PDA

View Full Version : Getting Jarrett ready for season

Jim
09-16-2011, 08:28 AM
I'm gonna try to get over to Jarrett's house sometime this weekend. I've got to pick up his .44 Mag Handi Rifle, bring it back here and kinda' 'service' it for upcoming deer season.

The rifle has a 5 MOA dot sight on it. That's coming off and being replaced with a scope. The bore will get a good brushing and cleaning and the outside will get a good wipe down with some kind of silicone or teflon based oil.

I've got a box of .430 X 240 SWC experimental loads ready to go. I hope to get the rifle out to the range next week, find the sweet spot in the load window and get the scope dialed in.

I got a tickle outa Jarrett recently. I asked him if he wanted to go with me coon huntin' one night. He thought for a few seconds and said "Nah, I jus' wanna kill a deer."

Ruined for life!:holysheep

Wayne Smith
09-16-2011, 08:45 AM
I assume you know that, even with a scope, he will have to re-sight it before he takes it hunting. We all shoulder a gun differently.

geargnasher
09-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Indeed. I learned that the hard way by sighting on a bench with bags and a good front rest, then shooting in the field from a kneeling position, shot about 4" high on the deer, broke it's back right behind the shoulders, had to finish it with my pistol. I hate to make an animal suffer, even for a few seconds. Later, at the range, I verified the POI difference with several groups back and forth between kneeling and the bench to make certain I didn't just "pull" the shot, turns out I didn't, it was just the difference in muzzle rise from the two shooting positions.

Gear

ElDorado
09-16-2011, 08:27 PM
I assume you know that, even with a scope, he will have to re-sight it before he takes it hunting. We all shoulder a gun differently.

I'm sure he won't mind!