PDA

View Full Version : .50 cal Green Mt. carbine barrel

slamminsammy
09-13-2011, 04:38 PM
A few months back i got a .50 cal Green Mt. carbine barrel as a birthday gift from my Girl. This barrel is 22in. long and 1/28 twist. Its a drop in for my T.C. Renegade. Its short and sweet should be awesome in the woods? I know this thing should shoot sabots well but i was wondering what cast boolits would work best? I have a maxi mold for a 370 gr. but think it might be too short of a boolit to stabaleize in that fast twist? Any of you have this barrel? What loads worked best for you? My range and casting time is limited so i am looking for a good starting point.

idahoron
09-13-2011, 08:30 PM
I got the longer barrels. The paper patched Lee C-501-440-RF is a fantastic bullet for that twist. Ron

mooman76
09-13-2011, 08:35 PM
Give it a try and see, might surprise you. I shot the Lee REAL, the smaller one of the .54 cal in a 1/20 twist and it shot well. I didn't think it would but it did. You might not be able to push it as hard but it might just work.

slamminsammy
09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
I think i will try the paper patching. I have also cast some of the smaller REALs. They seem to work well with my T.C. 1/48 twist. I like them real heavy boolits for hunting i hope this new barrel will shoot them good? Its so handy being short!

troy_mclure
09-14-2011, 02:09 PM
i have the 24" green mountain on my knight wolverine. same twist. im experimenting on maxi balls and maxi hunters now, its looking good so far.

Nobade
09-15-2011, 07:43 AM
Idahoron is right on, I have that same barrel on my Renegade and it shoots very well with the same Lee bullet he uses, paper patched. I did remove the gascheck shank on my mould for a nice sharp plain base. Not sure it matters, but it does work that way.

If I want a grease groove bullet, the RCBS 450gr. (IIRC - might be more) made for the 500 S&W works very well also, and allows 5 or 6 shots between needing to be wiped.

slamminsammy
09-15-2011, 05:19 PM
I think i am gonna order the Lee mold you guys are using sounds like a winner? Do you cast these with 100% "pure" lead? Do they have to be sized?

bubba.50
09-15-2011, 06:11 PM
the 28in long range hunter has the same twist and mine shoots maxi's as well as the factory barrel did and better than i can. for what it's worth and luck friend, bubba.

slamminsammy
09-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Bubba what range do you think these barrels have with the 370gr. maxi-ball?

jeepman133
09-15-2011, 08:58 PM
I shoot the .460 NE bullets from my Knight wolverine1:28, 22" GMB barrel with 75 gr pyrodex with outstanding accuracy. the bullshop .460 and the .445 UC short are also good bets.

idahoron
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
I bump the hardness up just a pinch. I have a hardness tester I aim for 6 to 7 BHN. I add a few grains of lead shot to bump it up just a pinch. The mould fills out better and they shoot great. Ron

I think i am gonna order the Lee mold you guys are using sounds like a winner? Do you cast these with 100% "pure" lead? Do they have to be sized?

St. Hogustine
09-25-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm looking closely at putting the .50 GM carbine barrel on my Renegade, then removing some wood from the butt of the stock to move the balance forward and make the rifle extra light/handy. I'd like to find a cast boolit/load that will works with the 1/28 rifling but won't stomp a mud hole in my shoulder when I pull the trigger. Not planning to shoot much past 100yds. Any good recommendations, or would I be better off to find a short .54 barrel and shoot round ball?

My smokeless pole is a FN Mauser in .300 Win. Mag shooting middle of the road factory ammo, I don't want more recoil than that.

bubba.50
09-25-2011, 01:56 AM
don't really know what to tell ya sammy as my 60yr old eyes and open sights ain't no good past about 75yds so i rarely try anything over that. but with the peep on my renegade i can keep'em in a couple inches at that distance. luck and have a good'en, bubba.

slamminsammy
09-25-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm looking closely at putting the .50 GM carbine barrel on my Renegade, then removing some wood from the butt of the stock to move the balance forward and make the rifle extra light/handy. I'd like to find a cast boolit/load that will works with the 1/28 rifling but won't stomp a mud hole in my shoulder when I pull the trigger. Not planning to shoot much past 100yds. Any good recommendations, or would I be better off to find a short .54 barrel and shoot round ball?

