PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Lube Sizer vs. RCBS Lube-A-Matic

jakharath
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM
I have both an old Lyman Lube Sizer and an old RCBS Lube-A-Matic. Both do not have heaters. I have three dies for the Lyman and none for the RCBS.

Is one better than the other? I will need to purchase more dies, but don't know which one to buy dies for.

Any comments would be helpful!

Thanks,
Jason

LUCKYDAWG13
09-14-2011, 11:03 AM
did you try your lyman dies in your RCBS i think they will fit i would keep them bolth

jakharath
09-14-2011, 11:11 AM
I will try putting the Lyman dies in the RCBS. The pictures online of the RCBS and Lyman dies look different, so figured they weren't standardized.

jakharath
09-14-2011, 11:11 AM
Also, the new ones come with heaters. Should I purchase a heater?

94Doug
09-14-2011, 11:15 AM
The heater will be your choice depending on the lube, and possibly the temp in your loading area...I have a heater from Midway on one of mine the others I do not, but if the lube does need a little warmth on those, I use a hobby iron set on the base of the sizer. Mounting the sizer on a plate of aluminum or steel with a regular iron will work fine as well. (other ideas are out there, heat lamp, etc....)

Doug

midnight
09-14-2011, 11:18 AM
Definately keep both! The dies work in both. If you cast long enough you will probably add a third and a fourth. I keep 3 set up, each with a different lube so I don't have to mess with melting lube out of the press when I make a change. I keep a real old Lyman #1 with BAC, a RCBS with SPG, and a Lyman 450 with a harder lube in it. The #1 and the 450 have heaters on a rheostat. The #1 with BAC has a heater just to be kind to it's old mechanism.

Bob

jakharath
09-14-2011, 11:22 AM
So one's not better than the other?

Are RCBS dies better than Lyman dies? (I ask because the RCBS dies are more expensive.)

Midnight - What calibers do you use with each lube?

jakharath
09-14-2011, 11:25 AM
94Doug - So the heater is there just to make the lube more plyable?

Heavy lead
09-14-2011, 11:26 AM
I have both dies, myself I prefer the Lyman, as the entrance has more of a taper, but they both work fine.
Sometimes they are undersize slightly and need to be opened up.

jakharath
09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Heavy Lead - Are some the Lyman undersized, or is it some of the Lyman and RCBS are undersized?

9.3X62AL
09-14-2011, 11:42 AM
In my Lyman 450 sizers, both Lyman and RCBS are interchangeable. I prefer Lyman dies to RCBS dies, and strongly prefer Buckshot's dies to either of those. Buckshot's dies are ON THE DOT, and better made. And--Buckshot is a cool guy, even if he doesn't fish.

midnight
09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
The SPG is used mostly for the old black powder cartridges like 45-70 & 577-450, 38-55 although it works well with any low pressure cartridge. The White Label BAC is used mostly with the 25-20, 38 Spl, 357, 44Mag, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 500 S&W, 50 Beowulf and similar cartridges. The harder lube is Jake's Ceresin Scarlet and is used with most of my higher velocity & pressure rifle catrridges. I believe all of my dies are Lyman. They cost less and are usually the only ones seen used on gun show tables. When buying used Lyman dies be careful to only buy the newer ones with four lube holes and a tapered entrance. The old Lyman dies were bored straight and tended to shave lead making out of round bullets. If I had it to do all over again I would go with the SAECO. Their threaded top punch it seems to me to align better with the nose of the bullet. The Lyman method with a set screw would, it apears to me, allow for misalignment or the nose punch. If you can't find the die you want, Buckshot on this forum will make you any size you want. The Perfessor here also makes a self aligning nose punch for you. Sorry to be so longwinded but a relative newcomer here can use all the advice he can get. Maybe others will chime in with advice disagreeing with mine but that is how we all learn.

Bob

LUCKYDAWG13
09-14-2011, 12:11 PM
In my Lyman 450 sizers, both Lyman and RCBS are interchangeable. I prefer Lyman dies to RCBS dies, and strongly prefer Buckshot's dies to either of those. Buckshot's dies are ON THE DOT, and better made. And--Buckshot is a cool guy, even if he doesn't fish.

buckshot dont fish :groner:

jakharath
09-14-2011, 12:20 PM
Thanks a bunch guys!

