PDA

View Full Version : FYI:tumbling media story

tomf52
01-28-2007, 05:35 PM
I have been using all along, ground corn cobb with Brasso (yeah I know it has ammonia in it. My father worked in metallurgy lab and there isn't enough ammonia in it to hurt a brass flea) Been using it for 40 years and have yet to have a case failure. Anyway, my corn cob got filthy and I dumped it. The bag I got at the pet store was a mix of granule sizes. Problems sticking in the cases thought I. I was right. The first batch of .223 cases were a nightmare to pick the stuff out of. So I run around to get the same stuff I was using. Not to be found anywhere. Did find some "kitty litter" made entirely from ground corn kernels. DID NOT WORK! Shells came out looking like they were sandblasted. Did some web searching and found ground corn cob IS available in all different sizes. What I was using first time was very uniform and small in granular size. It was in a prepackaged pet litter/bedding bag. Something to think about when buying the corn cob stuff. Make sure it is a smaller granuler size, and uniformly ground at that.

TCLouis
01-28-2007, 07:50 PM
in your area take a look at the "avian bedding".

It is a real nice sized nut shell product. It come in big bags, but does not spoil. Share the wealth with your reloading friends.

Beat other products when you can find the corn cob media you were seeking.

kywoodwrkr
01-28-2007, 08:18 PM
Best ground walnut hull material I've found was at Wal-Mart in the pet area. Think it was in an 8# bag. Used about 2-3 lbs in my Lyman 1200 vibratory cleaner with some real old Midway media charging fluid and it's the best I've used in quite some time.
While in Wal-Mart you might look for some automobile finish cleaner which is basically rubbing compound in a fluid state. I tried it with some of the corncob bedding and it worked pretty well also on some old 7,62x54R berdan cases.
FWIW
DaveP

mag_01
01-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Tom I found ground walnut shells in a pet store---$4 or so---and yes I also use brasso and other compounds for 40 +, yrs. now and never experienced any problems---also I use cut up old dryer sheets (anti static) and orange peels when I have them ----Truthfully I can not remember the last time I change my media---My cases come out shinny clean no black smudges. Keep them in the black---Mag

montana_charlie
01-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Looked hard in Great Falls for ground walnut shell. The only kind I found was packaged by RCBS (I think) at $20 for five pounds.
Bought 10 pounds from a guy on eBay (same granulation as the RCBS shell) that cost me $14 after shipping. The stuff is well screened, and uniform.
I'm using it (without additives) while I think about getting some ceramic stuff.

What is the purpose of the orange peels?
CM

Charley
01-29-2007, 06:46 PM
the last petstore walnut I bought was about $8 for 25 pounds.

lurch
01-29-2007, 08:15 PM
FWIW, I used to use Brasso. Not anymore though. I got along long time with no failures myself using it before I "knew better". This past summer I brought a box of 223 that I had leaded several years ago (went on a binge at one point...probably 8, 9 years ago) that had been tumbled with the Brasso. Every single one of the necks cracked. After a couple of groups I started playing with the cartridges by trying to wiggle the bullets. All the rest of them cracked as I applied moderate thumb pressure to the side of the bullet. Was it corrosion stress cracking? Don't know for sure but that's sure what it appeared to be. All the other cases from that bunch are just fine - but they had not neen sitting around for a few years stressed trying to hold a bullet. As I understand it, the problem with ammonia traces on brass is that it takes some longer term applied stress for the problems to show up. I never had a problem when I would load & shoot fairly soon afterward. I'm no metallurgist, but I my father is and that is gist of the layman's explanation I got.

Just recounting my personal experience - not saying that this is gospel. I just know that from now on, the brasso stays out of my tumbler. Luckily, I only lost about 40 cases. The last few years I have been using Midway's polish and while it takes a good bit longer to get things all nice & shiny, it works and I have peace of mind about it.

Mallard57
01-30-2007, 01:10 AM
I was wondering about getting a group buy togethor to buy some of those big bags of crushed walnut hulls that they use for media blasting. We used to use it to carbo blast TF33 jet engines when I was in the service. I'm not sure whether they do corn cob media in those sized bags or not. I thought I checked on prices a long time ago and I think the price was pretty reasonable then.
Jeff

georgeld
01-30-2007, 05:33 AM
WHy not just contact: powdervalleyinc.com and order the right stuff??

Cheap enough til you add the shipping that's what hurts most.

I got 40# of treated walnut about '99 and still have most of it. The dust gets
kinda bad so watch breathing it. BUt, it does clean the nasties off things.

IF you want shine, get the plain corn instead.

