PDA

View Full Version : Lee Liquid Alox: Recipes for use.

hunter64
01-29-2007, 05:32 PM
I would like to use up about 10 bottles of this stuff that I have, bought sizers and friends have given me about 7 bottles also. I have searched the site and one guy says to mix it 50/50 with beeswax and there any other recipes for bullet lube that I can use this stuff up on? I hate the mess and the nose full of lube that gets into the seating die and every 50 I have to clean it out. I have a RCBS Luber that I use and I like lubbing with it. I need something that will do up to 1500fps or so for handguns. Thanks.

mozark
01-29-2007, 07:01 PM
I've found two methods that work for me for applying it.

Dipping. For dipping I thin with lacquer thinner. I usually roll the bullet with a file to form a lightly knurled surface first. This seems to prevent the ALOX from being scraped off when the boolit is seated.

For the 41 Swiss I have also been heating the ALOX to thin it and dripping it on the bases, forming a kind of Grease Coolkie when it solidifies. This has worked very well in preventing leading in my Vetterli.

MM

Lloyd Smale
01-29-2007, 07:13 PM
I had a couple cases of it myself with no use for. I ended up mixing a bottle of it to a 3 lb coffee can of felix lube. Dont know if it helps but i guess it cant hurt.

Treeman
01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I use it just as it is marketed. I am totally convinced that 85-90 % of those who try it overdo the application. For plinking loads I drizzle alittle onto a batch of boolits in a plastic peanut butter jar and gently swirl and tumble them and dump on waxed paper to dry. They are coated enough to look uniformly oily coming out of the tumble but NOT brown. A light coat on a decently fitted bullet works just dandy for standard .38 special speeds/pressures and lower. For heavy loads I coat lightly once-size if needed and then dump enough LLA on to turn the boolits brown. The heavier coating does eventually cause some build up on seating stems but not quickly nor is it a big deal to clean the die.-I spend less time cleaning dies than others spend at lubrisizers.

Newtire
01-30-2007, 12:58 AM
If you'll send it to me, I'll make sure it gets disposed of properly. One shot at a time..

jonk
01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I don't think it could hurt, mixing it with something... it could make for a soft lube though, that could run if not loaded or used fast.

I have an RCBS lubesizer and do about half my bullets that way, half with straight Lee LA. Never had a problem either way; I just like the RCBS for cosmetic reasons, really I have no reason to use anything but lee stuff.

Junior1942
01-30-2007, 03:20 PM
The Lee lube works for me on TL and regular groove bullets to 1950 fps. It's way easier to use, especially with the Lee push-through dies, than regular 50/50 lube in my Lyman 450. My Lyman 450 is gathering dust.

45 2.1
01-30-2007, 03:23 PM
The Lee lube works for me on TL and regular groove bullets to 1950 fps. It's way easier to use, especially with the Lee push-through dies, than regular 50/50 lube in my Lyman 450. My Lyman 450 is gathering dust.

How much do you want for that dusty 450 Junior?