PDA

View Full Version : Terrible day.

44man
09-13-2011, 01:25 PM
I sent for more memory for my Computer from Tiger. The salesman talked me into a disk to speed up, clean the computer with a $20 rebate. Good, I can use it but I found I had to sign up for auto renewals before I could get the rebate---NO, NO so I sent it back along with another light box. I went to UPS and it will be the last time. It cost way too much. It only cost $3 to send it to me UPS but was $7 and change to return it.
It is cheaper to drive and deliver anymore.
Then I heard a thumping from my left rear tire. I found a screw in it so I had to go to the barn, jack it up and put a plug in the tire.
I was going to shoot but the way things have gone today, I will stay in the basement.

geargnasher
09-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey, if that's the worst thing that happened to you, I'd say you're doing pretty well, my friend! It's good to know you still have the strength to jack up your truck and cuss UPS! (especially the last part, takes a lot of blood pressure to cuss them properly [smilie=b:)

Hope it gets better, maybe a good time to check on the homebrew in the basement today and shoot tomorrow? ;-)

Gear

44man
09-13-2011, 02:20 PM
Hey, if that's the worst thing that happened to you, I'd say you're doing pretty well, my friend! It's good to know you still have the strength to jack up your truck and cuss UPS! (especially the last part, takes a lot of blood pressure to cuss them properly [smilie=b:)

Hope it gets better, maybe a good time to check on the homebrew in the basement today and shoot tomorrow? ;-)

Gear
The home brew keg went empty! I am stuck with store beer! :drinks:

Ickisrulz
09-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Years ago while stationed at Elmendorf in Alaska...

I backed a government vehicle into a skinny birch tree denting the bumper and tailgate(whitesnow in parking lot...white tree...shell on pickup...new building with new lot)

Security Forces gave me a ticket for not using a spotter (does anyone use a spotter?)

Had to have the vehicle checked out by transportation...couldn't find entrance to complex...about got stuck in unplowed snow.

Had to wash truck before transportation would even look at it...broke power washer wand.

A little stressed...ended up failing first test of the SNCO Academy later in the afternoon(80% passing...I got 78%)

Worst day in my memory...but still could have been a lot worse.

Fishman
09-13-2011, 04:47 PM
Years ago while stationed at Elmendorf in Alaska...

I backed a government vehicle into a skinny birch tree denting the bumper and tailgate(whitesnow in parking lot...white tree...shell on pickup...new building with new lot)

Security Forces gave me a ticket for not using a spotter (does anyone use a spotter?)

Had to have the vehicle checked out by transportation...couldn't find entrance to complex...about got stuck in unplowed snow.

Had to wash truck before transportation would even look at it...broke power washer wand.

A little stressed...ended up failing first test of the SNCO Academy later in the afternoon(80% passing...I got 78%)

Worst day in my memory...but still could have been a lot worse.

Well at least you got it all out of the way at once. . .

geargnasher
09-13-2011, 05:29 PM
The home brew keg went empty! I am stuck with store beer! :drinks:

Man, that's worse than I thought! Better rectify the beverage situation ASAP, store beer sucks. :mrgreen:

Gear

Bret4207
09-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Don't feel bad Jim. Yesterday started with getting everyone off to school/work followed by a 35 minute wait on hold with the IRS about the return we have pending before being disconnected. Then I researched the deduction and Amended Return I filed wondering why they won't pay up. That was followed by several phone calls looking for a copy of Microsoft Word for my oldest who somehow lost her installed copy on her laptop and she needs it for on line classes. Has to be MICROSOFT, the generic Word type free programs aren't good enough. That was followed by numerous house hold chores and my discovery of several broken items my wifes frickin cats had destroyed in the basement. BTW- before the family even left I had to go out and try and fix the leaking brake fitting on SWMBO car. Brand new caliper was leaking bad, so that required setting up an appt at the garage after work and my listening to a schpeel about not wanting to sit waiting at the garage after a hard days work. Blew stack at wife on phone. Found tractor battery dead. Got jumper pack and hiked it out to tractor and got it started. Local old lady pulls into yard wanting to know why I hadn't gone to vote in Primary yet. Resisted urge to choke old busybody to death and assured her I'd try to get down and vote, which I never did get to. Got to the hay field about noon and raked, then started baling late 1st cut. I fit 102 squares on my wagon, stacked- no kicker, and headed for the barn. Got 30 up the conveyor, 10 at a time, climb the ladder into the mow and stack them away, back down, 10 more, repeat, till the big outside conveyor locked up. Found the sheet metal that was binding, removed it, started again. Got a total of 54 in before the inside conveyer died. Fixed that 3 times before figuring out the sprocket was just worn out entirely. Had to muscle that conveyor about 30 foot over and 15 foot up to get it out of the way. Threw the rest of bales on the ground and returned to a field of 2nd cut, $4.00 a bale hay at 4PM. Loaded about 30 and oldest boy showed up and actually helped load. Got that to the barn before the rain and tarped it. Spent another 45 minutes getting the last of the 1st cut up the big elevator and ended up with the oldest boy throwing them up about 4 levels to me and me walking them up another 7-8 levels to be stacked while my 9 year old boy loaded the bales. Pretty hard work getting a 50-60 lbs bale on an elevator for the little guy, but he's a determined little man. Got that done and went in a 5:45 to find Mom, and the 3 girls watching tv and nothing in sight for supper. They "assumed" since there was a pressure cooker on the stove I must have made something! I don't mind being a house husband, but sometimes the lack of thought on the part of my slave masters is a bit irritating. Blew my stack and everyone got busy with supper. Whipped up a mess of omlets and what not and went to the barn with the 2, 8 and 9 yea old. 8 year old daughter finds a mare with soft wire wrapped around one leg. Got her out and the wire off, tracked down the rest of the wire and got that removed. Then of course 2 year old granddaughter has to "ride" the horse, so there was 15 minutes of holding her on the mares back while the mare ate grass and my supper settled. Finally got everyone dismounted and cleaned up, returned to house to find trash cans over flowing, blew stack again. Put kids in tub, fed lambs, helped separate a humongous load of laundry and climbed back up into the mow to check the hay. Brought kennel dogs in and broke up one fight. Fixed dishwasher, one computer mal func and found the puppy hadn't quite made it outside in time. Checked stock one last time and rolled windows up in the truck, chased cat out of truck too. Hit the hay at 10PM and couldn't sleep. Thus endeth my whining.