My smokeless pole is a FN Mauser in .300 Win. Mag shooting middle of the road factory ammo, I don't want more recoil than that.

I dont think you would wanna take anything off the butt of the stock cuz to me it seems like the Renegade is already bad enough beating your cheek up? :groner: Have you handled one with the short barrel yet? I think the short barrel lightens the gun up a lot and it feels really balanced. If you havent handled one yet try it i am sure you will like it!

St. Hogustine
09-26-2011, 09:10 AM
SS, I haven't bought the renegade yet, just gave away a Knight inline to find something a little more traditional and maybe get into hand casting. I think I'd really like the handiness of the short carbine barrel, just trying to get a sense of what the recoil of a good hunting load would be like. I've been cruising the old threads reading up a bit, sounds like it would be somewhere in the range of a 12ga. 3" magnum shell, which isn't too bad at all. I'm trying to decide between a conical out of a .50 and roundball out of a .58.

slamminsammy
09-26-2011, 05:07 PM
SS, I haven't bought the renegade yet, just gave away a Knight inline to find something a little more traditional and maybe get into hand casting. I think I'd really like the handiness of the short carbine barrel, just trying to get a sense of what the recoil of a good hunting load would be like. I've been cruising the old threads reading up a bit, sounds like it would be somewhere in the range of a 12ga. 3" magnum shell, which isn't too bad at all. I'm trying to decide between a conical out of a .50 and roundball out of a .58.
With the renegade you can have both! I do. Thats the cool thing about the hook breach set up on the T.C. Renegade and Hawken. You can have about any caliber or twist you just by popping the barrel off and snappin a different one on. Hey it kinda reminds me of the AR platform! LOL! Now thats got me thinkin? with all the different AR uppers you can get does any company make a muzzleloader one? LOL!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-29-2011, 12:43 PM
With the renegade you can have both! I do. Thats the cool thing about the hook breach set up on the T.C. Renegade and Hawken. You can have about any caliber or twist you just by popping the barrel off and snappin a different one on. Hey it kinda reminds me of the AR platform! LOL! Now thats got me thinkin? with all the different AR uppers you can get does any company make a muzzleloader one? LOL!

wouldn't that get the warden going , show up for muzzle loader season with a 50 cal ar15 with a 24 inch barrel that tips up but looks like a fat 20 inch ar15 with carry handle and peep sight

but that sounds like more fun than i am ready for

Nobade
09-29-2011, 08:40 PM
wouldn't that get the warden going , show up for muzzle loader season with a 50 cal ar15 with a 24 inch barrel that tips up but looks like a fat 20 inch ar15 with carry handle and peep sight

but that sounds like more fun than i am ready for

I have seen one of those before. Don't know if it is a production item or not, but at least one does exist.

troy_mclure
10-01-2011, 02:36 AM
saw it on thefiringline.com black powder page.

excess650
10-01-2011, 08:29 AM
Cartridges of The World lists lots of obsolete cartridges, their standard loads, dimensions and even rifling twists.

50-95 Winchester (1876 LA) 285-350gr boolit and 1-60" twist
50-110 Winchester (1886 LA and 1885 SS) 285-450gr 1-54" twist
50-70 Gov't 350-450gr 1-24" to 1-42" twist

a 370gr Maxi is short for its weight as it has almost no ogive. It was designed to be shot in TCs with 1-48" twist and I shot it accurately from a 1-66" twist CVA Mountain Rifle (back when I was a teenager and didn't know it wasn't supposed to work).

1-28" over stabilized? I don't think so. Think of a top. The faster it spins the MORE stable it becomes. This is why .458 win have as fast as 1-12" vs 45-70 as slow as 1-22" (Trapdoor with original loading 45-70-500).