23 PM
is anyone interested in some "construction" photo's ?
I just uploaded some problem area's to my Flikr account. and I could share them here if we like pictures.

Picture's would be good. :Fire:

greywuuf
12-13-2011, 08:45 PM
Wow, I am a butcher, rat tailed a groove for the back of the mag well, 1 down 2 to go !

W.R.Buchanan
12-17-2011, 08:21 PM
Ok guys,,, I picked up my action today. Not bad for $75! It is a Turkish Mauser. The guy kept telling me it was a Spanish Mauser but I don't think so, as it has a moon with star insignia on the front ring along with the word ANK (moon) ARA, and since Ankara is a town in Turkey, I'm inclined to go with that assumption, and anyone can feel free to chime in with other opinions.

It is a Large ring 98 mauser with Small Ring barrel threads and I know that this is a trait of the Turkish Mausers.

It looked like it had been reblued in the poor light, but when I got home there was a bunch of black stuff on my hands. When I sprayed it with brake cleaner the paint started coming off. So I wire brushed it a little more.

Unfortunately I did not take before pics, but you can still see what it looked like with most of the paint on it.

It has a few small pits on the front ring but aside from that it is pretty clean, and will clean up even better when I bead blast it.

I can't live with paint in the bolt races, It just makes the bolt too sticky.

I went after the bolt with my Scotchbrite Fuzz Wheel and shined it up.. It has a few pitts here and there but nothing that won't cover up with a good grit blast and maybe some rust blue.

I don't know exactly what I'm going to do for finish on this one yet. I have to get into it a little deeper. I have Duracoat I could shoot on it and I have access to platers that would do a variety of finishes as "Samples" to me for free, kind of like what I did on my RGS77 bolt. Or I could parkerize it in the shop or ???.

I do know this will be a fun project that won't take forever to complete and should yeild a good shooting and real fun gun in the end. And it could come in handy during the upcoming insurgency, or Zombie Apocalypse

I have a Mannlicher style sporter in mind with a Lyman sight on the back and some kind of cool blade on the front, and maybe a gray laminate full length stock. It will defiantely have a side mounted sling similar to a Swede Carbine.

There's some pics of the score, but you must go on the other thread ot see them..

Randy

PatMarlin
12-17-2011, 10:22 PM
A Turk should Wurk Randy ...:mrgreen:

greywuuf
12-17-2011, 10:53 PM
those are the same markings I have on my Small ring turk. So far aside from some self generated problem re: the stock my turk is working out just fine. Nice find and I hope it comes together and we see it shooting here real soon.

inkedbylee
12-18-2011, 02:04 PM
greywuuf i dont think i would paint that gun it looks way to good for it. My .45 k98 had to get paint it was just to bad to look at befor paint. but i have painted most anything and guns are just fun. After me and tray open the gun shop ill be doing alot more custom paint on guns duracoat is going to know me by first name i hope. Hey maybe after sometime you can send rifles to us to get custom paint. greywuuf send pics after its all done are you going to scope it thats what i did.

greywuuf
12-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Ahh but I have not shown you the top of the front ring, it looks like someone removed the handguard ring with a hammer, a lot of little dents and dings in the lettering, it just bugs me... it can all be filled easily enough, but not by anything that will take blueing or parkerizing, I was thinking a light skim coat of Devcon or "bondo" and I could have it Duracoated. I was considering chasing some of the lettering with an engravers chisel ... it would help but there would still be some obvious dings ........ kinda obsesive over an old mil surp turned blaster ;-)

Dan
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7147/6532789343_74ea2db576_z.jpg

inkedbylee
12-21-2011, 02:34 PM
the more i look at the posts the more i want to use the terk i have sitting in the gun room to billed a new on i wander if thay would make a kit in .460 rowland just so i dont have 2 of the same guns. If anyone has a 460 rawland in a 1911 i would love to know what you think of it over all.

W.R.Buchanan
12-22-2011, 02:55 PM
wuuf: Short of filling them with weld there's not much you could do with those dents.

Alot of times in the shop we drop parts on the floor. They ALWAYS land on a corner of the part. I take a small ball peen hammer, and I have a 4 oz one specifically for this and tooncing on other things that require gentile persuassion, and toonce on it until the displaced metal is back where it came from. I can usually get stuff pretty close to where it was before. BUT,,, these type of dents are always on an edge.

Your's are not on an edge so the displaced metal has raised up the top surface of the metal around the dent. You could try gently tooncing around the dents and get some of the dents closed up a little but you are never going to get them all the way out.

Another option is to peen the rest of the top surface, so it matches the dents? This would be the same result as a Hammer Tone finish if you painted it except it wouldn't come off. I don't think I'd do this unless it was so bad there was no other choice, and I just couldn't live with the few dents you have. Also it would warp the action so forget this option.

