PDA

View Full Version : New caster asks for equipment advice

PB234
09-18-2011, 11:58 AM
I want to start casting my own. Mostly small batches of what I want to shoot and have trouble otherwise getting. Rifle will need to attach gas checks and pistol plain base.

Top most on the needs is equipment that does not comprise on my safety. Second on the list is cost/enjoyable to use.

If I can secure equipment used and save some money all the better to stretch my budget although concerned that some equipment might be getting someone else's problems handed to me.

What should I begin looking for to start assembling the correct minimal equipment to safely cast, attach gas checks and size and lube.

Thanks for any advice.

09-18-2011, 01:34 PM
PB234,

My advise is to read through the stickies and archive and obtain Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook and Reloading Handbook. Each is extremely informative and have casting and reloading equipment articles, in addition to the most comprehensive cast boolit load listings.

New equipment, obviously, comes with a warranty, but there is nothing wrong with buying used. Better used values can be found on the Swappin & Sellin sub-forum, opposed to ebay.

btroj
09-18-2011, 10:20 PM
Do you have any experienced cast shooters in your area? Hands on learning can be of infinite value.
I will also say to get the Lyman cast bullet handbook- I prefer the info in the beginning of the 3rd edition to that in the 4th but not a big deal- just get one and read thru it. Then repeat the reading.
Get equipment that fits YOUR needs. For rifle high volume is not usually an issue so don't get caught up in 6 cav moulds or a Star sizer. A nice 2 holler and a Lyman or RCBS will do fine, as can a Lee push thru in many cases.
Ben is sort of a resident expert of late in low tech/low cost yet very functional and capable sizing/lubing techniques. You can use the search function or use the User CP, look up Ben, and see a list of posts by him.

Cast bullets of an appropriate alloy, lube with a reliable lube, and there are tons of them, and make sure they fit. Follow those basic rules and you will find success at your doorstep!

Bret4207
09-19-2011, 07:30 AM
Pot, ladle, heat source, mould and handles, a stick to stir/scrape with. That's about it beyond whatever personal protective gear you want. Sizing is often not needed in the common calibers, ut the Lee system is certainly the least expensive and works great. Lube can be tumbled on or applied by hand for the stuffer lubes. Gas Checks can also be applied with the Lee or by hand with a little Red Green engineering. A used lubersizer is fine, there's not much to go wrong with them beyond o rings.

SSGOldfart
09-19-2011, 02:05 PM
find a old cast iron pot flea markets and garage sales work here,Humm I also keep a old silver spoon around the casting pot,lead don't stick to siler very good,muffin pans make good molds,personal protective gear,not much said about it but you really need so saftey glasses and gloves,If I could warn you of onething it has to be the fact that water and hot lead don't mix at all,not even on drop of water
Okay I'll get off my soap box for now

PB234
09-19-2011, 09:27 PM
thanks for the help. looking forward to casting some of my own.

canyon-ghost
09-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Use the Search feature here, and read up on anything you want to do. You'll get 4 different ways to do the same thing, and have choices.

wv109323
09-19-2011, 10:49 PM
One question I would ask you before I would recommend equipment is how much/how many bullets are you going to cast you a month. Or how many cast rounds are you going to put downrange?
Also what level of shooting are you involved in?
Equipment recommendations would vary a lot from some one casting a few rifle bullets of .45 cal. to some one feeding a bullseye pistol with a big appetite and associated accuracy requirements.
With that said : on the lower side; one and two cavity molds are fine, tumble lube with unsized bullets will work; any pot of 10 lbs and a ladle. Exact lead content can vary and you will be happy.
On the other end of the spectrum; You will need at least four cavity molds; a 20 lb. pot with a bottom pour; means to smelt large amounts of lead for a consistent alloy; consistent alloy will lead to consistent as cast bullet size which leads to final sizing best suited for the bore of your barrel.
It is hard to say one size fits all.