PDA

View Full Version : Do I Crimp The .223?

UtopiaTexasG19
09-19-2011, 08:05 PM
On rifle bullets up until now I have only re-loaded the 30-30 Winchester which are crimped since they go into a tubular magazine. I plan on working up some .223 for a AR15 and wonder if the .223 needs to be crimped also. The commercial rounds I have now show no sign of crimping. Thanks...

thehouseproduct
09-19-2011, 08:08 PM
I usually do, I don't have any gain for my purposes to not crimp.

Wally
09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
I use a taper crimp on mine...

GabbyM
09-19-2011, 08:19 PM
With some of the old M-16 magazines the case neck will hit the front of the magazine as the bullet is pushed over. Never near enough to stop the action just nicks the brass a tad. If the bullets have a crimp grove I'll crimp them in about half the neck wall thickness. Not even going flush. That's enough to keep them from hangng on the old mags and on my newer magazines the necks don't hit anyway. I never crimp the match bullets with no crimp grove.
Been shooting AR's for forty-five years and never had a bullet move. Knock wood. All 53 to 55 grain bullets up until last year when I got a tighter twist AR.

300winmag
09-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I have found that 223 is easy to buckle the shoulder so I went to the Lee factory collet crimp die and I like it.

superior
09-19-2011, 08:45 PM
I've loaded the .223 for over 20 years for a bolt action varmint rifle and have never crimped.
I load 21 grains 4198 for 1/2 minute of angle accuracy. However, if I were to load for my Colt AR-15, I would crimp slightly to help the ammo withstand the rigors of cycling in the semi-auto action. I have fired some of my uncrimped varmint loads through the AR with no ill effects and one ragged hole at 50 yards using the standard military sights, but I would definitely crimp if I were to dedicate some .223's for that purpose.

carlsonwayne
09-20-2011, 12:45 AM
I crimp all mine with the Lee Factory crimp die too. I use it on ALL of my loads, just because.

MtGun44
09-20-2011, 12:56 AM
Lee factory crimp die is PERFECT for rifles. The same name is used for a totally different
concept die for pistols - that has caused problems for many members, although a few are
staunch supporters. IMO, stay away from PISTOL Lee factory crimp dies, and be sure you
have a RIFLE Lee factory crimp die. A bit confusing.

The military thinks a .223 round that is going to run through an M-16 or M4 needs a crimp,
and the Lee factory crimp die does it right with no opportunity to buckle the case.

Bill

Moonie
09-20-2011, 02:14 PM
I had some issues with setback with some loads I didn't crimp for my sons AR-15 5.56.

williamwaco
09-20-2011, 02:25 PM
With some of the old M-16 magazines the case neck will hit the front of the magazine as the bullet is pushed over. Never near enough to stop the action just nicks the brass a tad. If the bullets have a crimp grove I'll crimp them in about half the neck wall thickness. Not even going flush. That's enough to keep them from hangng on the old mags and on my newer magazines the necks don't hit anyway. I never crimp the match bullets with no crimp grove.
Been shooting AR's for forty-five years and never had a bullet move. Knock wood. All 53 to 55 grain bullets up until last year when I got a tighter twist AR.

Some time in the 60's I bought a Colt AR-15. Put about 500 rounds through it. Never crimped, no problems.

I decided I wanted more "Bang". When the Ruger AC-556 became available, I bought one immediately. I put around 2000 rounds through in 3 round bursts and longer bursts. Never crimped.

In my case, with my two rifles, it was not necessary. ( Of course, two rifles does not prove the point. )

Alas, I had to sell that baby because I couldn't afford to feed her.

Larry Gibson
09-20-2011, 04:07 PM
With j bullets in the .223 for use in and AR or Mini14 I do not crimp and have not had problems. However, with cast bullets I do crimp. Cast bullets have blunter noses than J bullets and hit the feed ramp differently. This is with ARs especially. The Mini14 can be more forgiving. With 225415, 225438 and 225462 I've found that crimping is necessary with most ARs, some exceptions though so only your rifle can answer that.

Larry Gibson