PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Season & my NAA Cap'N Ball

coopieclan
09-15-2011, 09:26 PM
During the summer months I don't shoot... I fish.
But I am getting warmed up for muzzle loading fun in the fall.

I find nobody selling #11 Remington percussion caps retail anywhere near me.
All the retailers are selling CCI brand and they just don't fit the NAA.
I stopped shooting it. It doesn't go off with the wrong cap.
So I bit the Boolit and had some #11 Remington shipped from Cabellas
I bought 1000, that should last me for a while.

I also can't get FFFFg retail anywhere.
It fires o.k. WITH 3-f but I want it all.
I read here that it is O.K. to sift the 3-f powder to get some 4-f.
Also that Triple 7 is hotter than Pyrodex.

The boolit for this gun is huge for a .22
NAA ships them right to your house.
I plan to get some .22 cal "Crow-Poppers" airgun pellets to try.
Also the round balls.

When I last shot it I thought it was inaccurate... maybe it's me.
I think it is a smoothbore.

Tomorrow I will be testing caps for fit... I hope my NAA will work well with better supplies.

troy_mclure
09-18-2011, 01:32 AM
visit the naa website/forum. lots of guys with good ideas on loads and projectiles.

NickSS
09-18-2011, 06:11 AM
I have one of these little beauties and like it for plinking at short ranges. I use CCI NO 11 caps in mine so do not understand the issue you had. I also us FFFFG powder that I bought one can of years ago to prime my flintlock with. In my revolver a pound will go a long way. As for accuracy I have only shot the bullets I bought from NCAA which are only 22 short bullets and are 29 gr. My gun really does not have a rear sight but I have found that if you hold the front sight proud in at the top of the frame and lay the sight on what you want to hit you get pretty good results out to 10 to 15 feet. I have no problem hitting the bottom of a soda can at that range. Longer ranges the groups get bigger but then it's and across the table gun not a target pistol. I have found that a flint lock priming flask with a spring plunger nozzel works well to dispence powder for it. There is a ridge inside the cylinder chambers that the bullet seats against. All I do is press the nozzel against that ridge and powder flows into the chamber up to the nozzle an then I tip the cylinder and pull the nozzle out. With a little practice I get the right amount of powder then seat the bullet with the tool that comes with the pistol. I generally rub some BP lube over the bullet noses, cap the nipples and insert into the revolver. When I carry it I only load 4 chambers but when just shooting I load all five.

coopieclan
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I never saw that forum before, good reading!

The Remington caps test fire %100

I have 2 cylinder types...the nipples are different allen key size too.
When I bought the gun (used) it only came with one, so I got 2 new cylinders from NAA.
BUT I can't use the CCI caps successfully on my revolver... on any of my cylinders.

The CCI won't seat all the way down and the revolver won't spin.

Maybe its a vintage thing of my frame.

That little Lee dipper that comes with the gun is a pain in the neck.

I looked down the barrel today I really think it is a smoothbore.

I'm still shopping for some 4f powder.

troy_mclure
09-22-2011, 02:58 AM
if you can find them the dynamit nobel caps work pretty good and slip down over the longest nipples, and seem to stretch some to fit fat ones.

slamminsammy
09-22-2011, 05:35 PM
I once had a half can of FFFg stuck inside an old ammo can that rode behind the seat of my old really ruff riding pick-up truck for about a year. When i got the can out to use some of it i noticed it seemed a lot finer? By comparison it about turned to FFFFg? LOL! You might give this a try?

coopieclan
09-22-2011, 11:49 PM
I once had a half can of FFFg stuck inside an old ammo can that rode behind the seat of my old really ruff riding pick-up truck for about a year. When i got the can out to use some of it i noticed it seemed a lot finer? By comparison it about turned to FFFFg? LOL! You might give this a try?

What kind of truck?

slamminsammy
09-23-2011, 04:26 PM
What kind of truck?

It was an 1981 F-100. About 220,000 miles on it! Not a straight piece of metal on it, 300 in-line six that leaked more oil than B.P.!:redneck: LOL!

coopieclan
09-27-2011, 07:08 PM
I loaded up the NAA Mini today.
I made some 4f by pushing some 3f through a plastic sieve.
I'll probably go shoot Thursday or Friday.
Range report to follow.

coopieclan
09-30-2011, 01:08 AM
I took the NAA to the range today.
The Pyrodex fffg powder that I put through a sieve to make 4f was not any better than the 3f that I have been using.
Using Remington caps gave me %100 ignition, which was nice.
I found that I need to shoot this gun with one hand.
This is a target from 5 yards.