PDA

View Full Version : eye lens replacement ?

edsmith
09-11-2011, 12:51 AM
I am having the lens in both eyes replaced next month, has any one here had a lens replacement? what is it like? the cataracks in my eyes are so bad that they are going to replace them, I am a little nervous about it. thanks guys:drinks:

Duckiller
09-11-2011, 01:45 AM
I have had cataract surgery in one eye. Went from near sighted to far sighted in a very short time. Cataract in other eye is not bad YET. Really improved my vision in my dominate eye. Made shooting more fun. I recommend it.

waksupi
09-11-2011, 02:27 AM
Mom had it done, said she wishes she could have done it sooner.

Dean D.
09-11-2011, 04:07 AM
Mom had it done, said she wishes she could have done it sooner.

Ditto that for my Dad. He has been extremely pleased with the success.

firefly1957
09-11-2011, 06:36 AM
My father had it done some years ago he is 81 now and no longer uses glasses so it is good for him. On a side for this forum until he had that done he shot all open sights differently than me, AKA he would shoot different point of aim with pistol or rifle. After his surgery he had to resight everything and now shoots same point of aim that I do???? do not know why this happened but it had been that way since I started shooting and he was much younger and he always had 20/20 vision.

sav300
09-11-2011, 08:00 AM
Hi Folks, been there done that.Both eyes.
NP

crabo
09-11-2011, 08:08 AM
I had been wearing glasses since 7th grade, I'm 59, and I just had both done. The world is a brighter place. I now have 20/20 in both eyes. Night vision is much better.

The big problem is reading and working on something in the computer distances.

I did not mind wearing glasses, so I am going to have bifocals made that are clear on the top with no line progressive readers in the bottom. The alternative is always having a pair of glasses in your pocket, and stashing them all over the place.(like the bathroom) I can't read a menu, credit card receipt, or anything without a pair of readers.

I am constantly amazed by how much better I can see. I shot a 22 lever action silhouette match, (with peeps) and was happy how I shot, epecially when I changed my adjustable rear aperature and easily shot all 15 pigs. (one month after the first eye and 4 days before the second)

I am really looking forward to shooting skeet and 5 stand to see how it helps me see the birds.(especially high 2)

It also helps to have your friends praying for your surgery and recovery. My doctor and I prayed before each surgery. He had some problems with my right eye and was worried about it, but it is healing very well. Left eye was a breeze. Instant 20/20 as soon as the patch came off.

It does make you a little nervous since it is your eyes.

6.5 mike
09-11-2011, 08:55 AM
I've had both eyes done, do'nt wait. You would not believe the differance until you "see' it.

Mumblypeg
09-11-2011, 09:15 AM
I've had a lens extraction done on my right eye as a result of an injury,a #4 shot went through it, but that's another story. It is a relatively simple prcedure or should be. One interesting thing I discovered after it was done. I was walking by a shop that had a black light in it and looked at the light and noticed something different. I closed one eye and looked at the light with my good eye(left one) and it looked like a black light looks, dark purple. I closed the other eye and looked at the light with the eye that had the lens changed(the right eye, only have two) and the light looked like a regular floresent light. Kinda weird... anybody else noticed that?

Mumblypeg
09-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Also my wife had both of hers done last year and loves them. She had the "Restor" lens' put in.

gunnut14
09-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Edsmith,
Also buy a good pair of sunglasses!
Your original lenses yellowed over the years from age (its natural) and the new lenses are clear so you get a lot more sunlight than normal and headaches follow.
At least they did for me. I am 2 years in on my surgery (on both eyes) and stillwear sunglasses.
Like the others I waited until I need a seeing eye dog before having it done (fear) and only regret is not having it done 10 years earlier.
Simple procedure ,in and out in 1 hour for each eye one month apart
gunnut14

DLCTEX
09-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I am going to have my right eye done soon. They said I couldn't bend over or lift anything for two weeks after surgery so it will have to wait for business to slow down this winter.

woody1
09-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Not me, not yet but it's coming. However I've had several relatives including both parents that've had it done and all very successful. Regards, Woody

UtopiaTexasG19
09-11-2011, 02:18 PM
I am not to the point of lens replacement yet but have had 5 other surgeries done to my eyes over the years. I was born so nearsighted that I had to hold a book touching my nose to read the print and as a child wore glasses so thick and heavy the weight made dents in my nose. Now at 59 years old I have 20-20 vision in both eyes. The lens replacement surgery has been perfected so well that you will have some discomfort for a few days but there should be NO pain at all. The thing that bothers folks who have not have eye surgery before is that you cannot close your eye lids/blink for a few minutes and you have to watch. The benefits of getting the cataracts removed is a million times better than the temporary discomfort for a few days. :)

skeet1
09-11-2011, 02:26 PM
I have had both eyes done and it is wonderful. You will be able to see again probably better that you remember.

Ken

edsmith
09-11-2011, 03:26 PM
THANK YOU GUYS, I feel a lot better about it now.:happy dance:

LUCKYDAWG13
09-11-2011, 03:33 PM
do it my son had it dun when he was 9 yrs old he can see out of his right eye now

.429&H110
09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Had both lenses replaced at 54.

Improved my shooting, now that I can see...

D-I-Y cataract test:

In a dark room watching television,

hold a flashlight at arms length and shine it at the side of yer head

the light will light up a cataract,

everything will go white, TV will disappear.

Thats a cloudy lens.

Driving at night, an oncoming car does the same thing.

I could not see beans at night, now I can.

Was welder's helper job that got me.

