PDA

View Full Version : Sgt Dakota Meyer's Congressional Medal Of Honour Ceremony

Bad Water Bill
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
http://www.military.com/video/forces/marine-corps/medal-of-honor-for-sergeant-dakota-l-meyer/1162047210001/

Where else to post this but in our town. Everyone would be proud to say HE IS FROM OUR TOWN

metweezer
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
It's a crying shame that the 4 soldiers he was trying to rescue perished. He is truly an american hero.

curiousgeorge
09-20-2011, 01:48 PM
He IS from MY town, Greensburg, KY. And Bill, you are absolutely correct that we all should claim him, and all of America be proud of him. You will not meet a more respectful, down to earth and humble person.

Our local fall festival was held this last weekend. Get ready, here it comes, it is called "COW DAYS !!". Don't ask why, it is a long story. Greensburg has approx 1800 people now and has been declining for about 35 years. Normally the festival attracts approx 2000 - 3000 people total from the surrounding counties.

Dakota Meyer came back to be in the parade. We had over 20,000 people including the Governor, local State Representative, local State Senator, national House of Representatives person for this area, and KY Senator Mitch McConnell.

Mr. Meyer got there about 2 hours before the parade and spent his time going through the crowd meeting people, shaking hands, and having his picture made with anyone and everyone. After the parade, all the politicians gave their speeches and presentations during the ceremony to recognize him. Then he walked up the street and sat in a booth giving autographs and pictures for about 2 more hours.

Through all of this, never any hint that any of this has gone to his head and that he has become a "big shot". Nothing but "Yes Sir, Yes Maam", "I'm no hero, I was just doing my job".

Sometimes some of us "Old Coots" get a little discouraged by what we perceive to be the lack of "what we were made of when we were their age" in the younger generations. I think that Dakota Meyer is a reminder to all of us, me at the head of the line, that there are still some great kids out there that we can be proud of.

Steve

Got-R-Did
09-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Proud to know a fellow Kentuckian was awarded this highest of accolades for bravery and unselfish heroism! I have been following the story of this amazing young man for some time, but sadly not through the local media. I actually found out about it though a link from a good friend in CA. Lots of Veterans in my Family Tree to include my Grandfather, Father, and little Brother (my Father was awarded the Bronze Star for actions in Vietnam, and my little Brother has two for his actions in two of his three tours in Iraq.) To the credit of the WHAS-11 in Louisville, KY, they did send a crew to the above mentioned homecoming for Sgt. Meyer and covered the celebration with the utmost of respect and reverence for him and Greensburg.
Looks like my little town, and a fine place to call home.
Cheers,
Got-R-Did.