Seems like it was $17.60/40#. Nearly that much more for shipping though, so ask before you're shocked when you see the ticket like I was.

They've got about the best price's on powder and primers now days too.

BUt, for IMR compare to HiTech, they're cheaper. I went ahead and bought it all from PVI this time because I only wanted one jug of IMR out of six jugs.

Netherwolf
01-30-2007, 06:10 AM
WHy not just contact: powdervalleyinc.com and order the right stuff??

The site wouldn't come up when I tried it. are they still in business?
Netherwolf

No_1
01-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I know that media is graded by size. Does anyone know the size that the walnut and corn are graded to? There is a feed store next door to the storage lot where I keep my camper. With the right information in hand I will approach them with the question of availability/price and report back.

Robert

BruceB
01-30-2007, 06:59 AM
My feed-store ground corncob is the 1/8" size. It works well even down to .223-size cases. Price is about $17 per 40-pound bag, I believe.

The 1/4" stuff is an unending PITA, and should be avoided at all costs!

Our local store will special-order the 1/8" stuff if they happen to be out of stock on it. Takes about a week.

After using corncob for quite a few years (with a small amount of car polish added), I'll never go back to walnut.

ron brooks
01-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Here is the link off of their main page. Matches up with what George said:

http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/

Ron

dragonrider
01-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I have some corn cob and some walnut and I haven't bought any media in at least 10 years. When it gets really dirty I wash it.

BigSlick
01-30-2007, 10:20 PM
You can save a bundle on walnut and corn cob by just dropping by the local sandblast supply place.

I've been getting 50lb bags of walnut for $12 for a couple of years now.

As far as grit size, I use 14/20 and it works great.

Corn cob I use 20/40 grit, it runs about $16/50lbs.

Pet store litter works pretty well, but around here 15lbs runs $25. All of the stuff I've seen in WallyWorld (when I absolutely have to go there) has either ben scented, too large or way high priced compared.

McMaster Carr (and others) will sell 50 lb bags of the same stuff for cheap delivered.

Check some of the sandblast supply places or industrial supply houses.

You might be suprised at how cheap it is.

FWIW,

'Slick
________
Xxx movies free (http://www.****tube.com/)

qajaq59
01-31-2007, 11:32 AM
I buy the crushed walnut shells in the pet store. However, before I use it in the tumbler I go outside and pour it from one container to another and let the winds carry away the really fine dust particles.

alamogunr
01-31-2007, 11:44 AM
Thanks for all the leads and links to sources of tumbling media. I just ordered 40# of corn cob media from an outfit in Iowa. Total was $38. I think that Powder Valley would be cheaper. I won't need any corn cob media for a while but the price I've been paying for walnut shell media from Pet Smart is higher than any of the previous posters quoted and Wal-Mart in this area doesn't have it. No matter what the price, trying to clean used media is not an option for me. I'm waiting for a breeze so I can "de-dust" my crushed walnut shells. Corn cob is not nearly so dusty. But that is all I'm willing to do to clean the stuff.

mag_01
01-31-2007, 12:54 PM
The reason for orange peels---they seem to have an effect on the shine of the cases maybe a citrus (orange) as it tumbles mixes with media and shines cases----Fresh orange peels are best but I leave them in for a week or two----So many cleaners today are made with orange base. Cotton cloth and dryer sheets are just for keeping media clean.----Mag

PatMarlin
02-01-2007, 09:25 AM
I never clean my brass. I've got the tumbler and all, and never use it. But I shoot in clean places, where no dirt or mud gets on em., and they don't seem to be bad after firing. Do you guys do it for looks, or?

qajaq59
02-01-2007, 09:35 AM
I just find that is easier to size and inspect for cracks or other problems when it is squeaky clean. Especially for the 7.5 x 55 Swiss.

Newtire
02-01-2007, 09:54 AM
I bought the corn cob media from Petco along with the lizard bedding walnut shell stuff. The corncob stuff all stuck in the primer pockets and required a mechanic's scribe to get out. I think I will grind up a bunch of the stuff in my coffee grinder to the right consistency (the unused stuff mind you). As for the walnut shell media, my Midway tumbler came with a "hints from Heloise" paper that said to put a capful of laquer thinner into it. Been doing that for 15 yrs. Media gathers up old bullet lube and everything else after a time and then I have to change it. I believe in getting the cases clean so you can see the little hairline cracks etc. If a smoky neck covers up the defects, my tired old eyes can't see a potentially dangerous situation. I also carry my test loads to the range in plastic bags from Big Lots and really don't care a whole lot about what other people think about looks. Funny what some people can think of to get on someone about...