Hardcast416taylor
09-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Had a cataract removed from my left eye about 16 years back since I complained that it was like looking thru a piece of white cotton. Since then I have a cataract "cooking" in my right eye. It`s not ready to be removed so I wear glasses that are made for a far/near sighted person. The left lens is non-magnifing lens while the right lens is ground for being near sighted. The lens are bottom ground for reading. Dang, I love getting OLD!Robert

Freightman
09-12-2011, 05:41 PM
Both eyes, great then you can throw away the scopes I can see far off like 18 and I am 72. still need glasses for reading and close work but the top of my glasses are just plain glass.

John Guedry
09-12-2011, 07:52 PM
My wife had both eyes done in '06 with the Restore lenses and has not used any glasses since.

Doc Highwall
09-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I just had both eyes done a couple of months ago with the new Toric Lens that corrects for astigmatism.
My astigmatism correction was 4.25 Diopters which meant I always had to wear my glasses.

Now I can see in the distance without glasses and just ordered a pair of reading glasses with the progressive lenses.

Charley
09-12-2011, 10:04 PM
Had lense implants in both eyes, Mrs. Charley has had both as well (we're 57). I've been nearsighted since I was 6 years old, always wore glasses or contacts. Now I'm 20/20 (right eye is closer to 20/15) Piece of cake, don't hesitate, assuming your opthamologist knows his stuff.

higgins
09-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I had cataract surgery in my right eye about 5 wks ago. I shoot left handed so my shooting eye hasn't been corrected yet; I have cataract in it, but it's not yet bad enough to warrant lens replacement. Back to my right (non-shooting) eye. I had a choice of a replacement lens that would require some near vision correction (i.e., wearing readers) or a lens that would require some correction at distance. I got the lens that would require some near vision correction (must be the same type crabo got). Without correction, I can't see iron sights on handguns or rifles very well with it, but I'll reserve final judgement until I get new progressive bifocals, which I just ordered today. Regarding edsmith's concerns about the surgery, I think it's only normal to be concerned about any surgery no matter how "minor", but personally I'm ready to get my left eye done as soon as it's warranted. In the interim, It might be good if we helped edsmith and others opinion-shop about what type of lens to get-I wouldn't have thought there were about four options available. I opted for the simple, tried-and-true lens; it's just my nature. I decided driving, watching TV, and being able to see everything at distance unbelievablyl clear again outweighed the minor inconvenience of wearing readers. I already had them scattered about the house anyway. Add me to the list of people who would recommend cataract surgery-you won't believe what a difference it makes in your vision.

dagger dog
09-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Setting here in front of the screen while I'm typing, I can't make out any of the letters with my dominant eye, the cataract on that eye is ready for surgery, plus have been nearsighted with astigmatism my whole life. Went with bifocals at 38,trifocals at 45, and finally found out that progressive lenses weren't not a vanity thing.

It's hard to wait to have the corrective lense surgery, but my insurance leaves a good amount for me to pay and most of my money is earmarked for other things.

Le Loup Solitaire
09-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Had both eyes done to eliminate cataracts. The eyes are done separately. You don't feel anything from start to finish. They also give you a shot to make you relax. After the session you have to wear a patch for a day/night or two and then put in drops for a couple of weeks and that's it. You get a choice of replacement lenses; either far vision or near. You can get the ones with the dual vision, but the insurance, if you have it, won't cover the dual lens as the insurance companies consider that as being "cosmetic"......stupid, but true and that is a $thou per eye out of your pocket If you choose the distant lens then you will lose your near vision acuity and will need reading glasses. I went that route and have not regretted it. I was corrected down from 20/100 and 20/200 to 20/40 in both eyes without glasses and can drive and shoot without them. Since I then needed reading glasses I had them do bi-focals (no visible line) and correct the 20/40 as well and they did that down to 20/13 which is the next to last lowest line on any eye chart. When I renewed my driver's license I read the tiny line at the bottom of the test chart that read "Made in Hong Kong" and the examiner said, "You're a smart ***, but you don't have to read anything else". I also now get to use the tiny peep sight on the rear sight ladders on both my 1903 Springfields. It was the best move I ever could have made for my eyes and kind of a miracle for me. LLS

Greg B.
09-17-2011, 02:42 PM
Had my second eye done in July and am not wearing glasses which I have had to do for the last 49 years. My first eye took about a year to settle down; that is to say before the doc got two eye test readings the same at 4 month intervals. If you get one done and have to wait for the second to get bad enough I found that my overall vision was getting worse when using both eyes before the second operation.

What a positive difference once the second eye was done. I drive without glasses and read normal print without glasses. So far the only detraction is that when driving at night I have to be about one car length away from the stop line before I can read the overhead street name signs.

Even if you do not take the sedative before the operation it is a good idea to have somebody give you a ride home. So far I am very pleased with the results. Good luck.

Greg B.

hiram1
09-17-2011, 09:09 PM
do what the md tells you to do and all will be good

tomme boy
09-17-2011, 09:19 PM
So is this a cadaber lens or something else? I had a injury to my dominate eye that tore the lens from a tree branch. Doc said if it keeps tearing I will have to have a cadaber lens to replace it. Every morning I wake up, I have a chance of it tearing open again. Really sucks.

DLCTEX
09-19-2011, 08:39 AM
I think the lenses are manmade.

crabo
09-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I think the lenses are manmade.

They are. They match them to the curvature of your eye.

johniv
09-19-2011, 06:45 PM
Had my right eye done about 6 weeks ago and shooting and driving have both improved. Got my left done today and expect the best. Get a good Doctor and you wont regret it.
John