If you sand blast the surface with really coarse sand it would probably camoflage most of the dents to where you wouldn't really see them , then do a black/blued finish and you would never notice them unless you knew exactly where to look.

I grit Blasted my action to get the paint off it and to blend in many small dings and dents, and to cover up some of the small pits. it works just fine for the intended purpose.

I find sometimes you just have to know when to quit. I always try to be ahead when that happens.

Randy

greywuuf
12-22-2011, 03:39 PM
Randy: Mayhaps I could get em filled in if I had it silver or nickle plated ( kidding) yeah I know I wont be rid of them unless I do a devcon/paint thing. i will likely just go grey phosphate ( after a good coarse glass bead ) and live with it.
Dan

W.R.Buchanan
12-22-2011, 06:19 PM
dan: I'm probably just going to do the same thing.. I need to research the Phosphate treatment and see if it is something I can do in the shop. I'll get out the Brownells book later..

I can do Parkerizing but it will be a dull gray and not black, and I really want black like my Ruger GS. Plus black won't show what pitting I do have left as much as the gray would.

I'm going to call Richards today and see what their lead time is for the stock, and I'll get back to you with what they say. I hesitant to use them based on what I've heard, but you never know maybe their not as bad as people think. I know they have a very extensive website and why would anyone go to that much trouble and keep it updated if they didn't deliver?

In todays internet world the word gets around pretty fast if things are not going well for someone. kNowing that should keep most people honest, you'd think?

Randy

greywuuf
12-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Brownells sells "Amerline, pre parkerizing dip", supposed to do a dark black park job. I tried it once but it washed off... not suprising as I tried parking the same piece again without the pre dip, and it didn't take, the steel was just way to hard. I have not done any more parking since then but I have high hopes that it will work. I have a good feelingabout a decent dark grey on the mauser though, seeing as how even and dark just the warm Citric acid came out.

W.R.Buchanan
12-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Dan: I called Brownells and they recommended the same thing however Ameroline is out actually of business. They have something else now.

I also called Richards and they guy told me if it is "instock item" I can walk out with it. If it is something they have to make then it is 6 weeks. I asked them how busy they were and he said it has been completely insane for the last 3 years. Thus coinciding with the election of our fearless leader the biggest boon to gunsales to come along, in a long time!

Also your stock needs should be very similar to mine as we are both using Turks with Military style barrels, I'm looking at one of the basic sporter styles that is $79.95 in either gray or camo colors and he said alot of that stuff is in stock and ready to go. If you decide to go that way too I could pick and extra one and ship it to you at the same time I get mine. It's there if you want or not, up to you.

As soon as I get my Rhineland kit I will go to Sunland (about one hour drive from here in Ojai) and check out their operation and see what they've got in stock, and will report back. I'll probably do this the week after New Years.

Pics of the citrus acid blue job please?

Randy

greywuuf
12-22-2011, 10:16 PM
Thank you for the offer on the stock. I do not know if I am interested for not. It will kind of depend on my money situation after the holidays.

As far as the citric acid "blue job" it was totally unintentional, and is just a like grey. I was just impressed with how even the color was. It makes me beleive that a conventional park job would not look "splotchy" as some of mine have. All of the photo's I posted of the stock issues are post acid dip.

Homeland defense begins at home. I'm not there. Sent from a mobile device using a commercial app.

W.R.Buchanan
12-27-2011, 02:06 PM
My kit is shipping tomarrow: Yippee,,,

Will be going to Richards next week to look at and possibly buy a stock if they have one complete. Yipee,,,

Dan: just let me know, and in any event, I will take an inventory of what they've got and get back to everyone.

Randy

inkedbylee
01-07-2012, 12:22 AM
what do you all think about one in .460 think it would be fun or just not worth buying the brass i know 460 brass is kind of up there and i have about 15,000 45acp brass sitting here.

Artful
01-07-2012, 01:35 PM
what do you all think about one in .460 think it would be fun or just not worth buying the brass i know 460 brass is kind of up there and i have about 15,000 45acp brass sitting here.

The 460 Rowland case is 1/16 of an inch longer than the .45 ACP shell casing to prevent it from chambering in an unmodified .45 ACP gun, but in many models, the .45 ACP will still function in a 460 Rowland chamber, provided your extractor will hold it back against the firing pin.

Elkins45
01-15-2012, 01:43 PM
The 460 Rowland case is 1/16 of an inch longer than the .45 ACP shell casing to prevent it from chambering in an unmodified .45 ACP gun, but in many models, the .45 ACP will still function in a 460 Rowland chamber, provided your extractor will hold it back against the firing pin.

I would think that if any extractor could hold it in place it would be a Mauser extractor!

I have an old Siamese action I've been afraid to do anything with, but 45 ACP sounds like an interesting idea that would be low pressure enough to safely use. Hmmmm....

dano440
01-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I am going out in a bit to test fire mine been working on it for week and last night I just got the sights on, and its now back in the stock.