PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hale 3 band Enfield

Bad Ass Wallace
01-29-2007, 06:12 AM
Finally got my licence permit and took possession of the new toy. I have a 566gn Lyman Minnie and a Lee 470gn blunt plug!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/3Band_Enf.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Enf_Action.jpg

Rattus58
01-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Very nice guns... I had an enfield for a while... my biggest gripe was that although it shot accurately (4-5" at 100) it shot always to the right of center about 4" and there was NO WAY to fix it other than file the rear sight some and then a little notch to line up for windage...

I had the same problem with a zoave and got so tired of it I soldered a Krag sight and a Remington front sight on.... that fixed that problem.... and now have an ACCURATE 1-600 or so sighing mechanism that makes the gun look like it came from the munsters.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

shooter575
01-29-2007, 11:14 PM
BAW,nice rifled musket.Nice pic also. That Lee minne we call a "ashcan" because of the shape. That was the first minne mould I ever cast.Shot real well in my Euroarms 53 with 45 gr ff.The only way to realy lube that round is to put it in the base.Back then I used crisco [a lard looking cooking grease] But now I would use a beeswax/olive oil mix. I added about .100 taller front sight so it would print point of aim at 50yd.100 was the next noch up etc.
Rattus58 Best way to fix the sights on them muskets it to just un solder and move them over a hair. [Front one that is] .010-.015 will move that bullet a lot with that long sight radius

PAT303
01-30-2007, 12:27 AM
That's a nice bit of gear.I have the muskatoon pat 61 model and shoot a Bugg 620 grain minnie over 40 grains of wano.Shoot's as well as it kick's Pat

Rattus58
01-30-2007, 12:56 AM
Hi Shooter.... My original Enfield had a notch in the barrel for a square post that was soldered in. We looked for a plug... and that was before the days I became a part of the interenet revolution... and were unable to. I called several people including both euroarms and navy arms as to how to possibly adjust the windage on these guns... and they told me to file open the rear sight... someone else suggested the slot.

My Volunteer at least has a dovetail with a long (extends beyone the sight) base that can easily be tapped to correct position. I wish something like that had been done to my enfield. That was my first musket, was the enfield, and I've put a lot of rounds since through a musketoon and zoave.

Aloha... :cool:

shooter575
01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Rattus58... I shoot N-SSA and there is a cottage industery making replacement parts for the C/W mushets and carbines.One barrel maker and a few others will cut a musket for a dovetailed front sight. Blank leaves are also made so you can file a new slot or drill a peep
I just replaced a front on a Italian 63 springfield for a buddy.It was silver soldered on .Sight had a little woodruff key slot in the barrel.I just soft soldered a replacement front sight on over that slot and moved it .010 right.One noce thing about the bright finnished springfields is no blueing to worry about.I just buff out the discoloring from the torch.
I will post a pic of my sight soldering jig I made.

Rattus58
01-30-2007, 02:08 PM
Hey thanks shooter... I'm really in need of replacing both barrels on my guns... the zoave and the musketoon... its been blowing out nipples even with larger nipples and finally I sent it in to have new threads installed.. but something is wrong with that gunbarrel.

I'll look into that... having a dovetail is way more convenient... :)

Thank you again...

Much Aloha... Tom :cool:

Bad Ass Wallace
01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
A rear sight from a 310 Martini Cadet could be fitted which would give both windage & elevation adjustment.

Rattus58
01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi... where would I find a Martini cadet from... any idears.... :)

Aloha.. Tom

shooter575
01-30-2007, 11:59 PM
Rattus,Here is a guy that does real nice barrel relining.I have had him do I think
8-10 for me.I like a 1:66 twist 3 land.But he can do what ever you want.Last ,58 he did for me was $135.+shipping.I like to get bore done in .576-.577 so I can use the .575 sized minne.Heck of a lot better selection in that size.He cab do the dovetailed front sight also.Ask him to give you one to fit it.
Bobby Hoyt 717-642-6696.....9 to 5 PM.
He runs a one man shop so he lets his answering machine take his calls
Hard to grab the phone when boreing a barrel.
He is in PA in the eastern time zone.

Bigjohn
01-31-2007, 01:17 AM
BAW; you must really like those recoil induced headaches or your impervious to them. Good looking rifle, becoming a bit hard to get now.

Had one member down here who had a Euroarms version; it gave him headaches when shooting the minnies.

Hope it shoots as well as it looks.

John

Bad Ass Wallace
01-31-2007, 06:21 AM
At the range, my backup rifle is a Sharps 50/90 with 105gn FG and 650gn boolit:Fire:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/5090shA.jpg

shooter575
01-31-2007, 09:59 AM
Bigjohn,recoil....with a .58 minne? Heck they dont have any.Bout like a .410 shootgun.Even with service charge of 65 gr ff. Now my .69 minne musket with a 750 gr pill and at service charge it can push back a bit. :razz:

Rattus58
01-31-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks Jim... I appreciate it... I'll give him a call on friday and talk to him about my barrels.

Aloha... Tom :cool:

PAT303
02-01-2007, 02:46 AM
BAW Mate where is your range at? You have some good toys Pat

Bad Ass Wallace
02-01-2007, 06:42 AM
BAW Mate where is your range at? You have some good toys Pat
I shoot at Gunalda, Queensland home of the "Last Frontier" and because I live on a farm, off the back porch on week days!

http://www.lastfrontier.com.au/

PAT303
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Mate I shoot in the Hunter valley NSW but my range is a bench rest range and they have defied all attempts to change. that set up you have is great. Pat