PDA

View Full Version : Old pyrodex

Will
09-11-2011, 05:11 PM
I recently moved and found a can of H-pyrodex that had been in non climate controlled storage since 1988. It's a little lumpy but easily crumbles. Is this stuff still good?

Will

docone31
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
I got an old muzzle loader from a friend that had a stuck ball in it for over 20yrs. The rifle was just tossed in the garage.
I pulled the ball, then, when I thought the chamber was clean, I capped it and pulled the trigger.
It went BOOM!
Glad I do not mess around with where things get pointed. However, the Pyrodex was still good.
I bet it is ok.

John Boy
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
Pyodex as is Triple Seven are made using sodium benzoate that does not degrade over time like Pinnacle and Pioneer that are made from ascorbic acid. For these last 2, put your nose in the can. If it smells like 'sharp sweet apple's' is good powder. If the smell is not there, it has degraded - garden fertilizer

mooman76
09-11-2011, 10:34 PM
I have some over 20 years old. It has been stored in various places depending on availability where I lived and not always stored under the best of conditions. It still works good.

slamminsammy
09-13-2011, 04:14 PM
I also had opened a can of old "RS" and it was real clummpy. I just busted them up with my fingers and it worked just fine.:grin: