PDA

View Full Version : Powder choice?

Jim
09-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Here's the objective: Create a load for a Ruger three screw Blackhawk usind .360 RBs in .357 cases with a low velocity of 5 to 600 FPS.
I have Bullseye, Unique and Red Dot. Which would you suggest I start with?

Nobade
09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
Start with unsized cases previously fired in your gun, 1.5gr. to start of either Red Dot or Bullseye. Tumble lube the balls with Lee liquid alox, seat them in cases with a wooden dowel until they don't go any deeper. If 1.5gr. isn't fast enough, adjust accordingly to get the speed you desire. It won't take much. Usually quite accurate, and not enough recoil to pull the balls out of the cases. (Watch for this though.) They will hit way lower than normal bullets so you have to adjust or hold off. If the primers back out and tie up the cylinder you have to drill out the flash holes bigger until that stops. If you do, don't use those cases for normal ammo again. Keep them separate.

Jim
09-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm curious, what's the advantage or necessity of deep seating the RBs as opposed to seating to the diameter with a mild crimp?

felix
09-19-2011, 02:52 PM
No filler needed. ... felix

Jim
09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
Thanks, Felix! I was wondering about that.

geargnasher
09-19-2011, 04:01 PM
I'd roll the RBs in 45/45/10 Recluse lube, and load them over a pinch of Bullseye with a half-grain tuft of Dacron, not because any filler would be needed to make the powder burn right (as I believe was Felix's point), but to prevent leading. I've had RBs lead with smokeless powder before, and the tumble-lube plus a little Dacron to act as a cork behind the ball and stop gas-cutting sure fixed the leading issues.

Gear

Jim
09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I just got back from doing a little testing. 2 grains of Bullseye works fairly decent with the .360 RBs. I believe I do need to do something to locate the powder. I got different volumes of reports across six shots.

Another thing I'm going to try is some 100-312-1Rs in a .32 H&R mag Ruger Single Six. Tryin' to work up a pretty quiet load with a small boolit. The .32 Single Six might be easier to use toward that. It will certainly be lighter and easier to carry than a Blackhawk in 6.5".

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

XWrench3
09-19-2011, 06:18 PM
bullseye would be my choice. i use it a LOT!