PDA

View Full Version : DIY stick ingot mold

dbotos
01-30-2007, 11:43 PM
Was getting tired of lowering the muffin-style ingots into the 4-20 with tongs (to avoid splashing) and had heard of someone using breadstick molds to make stick ingots that you could just sit upright and would melt down into the rest of the pot. So being the CRB/DIYer that I am, I came up with this:

Some 1" x 1" x 0.125" angle iron with 1" x 0.125" endplates welded on at a slight draft angle. Made a sample ingot with some range-recovered bullets and the blowtorch:

dbotos
01-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Here's the six-banger version I plan on making soon:

ANeat
01-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Yea those work real well
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h165/aneat/Lead/Image035.jpg

Adam

BigSlick
01-30-2007, 11:59 PM
How did you cut the ends of the channel at an angle ?

I'm looking at doing the same thing, but don't have any means of making the cuts so they are even unless I do it manually and I ain't about to do it with a hacksaw.

I have access to a cut off saw, but that will be a hassle as I have to transport it.

What kind of weld did you use ? I'm looking at using .030 flux core, but can do 75/25 if that's better. The real problem is I'm a crappy welder and don't have a TIG.

Is the channel you used iron or steel ?

They look great, I just need about 10 with 8-12 sections and I would be good.

I have been able to procure some channel iron like the other ones ANeat posted before. I'm thinking a 8-10" long section would work OK.
________
Launch box review (http://vaporizer.org/reviews)

ANeat
01-31-2007, 01:15 AM
I use one of those inexpensive horizontal band saws that you see everywhere. When I cut the angle I just shim up one end. It doesnt take much, I think I shimmed mine up with a piece of 1/2 metal and used angle iron. I could also just pivot the vise on the saw, either way is pretty easy. I used a Tig on the one in the pic but Ive done others at work with a Mig. I just turn up the heat a little more than normal so the weld will lay down a little flatter.

It doesnt have to be perfect but you do have to avoid getting any voids or anthing that will keep the ingot from falling out.

Adam

dbotos
01-31-2007, 09:02 PM
I cut the prototype one with a reciprocating saw. I need to invest in an abrasive chop saw at some point - probably before I make the 6-banger version. Looks like brand name chop saws start at $140-$150. You could always see if a buddy has one or get chummy with someone at a shop that has one.

I think most chop saws have an adjustable angle rear jaw. I also like ANeat's shimming idea.

I used my little Lincoln flux-core to weld the prototype. Only put beads on the underside. I need to upgrade to a regular gas-shielded MIG one of these days.

Angle is just regular low carbon steel stuff. I know lots of steel bedframes are made of angle if you see anyone chucking one.

My protype mold makes about a 6" long ingot, which seems about right for the 4-20.

:Fire:

cohutt
01-31-2007, 09:07 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008GKDT.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

Deja-vu all over again.....

Seems like i posted this in another forum recently in a quite similar thread by quite similar people.

ANeat
01-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Here is a similar version of the saw I use http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93762

One thing Ive always hated about the abrasive chop saws is all the darn sparks flying everywhere. With all the stuff in my garage sparks flying everywhere like off a chop saw make me nervous. :???:

Adam

kywoodwrkr
01-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Local tractor supply and repair shop has a very alrge cutoff saw that would be perfect for this.
Machine shop may have one.
I used an abrasive metal cutting wheel on my old Ryobi for cutting some rebar.
Cut like butter.
I'd think one piece of angle iron laid down open side down the you could use this as outside fence for cutting.
DaveP

boommer
01-31-2007, 11:39 PM
you can buy metal cutting blades for your circler saw work just fine. just then burn
some rod !

Dale53
02-01-2007, 12:44 AM
Here's another possibility:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44829

Dale53

dmftoy1
02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
FWIW I used my chop saw and just clamped a piece of 1 inch square tubing about 6 inches from the cutoff wheel. By positioning the angle with the point of the V "up" and indexing in the same place for all my cuts it came out really even. I was amazed at how flush my side plates sat when I was done.

Have a good one,
Dave

C1PNR
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
I used BruceB's design (I've got a LOT of empty ammo cans I can use) and made a couple of 4 banger ingot moulds.

My Brother has the saws and welder so I cut the stock and he did the fabrication. Works very well!

Dale53
02-01-2007, 07:18 PM
I have a good friend who is a professional welder. He was kind enough to make my smelting pot (80 lbs total capacity, with 60 lbs working capacity) and two multi cavity angle iron ingot moulds that produce five lb ingots. Added together with my several regular ingot moulds (1 lb and ½ lb ) I am all set. You just need to "buy a round" at the appropriate time.

Like the man says, "You need to BE a friend, before you can HAVE friends". What goes around, comes around...

Dale53, the ol' philosopher (emphasis on old:))

Buckshot
02-02-2007, 03:14 AM
...............Problem with a chop saw is the abrasive dust and it can raise a very sharp edge on the metal you're cutting. I bought one of those Horror Fright horizoltal band saws a couple years ago and it's still on the blade that came with it!!!!!!!!! I think it's getting a bit dull :-) When I bought mine it was on sale for $159 and I had a 15% off coupon off the internet. I wasn't too sure about it so I asked on the Home Shop Machinists forum, and it seemed EVERYONE had one. Plus there are a few sites on the net that show the modifications folks have done to them.

Some people have added coolent tanks and such. The base and arm of the saw are very well done iron castings. The legs are really cheap flimsy sheet metal. All I did to mine was to buy some of the 'L' shaped angle braces and tech screwed them to the corners of the legs.I then added a shelf that runs from front to back. It really stiffened it up. I also put 2 felt wipers on the blade where it enters the housing where the powered wheel is so it didn't drag metal filings up into it.

I don't think the motor is a very good one, but I haven't burned mine up yet :-) It's gotten so hot you couldn't touch it, and you could smell the paint but it just kept on. I've cut a lot of stuff on it and I'm pretty impressed by it. In fact it's about the best tool dollar I think I've spent on a machine. The setup is pretty simple, but it does shut itself off when it's completed a cut. If you do anymetal cutting at all, this thing has got a hack saw beat 85 ways to Sunday and no doubt.

.................Buckshot

jballs918
02-02-2007, 03:34 AM
hey has anyone tried a jig saw with a metal cutting blade

PPpastordon
02-02-2007, 10:30 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00008GKDT.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS260_.jpg

Deja-vu all over again.....

Seems like i posted this in another forum recently in a quite similar thread by quite similar people.

Well, all I can say is I bet our ingots sure do look alike! And they sure fit well into my pot.