I'll take your screw in the tire any day pal.

wiljen
09-14-2011, 08:00 AM
Some days is just that way and like you I find that once that pattern has started, its best just to do as little as absolutely possible and ride it out as it doesn't seem to improve with effort.

Beau Cassidy
09-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Doesn't sound like you had that bad of a day. My boat motor tore up 15 miles from the ramp saturday then when I finally got the boat home after being pulled to the ramp I found a big gouge out of the hull of my 3 year old Ranger. That is gonna be an insurance claim.

wiljen
09-14-2011, 09:04 AM
Sorry to hear that Beau, that does sound like a rough outing.

Stick_man
09-14-2011, 11:35 AM
Some days you are a bug, some days you are the windshield. Those days when you are a bug really suck, but they make the days when you are the windshield all that much better.

geargnasher
09-14-2011, 12:07 PM
See, Jim, I told ya it ain't that bad!

Gear

9.3X62AL
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Doesn't sound like you had that bad of a day. My boat motor tore up 15 miles from the ramp saturday then when I finally got the boat home after being pulled to the ramp I found a big gouge out of the hull of my 3 year old Ranger. That is gonna be an insurance claim.

OUCH. BOAT, an acronym for Break Out Another Thousand.

Bret......that's RETIREMENT?

psj12
09-14-2011, 01:43 PM
I like the movies like this where the characters are stuck in a situation and one looks at the other and says"things can't get any worse" this is usually followed by a short pause and then a clap of thunder followed by a downpour.

So no matter how bad it gets just think, It could be raining (unless you're in Texas).

oneokie
09-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Bret, you did get to spend some quality time with the granddaughter.

A word of advice, when one has those kinds of days, do not hide under a bed, it will collapse on top of you.

Are you ready to come out of retirement yet?

woody1
09-14-2011, 02:03 PM
Bret,
Please keep posting your activities. Even though I think my day has been crappy, I'm reminded that it could have been worse. :kidding:

My dear departed Mother used to say, "...and this too shall pass..."

Regards, Woody

Bret4207
09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey guys, that was just a normal day around here. Lets see what today brings....

oneokie
09-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Hey guys, that was just a normal day around here. Lets see what today brings....

If that is a "normal" day for you, what happens on the rare day that lifes highway has no speed bumps?

SharpsShooter
09-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Bret!!! My GAWD! I got tired just reading your daily activity sheet. Are you in some time warp that has 37 hours in a day?? :D

SS

firefly1957
09-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Bret ready to unretire yet?

bearcove
09-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Ya'll make me tired I think I'll take a nap before the maid comes.

Bret4207
09-15-2011, 06:57 AM
If that is a "normal" day for you, what happens on the rare day that lifes highway has no speed bumps?

Those are the days I usually manage to find a way to wreck without any outside help. Trust me, I could break an anvil.

Bret4207
09-16-2011, 07:11 AM
I was talking to my feed dealer about stress the other day. He says he gets at least an hour break from the hard stuff every school day when he gets to leave the mill and go drive school bus. Man, think about that- locking yourself into a steel coffin with 45 screaming brats is better than the alternative...........:holysheep

HORNET
09-16-2011, 12:15 PM
Depends on the school bus, Bret. Try this one: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=188a570b-03e6-4f4f-9fe5-a463ab062d20

geargnasher
09-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Depends on the school bus, Bret. Try this one: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=188a570b-03e6-4f4f-9fe5-a463ab062d20

YEAHHHH!!! Boy, I could sure think of a few things/persons I'd like to back that baby up to and light the burners! That would be very theraputic.

Gear

hiram1
09-17-2011, 10:18 AM
i was 65 sep 7 this year .i dont think im going to retire.from hearing all of this.and i dont even have a farm