PDA

View Full Version : question on size of a dram

iron mule
09-11-2011, 07:29 PM
hey guys
can anyone tell me what the equivalent of a dram of black powder would be in grains volume not weight
thanks mule

Jim
09-11-2011, 07:50 PM
I googled "convert drams to grains" and found THIS (http://convert-to.com/conversion/weight/convert-dr-to-gr.html).

John Traveler
09-11-2011, 07:51 PM
The old blackpowder unit of dram = 27.34 grains weight.

Since a dram is a unit of measure of weight, you can not equal it to a specific volume. Whether you were measuring black powder or smokeless powder, the volume would depend on what granulation, what specific powder, ect.

A bigger problem exists if you are thinking what volume of smokeless powder is equal to a dram of blackpowder.

There is no such animal because the old shotshell manufacturers used the term "dram equivalent" to relate shot velocity for a smokeless load that compared to that shot velocity for a given black powder charge in drams weight. The specific smokeless powder weight would depend entirely on the powder, the shot weight, the shot cup used, etc.

In other words, it becomes a dangerous game indeed to try and guess what a weight of smokeless powder would be to equal so-and so charge of black powder in drams equivablent. DON'T DO IT!!!

iron mule
09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
thanks guys
that was what i needed
have no fear i have no intentions of trying to cross up black and smokeless load data or substitute any components from one to another
was just wondering what the answer was and i am not smart enough to think about google
again thanks
mule

John Boy
09-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Relating drams to volume 'equivalent's' varies based on the density of the specific brand and grade of powder. Secondly, the variation will be even more if one just pours the powder into the measure or one pours and then settles the powder. With some powders the difference will be 10% on the light side and 4% on the heavy side.

Since a dram is measure of weight, scale weigh the powder for accuracy to a dram
Here's some variations of powders that I tested for density:

Weight Vendor Grain
.902 Goex Cartridge
.912 DuPont FFg
.919 KIK FFFg
.941 Goex Cowboy
.905 Goex FFg 02 11 05MY23B
.944 Goex FFFg 99JY02C
.925 Goex FFFg 03 46 07NO03B
.916 Goex FFFg 03 56 08NO02 B
.944 Meteor FFg
.970 Meteor FFFg
.972 Goex Express FFg
.978 Schuetzen FFFg
.992 KIK FFg
1.023 Swiss FFFg
1.026 DuPont Fg
1.027 Skirmish Fg
1.044 Swiss 1.5
1.049 Swiss FFg

100 cc volume pan weighed

montana_charlie
09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Just as an ounce may be a weight or a volume, so with the dram.
Eight liquid drams equal one liquid ounce.

CM

JIMinPHX
09-11-2011, 10:17 PM
If you are dealing with smokeless powder, it is dram equivalent charge, which is different from straight drams of powder. Those two don't convert directly. The conversion rate will vary with the actual smokeless powder in use.

Tom-ADC
09-11-2011, 11:21 PM
Sorry thought this was about a "Wee dram of scotch" I think there are 18 to a bottle.
But the above is correct.

iron mule
09-12-2011, 07:43 PM
thanks again guys
don't worry i am not going to use this for loading either black or smokeless of any kind
was just wondering what a dram was equiv. to in grains of bp and happened to be here on the site so thought to ask the question here
it never occurred to me to Google it
and again was not looking for reloading info to use this for just one of them things that kinda nag at you till you get an answer
thanks again mule