JesterGrin_1
09-14-2011, 03:53 PM
buckshot dont fish :groner:

Come on with a name like Buckshot he is afraid if he falls in the water he will sink lol.

94Doug
09-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, there are some lubes that REQUIRE heat, and then harden. Something like Felix lube, (if you decide to make them) Speed Green and Ben's red are fairly soft, and in most cases do not need the heat. There are comercial lubes like sold here that will flow without heat as well. I say most cases, as I have my set up in the basement, and if it gets too cool, heat is needed.

X-man
09-14-2011, 08:24 PM
The dies are interchangeable. I like the Lyman better than the RCBS. However, the RCBS luber I find is a better piece of kit than the Lyman, and RCBS stands behind their product a lot better than Lyman does. If you break a part or something wears out, RCBS replaces it no questions asked. Lyman...you'll often have to pay for the replacement part and the shipping. Not so with RCBS.

As for buying a heater or model with built-in heater, unless you plan on using a lot of hard lubes, it isn't necessary. You can get away using an improvised heater with a 100 watt light bulb in a table lamp or a hair dryer.

9.3X62AL
09-15-2011, 12:20 AM
I'll pile on with X-Man and say that if another lube-sizer comes aboard, it will be RCBS--and for the reasons he stated.

Bret4207
09-15-2011, 07:29 AM
I have the Lyman 45, 450 and an RCBS LAM, the old model. Dies interchange. I prefer the RCBS, then the 45 and the 450 last. I have had dies from both companies be off.

jakharath
09-15-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for all of the insight guys! Still in the process of gathering tools and supplies for casting.

timtonya
01-26-2014, 01:08 PM
I too am shopping for a lube sizer. Anything wrong with the Saeco? I understand mounting it to the side for better leverage. Or should I buy the RCBS? The star is out of my budget but don't want something that will easily break either.

357maximum
01-26-2014, 04:45 PM
To be dead honest.....If I could go back in time I would have simply pan-lubed awhile longer, saved my pennies and along with that I spent on lyman style sizers and waited till I could afford the STAR. IMO it is worth the wait and you will not have to "dump" the other stuff (dies/top punches) at a loss once you do get the STAR. Just one mans take that did it wrong when 20/20 hindsight is factored in.

ACrowe25
01-26-2014, 05:03 PM
L 4500 has done me well

timtonya
01-26-2014, 05:11 PM
I'd love the star but I'm on a budget. The new ones are $325 plus dies. I only lube about 200 or so bullets at a time. I do like the Saeco with the spring loaded lube system.

9.3X62AL
01-27-2014, 01:40 AM
I should amend a remark I made a couple years ago in this thread. I have purchased a 2nd sizer/luber, but unlike my stated intentions to go RCBS I opted for a Lyman 4500. Familiarity and spare parts inventory figured into this, but the 4500 machine is an obviously more strongly-built tool than is my existing 450. I also incorporates a heater element that does almost too good a job in summer temps, so I see an inline switch or rheostat being spliced into its power cord sometime soon. After a year of use, it has confirmed my belief that it is a better tool than its predecessor 450.

JesterGrin_1
01-27-2014, 02:27 AM
I too am shopping for a lube sizer. Anything wrong with the Saeco? I understand mounting it to the side for better leverage. Or should I buy the RCBS? The star is out of my budget but don't want something that will easily break either.

It is hard for anyone except yourself to answer some questions. I also think the star is a good machine though I do not have one. As for what I do it is simply not needed. I can see saving and getting a star if you plan to do allot of the same bullets at a time.

I use an Old Lyman 45 but I also use a semi soft lube by Lars called BAC so it works fine. But if I size and lube 150 bullets that is a bunch lol.

So if you do not shoot a whole lot or you shoot a little of different type and size of bullets then the Lyman 4500 should serve you well as mentioned they have a heater that is designed for the Lyman 45OO so you can use a harder lube such as CR. Or you can Tumble lube with 45-45-10 or also as mentioned pan lube.

handsomebob
01-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Star all the way! A little more expensive, okay quite a bit more expensive but soooo much faster. Purchased a Star recently and am so happy with its operation.

timtonya
01-27-2014, 11:36 PM
Star is nice but for the expense, I don't believe you should have to use lead shot to fill some of the lube holes.

timtonya
01-28-2014, 04:22 AM
To those that one the Lyman 4500, how stoutly built is it? I've read reviews where the linkage gets sloppy and isn't as nice as the RCBS.

