PDA

View Full Version : Need Master Caster help, Clogging

usmcarmorer
09-14-2011, 05:08 PM
I have been casting with my Master Caster and lately I have been having trouble with the orfice plate clogging. I've cleaned out the plate twice but it still clogs. I use clean foundry alloy and flux regularly. I have a small fan on the floor, is that enough air to cause the plate to cool and not flow?
Semper Fi, Crawdaddy

Baja_Traveler
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
It could if it is in direct air flow. Adding lead to the pot causes mine to cool enough to clog up, even though the pot is all melted out. I have a propane torch next to me while casting to give it a quick blast and melt out whats causing the clog. Works every time...

usmcarmorer
09-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the help. I have a small propane torch and I'll give it a try. I did get the clog out the last time with a piece of steel wire.

Thanks.

casterofboolits
09-16-2011, 06:21 PM
It could if it is in direct air flow. Adding lead to the pot causes mine to cool enough to clog up, even though the pot is all melted out. I have a propane torch next to me while casting to give it a quick blast and melt out whats causing the clog. Works every time...

+2 on the torch. :drinks:

finishman2000
09-17-2011, 03:12 PM
i also use the torch. if it happens more than twice i push the temp up a little. i kinda go into overdrive and pop them out as quick as i can. i made a diverter for the fan that angles the airflow closer to the machine with the mold just barely out from under. sets up faster this way.

turbo1889
09-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Get yourself a cheap Lee bottom leaker pot and drill a hole in the metal bottom plate for the lead stream to go through and mount that above your main pot and use it as a pre-melt pot to fill up your main pot with more lead that is already up to temp or darn close to being so. In other words add your ingots to the Lee and then pore out of the Lee into the main pot.