PDA

View Full Version : Silicone Muffin Ingots???

Christorbust
09-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Anyone ever try those flexible silicone muffin trays for casting lead ingots?

If they worked at all it would be way easier to get the lead out... I can't count how many times I've had to remelt my steel muffin trays cause I let them sit too long.

Super cheap too... I saw a 4 hole muffin tray for $7 shipped on ebay.

Opinions?

If not looks like I'll be trying it soon

Springfield
09-09-2011, 04:20 PM
I doubt it would take that kind of heat, they are designed to be used with baked goods. I have a few corn bread molds for sale. Pour the lead in and even if you come back a week later they fall right out.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Give the steel muffin trays a spray of wd-40 before you pour then the lead muffins fall out easy for me at least.

para45lda
09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Silicone is only rated to about 400 degrees. Pretty sure they would melt.

I've been using a "Mini Loaf" pan from wally world. 8 ingots at a time a little over 3 pounds a piece.

So far nothing has stuck.

Wes

Ramslammer
09-09-2011, 05:18 PM
G'Day All
Lyman spray moly on the muffin tins once and I've never had them stick.
Juddy

markinalpine
09-09-2011, 07:18 PM
The ONLY good use for that Frankford Arsenal Mold Release, the black spray on stuff that stains everything and is harder than heck to remove :groner:, is on my muffin tin ingot moulds. Silicone products are limited to normal food baking temperatures, 400 F or thereabouts.
Mark [smilie=s:

nvbirdman
09-09-2011, 09:22 PM
Someone on this forum mentioned stainless condiment cups from Walmart. I tried some and they work great. They're cheap too, less than a buck for four if I remember correctly.

Christorbust
09-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Springfield how much are your cornbread molds, and what shape?

I found a 6 muffin silicone tray covered in dust, and the misses was at work :happy dance: and I just happened to be smelting today (can you have too many ingots?)

It said it was good to 446 degrees on it, but I figured that was food safe, boolit safe is different (read higher) :grin:

I did notice it took longer to cool, and you can't move it around like a tray, obviously. I only did it on concrete, and wouldn't trust them.

Seemed to work fine, and didn't seem harmed in anyway after... although, tonight's muffins tasted wierd :wink:

badbob454
09-10-2011, 03:30 AM
i saw some silicone gold button molds for sale . they must be able to withstand more heat than 400 degrees ?? wouldnt they

selmerfan
09-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Those condiment cups from Wal-Mart are the bees knees! Not every store carries the SS version, the local one only has plastic ones, but I found some out of state when we were traveling for a wedding last month. :)