Reloader270
01-28-2014, 12:57 PM
I had both of the two, but I found the RCBS to be better in general.

timtonya
01-28-2014, 02:13 PM
So why doesn't anyone ever pick the Saeco? I use Redding dies all the time. I don't mind the extra expense of the dies.

9.3X62AL
01-28-2014, 07:13 PM
To those that one the Lyman 4500, how stoutly built is it? I've read reviews where the linkage gets sloppy and isn't as nice as the RCBS.

The 4500 has a more secure and potentially better-aligned ram than does my 450, but you are correct in saying that the Lyman linkage does not inspire confidence in its strength or its alignment integrity maintenance. The system has done a "good enough" job for me to enable a sufficient number of sub-MOA cast bullet groups to give the Lyman system a second shot and declare it "good enough". I am so deeply invested in Lyman-type H&I dies that to use any other sizing/lubing system than the Lyman/RCBS would be economic folly. Add on the plethora of spare parts of all sorts already on hand for the Lyman tools and my 33 years of success with them......well?

SantaFe66
08-07-2015, 12:58 AM
What kind of lube, hollow or solid, works with the RCBS sizer?

JesterGrin_1
08-07-2015, 05:49 AM

Sorry I am a bit confused by the question. But depending on how you look at it both. The hollow stick lubes have a hole in the center the size of the pressure stem. Or to say the screw that goes through the middle of the lube cylinder. A solid has no hole. But can be melted and poured into the sizer then of course let it cool off and harden before use.

LsStuff-White Label Lube http://www.lsstuff.com/ has a very good selection of bullet lube in all forms. Solid,Hollow and they sell most of it in pounds if you should so desire.

Mk42gunner
08-07-2015, 06:24 AM

If you are buying {shudder} your lube in sticks, you will need the hollow stick for either the Lyman or RCBS sizer.

If you make your own lube; you can either make molds for the hollow stick, or melt it and pour it in. I usually fill my LAM after I am done for the day, this lets the lube cool and set up before the next use.

Robert

MT Chambers
08-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Star is nice but for the expense, I don't believe you should have to use lead shot to fill some of the lube holes.
The Star is much faster and more concentric then the others, if the die matches the bullet you don't have to plug anything, money spent on anything else is a waste, as most serious shooters end up with a Star, or 3 of them like me.

GOPHER SLAYER
08-08-2015, 07:11 PM
I own three Lyman #45, five #450, one SACO and one RCBS. I keep them each set up for a different caliber. While it is true that the Lyman sizing dies will work in the RCBS whether they are old or new but the reverse is not true, at least not for the #45. The dies for it are of two diameters. I made the mistake of forcing a new Lyman die in one of my #45s and I had to dismantle the sizer and pound it out with a drift pin. The SACO is great but the dies and the top punches cost a lot more. I have never owned a Star.

Rod B
08-17-2015, 12:49 AM
I have an old Lyman 45 & an RCBS. I prefer the RCBS.

Southerngunner
08-17-2015, 12:33 PM
I have an older Lyman 450 and an RCBS and I personally prefer the RCBS for my use.

GWM
10-10-2015, 10:38 AM
So why doesn't anyone ever pick the Saeco? I use Redding dies all the time. I don't mind the extra expense of the dies.

I have used a SAECO and while it looks well made it had the worst alignment issue ever. The RCBS is a bit simpler and eats O-rings but that is what I use. Never had a Lyman.

lightman
10-11-2015, 09:47 AM
I have a Lyman and most of my friends have the RCBS. My Lyman has served me well but the linkage looks stronger on the RCBS. I think a Star is in my future.

rintinglen
10-16-2015, 12:40 AM
I have 3 Lyman 450's, 1 RCBS . I have 12or 13 sizers. All together, I have spent about what a Star would cost with one sizer. I have used a Star, and they are nice--BUT NOT THAT NICE!

Doggonekid
12-02-2015, 12:45 AM
I have a RCBS LAM II and I am very happy with it. I have 10 different sizer dies with it and they are mixed, some RCBS and some Lyman. If you want something funky try Buckshot I have dies from him and I will say the quality is as good as RCBS or better. If I ever buy another sizer it will be a Star.