PDA

View Full Version : Need input on Veterans benefits

cephas53
09-15-2011, 07:39 AM
Father-in-law WWII (Burma) Vet. Had to be moved to nursing home and is pretty much bedridden. Gets his meds from the VA. As I understand it has to be seen at least once a year by a VA doc to keep benefits. The time has come, and they're saying he has to be loaded up and taken by ambulance, bout 30 miles, to get checked out. What the …., advise appreciated. Thanks.

P.K.
09-15-2011, 08:03 AM
Not there yet, and God Bless him for his service. Sounds pretty odd, not to mention costly to do a reevaluation to get him up to date. I would try to get ahold of the patiant advocate at the center where they are saying he needs to be seen at and see what their take on it is.

http://www2.va.gov/directory/guide/vetcenter_flsh.asp?

OneBagNomad
09-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Your mistake here is trying to understand VA policy and procedures. The VA is like any other large government agency, you can't reason with it and you can't apply logic to it. Usually, unless what they want is a major problem, it's best to just go along with it. VA coverage is a significant benefit, especially to older vets; do anything you need to in order to keep them. Is your father a member of a veteran's advocacy group such as the DAV or VFW? If going to get checked out is a real problem for some reason, I suggest contacting his local (county) veteran's services representative. He or she may not be able to help you but they can probably point you in the right direction.

jpatm2
09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Around here, it is not uncommon for patients to get transported to the VA by ambulance. These are not the ambulances that respond to emergencies, but ambulances set up for patient transport. Talk to the VA, they probably have a contract with a transport company and can lead you in the right direction.

cephas53
09-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks. My main concern isn't transporting, it's that his condition is so frail.

schutzen
09-18-2011, 12:21 AM
Contact his VA Primary Care Provider. They should be able to help you. The VA is much more responsive than many of us have been lead to believe. My Father received care from the VA before he died and that care was excellent. I could not have asked for more responsive or more caring individuals to help us with Dad.

twotrees
09-18-2011, 07:02 AM
Had a friend that was 90% disabled when he was discharged from service. He too had to do a yearly evaluation to maintain his pension.

Jerry looked the Doc in the eye and said "Do you think I am going to grow back a lung, or a kidney or any of the other guts you guys took out?" The reply "If you don't get brought in here every year,then you will lose your pension"

After a year long fight with the VA, he couldn't get them to accept his local Dr.'s Evaluation, so they dropped his pension.

As with any Government agency, they don't think, they just follow the "Rules"

Thank him for his service. My first Father-in-law was a Sargent in Merril's Marauders.

montana_charlie
09-18-2011, 05:04 PM
Father-in-law WWII (Burma) Vet.
My Dad was in India. He was the radioman in a flight crew that flew the Hump.
They went down in the jungle, and walked out (somehow), so I guess he could be called a 'Burma vet'.

When I went to Vietnam, I found it interesting to realize that my location was not VERY far from where he served.
I never thanked him for his service, and he never thanked me for mine. As 'fellow vets' there was no need to.

Dad lived in a lot of locations after his discharge and I don't remember him ever complaining about difficulties in getting VA medical treatment. But then, he only lived to be 59 ...

CM

SSGOldfart
09-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Good luck it sounds like a VA Operation to me they do everything backasswards

SSGOldfart
09-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Do yourself and your Dad a favor call the local DAV office and sign a POA,they will get his Penison and file a claim for him, are you service connected?? If you where boots on the ground in Vietnam you need to get your claim filed now too,don't wait until you need it to file your paperwork,I'm 100%SC myself,

Armyguy80
09-19-2011, 02:53 AM
First off I would like to thank your father for his service, I am retired Army. I did a quick search and found this... http://www.va.gov/healtheligibility/library/pubs/healthcareoverview/#Eligibility that might help get you pointed in a direction (hopefully the right one) As stated the DAV or another vet service orginazation is and will be a great source of information and advocate for you and your father. I dont remember the distance exactly but there is a mileage loophole, where you may be able to use a doctor nearby. Still not optimal since the real issue is traveling in general. I hope this helps and best of luck.