PDA

View Full Version : Cast Boolits For All Handguns?

metweezer
09-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Can all handguns (semis and revolvers) accept cast boolits? Is there anything in a manufacturers gun which is not suitable for casting? How about caliber? I thought that I read somewhere that Glock handguns are not suitable for cast boolits. I am sorry if these questions appear amateurish but I am only trying to gather as much information as I can.
Steve

Catshooter
09-16-2011, 07:12 PM
met,

In the Handguns forum there is a sticky about Glocks & boolits. The rules/ideas for Glocks apply to all guns with polygonal bores.

Other than those, I don't know of any. Oh wait, I have heard that the Desert Eagle's gas system doesn't like cast. I sorta doubt that one though.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Cat

Stick_man
09-16-2011, 07:16 PM
Most if not all manufacturers will say to not use reloads in their guns. It is a liability thing. I have not seen any that specifically say to not use cast boolits. Glock might, but I am not 100% sure on that. Their barrels/rifling is different than most (I believe it is polygonal) and can lead to issues if extra care is not exercized. There are people that use cast in their factory Glocks without problems. Other people simply go with an aftermarket barrel to avoid the issues.

There is probably not a single commercial manufacture (brand) of centerfire handguns out there that has not had cast boolits fired through some of their guns. For that matter, we could probably even include rifles in that statement.

My feeling is that any gun you can shoot jacketed bullets through, you can also shoot cast boolits through just as well.

geargnasher
09-16-2011, 09:01 PM
...and rifles and shotguns and muzzle-loaders and slingshots, too!

I 've fired fewer than ten j-words in the last few years, and a few thousand cast boolits.

Gear

cbrick
09-16-2011, 09:15 PM
Do they still make them J-word things?

Rick

looseprojectile
09-16-2011, 10:14 PM
when factory loaded ammo for handguns was made with very soft swaged lead boolits. Those were famous for leading up your gun with just two or three shots.
I am sure that is where cast boolits got the bad rap.
Most manufacturers have abandoned that practice.
A cast boolit load can be made that shoots accurate without leading in any gun.
Mild to wild.
It takes the right combination of boolit size, alloy, powder and boolit lube.
Pick a cartridge and gun and the people here can help you get it right.
We have hardly ever given up on anyone.

Life is good

44man
09-17-2011, 09:08 AM
Do they still make them J-word things?

Rick
They must not sell many! Notice the prices lately. [smilie=l:

HammerMTB
09-17-2011, 09:57 AM
It's my understanding that the gas system of a Desert Eagle has passages that can't be cleaned of lead, so if a load should contaminate those passages, you would be hard pressed to fix it.
Other than that, any handgun I know of will shoot lead boolits. The Desert Eagle would, too, until it got clogged up.

XWrench3
09-17-2011, 11:33 AM
i shoot cast boolits in every handgun i own. 380acp, 38 special, 40 S&W, 45acp, and 44 magnum. i still shoot some "j" loads. i have a bunch of them left from my pre casting days. but i have not purchased any "J"' pistol bullets since i started casting.

garym1a2
09-17-2011, 12:19 PM
My 45 acp cast load shoots great in my brothers glock 21sf yet will lead in my 45acp kimber. Leading depends on the gun, boolit fit and other things.

MtGun44
09-17-2011, 05:47 PM
As a general rule - yes.

Bill

Inkman
09-17-2011, 09:03 PM
I shoot cast only in all my 1911s and starting to do the same in my .40s too.

Still have a ton of jacketed 9s to use up before shooting cast in those too.

Al

rockrat
09-17-2011, 09:06 PM
Have shot cast thru my Desert Eagle, till I read about the gas passage and a possibility of it getting clogged. Wonder about shooting a mag or two of jacketed thru, then back to cast.

Did hear, once it gets clogged, you can't unclog it and have a single shot pistol.

cbrick
09-17-2011, 09:21 PM
I've shot nothing but cast for 25+ years. Every now and then someone at the range will ask me why I only shoot cast bullets.

With a calm voice and straight face I tell them very honestly that:

Because my eyes are getting bad enough that I simply cannot afford the handicap of shooting jacketed.

Rick

goofyoldfart
09-18-2011, 01:41 AM
"Because my eyes are getting bad enough that I simply cannot afford the handicap of shooting jacketed"

Rick: really liked that one,LOL, and will definitely remember it. Thanks. God Bless to all.

Goofy

9.3X62AL
09-18-2011, 01:50 AM
I purchase my rifles and handguns with a mind toward using cast boolits in all of them. A gun design that precludes the use of cast boolits preludes its inclusion in my collection. I do shoot a few jacketed bullets from time to time--in varmint rifles or deer rifles in zones that require the use of non-lead bullets (rotten Commie condor-cuddling libtards.....).

mdi
09-18-2011, 11:33 AM
...and rifles and shotguns and muzzle-loaders and slingshots, too!

I 've fired fewer than ten j-words in the last few years, and a few thousand cast boolits.

Gear
I cast .432" round balls, WW air cooled, unsized, for my Wrist Rocket!

geargnasher
09-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I find that my wrist-rocket prefers .431" balls, but you know each one is different! :kidding:

It will kill a cottontail DRT at 20 yards if hit center-of-mass.

Gear

ColColt
09-18-2011, 02:40 PM
met,

In the Handguns forum there is a sticky about Glocks & boolits. The rules/ideas for Glocks apply to all guns with polygonal bores.

Other than those, I don't know of any. Oh wait, I have heard that the Desert Eagle's gas system doesn't like cast. I sorta doubt that one though.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Cat

I've heard the same thing about H&K's P7 but can attest to that never having owned one. I think it's a gas delayed blow back system.

Catshooter
09-18-2011, 04:02 PM
However, if there are ports in a gas system that cannot be cleaned of lead, how do you clean them of all the other stuff that would accumulate there?

That's why I don't beleive it.

Cat

geargnasher
09-18-2011, 04:54 PM
I would think the AR guys would be hollering all over the forums if properly loaded lead was a disaster to gas systems. Not saying it isn't a potential show-stopper with the MR pistols, but that I don't see why it can't be solved, especially with tools like the Foul Out and some piano wire.

Gear

cbrick
09-18-2011, 08:50 PM
I would think the AR guys would be hollering all over the forums if properly loaded lead was a disaster to gas systems. Not saying it isn't a potential show-stopper with the MR pistols, but that I don't see why it can't be solved, especially with tools like the Foul Out and some piano wire. Gear

Dunno Gear, most of the black gun crowd I've talked with would curl up on the ground and whimper like a puppy at the mere mention of cast bullets.

Besides, as much as I like to cast I don't think I'd want to try and keep with something that shoots 400 rounds a minute and don't hit nuttin. After all, it is the noise that kills'em. Isn't it? [smilie=1:

Rick