PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Used CCI 350 Primers in 45 ACP

bnelson06
09-15-2011, 05:05 PM
I have a box of CCI 350 primers and was wondering if anyone has made up a load for the 45 ACP for them. I heard the CCI's were a pretty powerfull primer in the magnum pistol but they are non-returnable so i either have to find a load for the 45 or buy another pistol (not a bad idea).

giz189
09-15-2011, 05:09 PM
I believe the cci 350 is a magnum primer. I would not use it in 45 acp.

Lizard333
09-15-2011, 09:47 PM
All my data calls for a regular primer. Wouldn't shoot anything other than trusted load data. Your asking for trouble.

9.3X62AL
09-15-2011, 09:52 PM
Love your sig line, Lizard. :)

If anything the 45 ACP with standard LP primers may be over-primed/over-ignited. One of my shooting cronies has a lot of the 45 ACP with small pistol primer pockets, and he reports better accuracy and ballistic consistency with the SP-primed cases. I wouldn't use LPM primers in the 45 ACP.

Someone nearby isn't willing to swap with you? Your "solution" by purchasing a 44 Magnum has a lot of merit, I must say!

shotman
09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
That is all I use drop 1 gr I use 5gr unique in place of 6 and get a better burn

ColColt
09-15-2011, 10:26 PM
With most powders used/recommended, there's no need for magnum primers. I've used Unique, Universal, HS-6, 231, Power Pistol, etc and have yet to see the need for magnum primers. IF you decide to do it, I'd drop the recommended charge by one grain anyway. I have a pet load for the 44 Magnum using HS-6 and when I tried to see what the magnum primer would do-perhaps ignite the charge better, I got a slight flattening of the primer compared to the same charge for the standard primer(both CCI). So, I know pressure was up a bit and backed off one grain...maybe a tad more wouldn't have hurt but I went back to standard.

bobthenailer
09-16-2011, 05:56 PM
I use fed lp mag primers in the 45acp regulary because i bought about 25,000 a few years ago for $15.00 per thousand . im not shooting max loads for the 2 loads i had worked up useing fed std lp primer i substatuted the fed lpm primer you would have to shoot it from a bench to see any real difference in accuracy with a 25 shot group at 25 yards yards useing cast bullets in the 170 to 200 gr weight and WSL powder from various 1911 45 acps .
this only a few test with my guns and WSL powder and fed std lp & fed lpm primers . someonelse may have different results.

bnelson06
09-19-2011, 10:08 AM
I know they are magnum primers but since i have a box sitting here doing nothing i thought i'd see if anyone had tried them. thanks for the answers. I'll drop a grain or a bit more to start and see what i can come up with.

XWrench3
09-19-2011, 06:16 PM
i have used magnum primers in my 45acp, (think EVERYTHING shortage of 1 year ago) but never with loads anywhere near close to max. when i have to run a magnum primer in a non magnum caliber or load, i drop the load 15% and work it back up from there. safety first. you can not shoot if you are missing your shooting hand! honestly, i don't have to run @ 15% reduced, but i will not tell you how far either for safety sake. my gun, and yours will most likely be different.