PDA

View Full Version : 6mm TCU vs 6x45

ktw
01-29-2007, 03:39 PM
I put together a contender carbine in 22lr "for the kids" to shoot. I'm thinking the kids won't be using it all of the time. Maybe I should get a barrel for myself.

I don't have a 22 centerfire. I do have a big pile of 5.56 brass (military). I have been playing around with some 6mm cast in a 243. A reduced case capacity 6mm for cast bullet shooting might be fun.

Initial thought was 6x45, but that's a rather pricey custom barrel option.

6mm TCU doesn't appear to be much different than a 6x45. A barrel would be cheaper to come by, but have seen some passing references to not using military brass for cases. Anyone know what that's about?

Anyone have any experience with either of these?

-ktw

leftiye
01-29-2007, 04:17 PM
Why not .223? LESS pricey. Might could use military brass too!

Johnch
01-29-2007, 05:49 PM
I have never played with a 6TCU
But I used Lake City brass for my 6.5 and 7 TCU

I had a scource for ammo
So I shot the ammo and used it to reform .
It did have less capasity than the Rem. brass I used for Ram's

I would think brass fired semi auto would be OK , just need to remember it might have less case capasity .
Also it will need to have the primer crimp removed.

But I had some shot out of a SAW that needed a LOT of trimming .
So it got recycled

Johnch

JSH
01-29-2007, 07:37 PM
I have both, the 6TCU and the 6x45. Th two 6TCU's are both in a pistol, one of the 6x45's is in an XP and a carbine barrel in 6x45.
I was also told to stay away from the milsurp brass, I did for a while. I use once fired now for most of it. It does have less case capcity than WW and RP. I have never found that to be a problem with what I want them to do.The 6x45 is nothing more than a 223 necked up to 243, no shoulder changes or neck length changes, at least on the two I have. The 6TCU has a lot of the taper blown out and a sharp shoulder and shorter neck.
The TC factroy chambered barrels always seemed to shoot better for me using milsurp. I suspect the some what enlarged neck of the chamber and the thicker neck on the milsurp brass helped.
If you use milsurp brass, I would suggest using known cases and fired only once. Also I would suggest to anneal them before fireforming them. They will form a lot nicer then.
Between the two of them them in the speed side their isn't a whole lot of differnce, but the 6TCU having a bit more capcity will nudge the 6x45 by a little.
Both are very fine cartridges IMHO. Keep an eye on the twist. My XP does not like anything much over an 80 grain FLGC.
As many lite 6mm pills as there are out now, 3K is not out of the question.
Jeff

7br
01-30-2007, 11:18 AM
What I know for sure. I have a 18.5" 7tcu carbine barrel that will keep 3 j-bullets in 3/4in at 100 yards. It will push the 120 grain bullets at 2500+ fps.

What I think.. The 7tcu should be a pretty handy beginners deer rifle inside of 200 yards. I also think that the 6tcu would be a little light for deer. It might have trouble stablizing 100gr bullets depending on twist rate. I think it would do extremely well for coyotes and prarie dogs. I think it would also be a hoot for just shooting.

Your mileage may vary.

EWOK
01-30-2007, 03:24 PM
My 6x45 AR has killed several deer with the 85 grain Sierra HPBT, just as dead as the 300 Win did!!!

ktw
01-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the comments.

The .223 and 7mm suggestions make a lot of sense, but I'd like to get a barrel that fits within the realm of tooling and components I have on hand (243, 270, 308, 312, 452, 457). I'd like to avoid expanding into another caliber's worth of molds, gas checks, sizer dies, etc

Just want a barrel to play with cast bullets. 200 yrds, max. Modest case volume for caliber is a plus. Ability to take deer is not necessary, but again, never hurts.

I still like the idea of the 6x45 in a carbine length barrel.

I think the best course of action would be to buy a 30-30 barrel now, and see if the more expensive 6x45 custom barrel still looks like a good idea a year from now.

-ktw

Scrounger
01-30-2007, 05:15 PM
KTW, Contender has carbine barrels out in the new 6.8 SPC caliber the military is wasting our tax dollars on. Most people who make ARs are chambering barrels in it and a few bolt action guns are sure to follow. If you don't recognize the caliber, it just happens to be our old friend the .270 in a smaller case. The case is the .30 Remington necked down to .277. The case of course is a half-brother to the .30-30 but rimless. Cartridge performance would be very near the 7-30 Waters. You already know the available range of cast and jacketed bullets. Recoil should be very nice with 100 grain plinking bullets and not too bad with 125 to 130 grain bullets at about 2500 FPS, adequate for deer at 200 yards I would say. My vote says that's your best choice. Midway has them for about $200.
AND NOBODY ELSE HERE HAS ONE!!!!! How can you resist that?

Mr Peabody
01-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the comments.

The .223 and 7mm suggestions make a lot of sense, but I'd like to get a barrel that fits within the realm of tooling and components I have on hand (243, 270, 308, 312, 452, 457). I'd like to avoid expanding into another caliber's worth of molds, gas checks, sizer dies, etc

Just want a barrel to play with cast bullets. 200 yrds, max. Modest case volume for caliber is a plus. Ability to take deer is not necessary, but again, never hurts.

I still like the idea of the 6x45 in a carbine length barrel.

I think the best course of action would be to buy a 30-30 barrel now, and see if the more expensive 6x45 custom barrel still looks like a good idea a year from now.

-ktw
I use a 6x45 in a bolt gun. It's OK, not great, but very ok.
Why use the 30-30 brass if they'll sell you a barrel on the AK/SK round?
I betcha it works great with cast. JMHO