PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a 4500?

Lizard333
09-08-2011, 02:16 PM
How do clean out the old lube out if your 4500/450?? I am going to try a new lube, some carnuba red, and want to get all of the orange magic in it out. Any ideas?? Thanks!!

selmerfan
09-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Two thoughts, both gleaned from this question being asked here over and over. One, set your oven to 200 degrees and set an old cookie sheet under the sizer and place it in the oven. Two, put it in a large pot and boil it. Let it cool and peel the lube off the top, grease everything well when you're done.

selmerfan
09-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Or pan lube the boolits you want to try out with carnaba red and don't worry about cleaning out the sizer unless you like the red better.

Beerd
09-08-2011, 03:37 PM
If you do the oven thing, remove the plunger thing with the rubber O rings first. No need to cook them.
And do it when Momma's not home ;)

JonB_in_Glencoe
09-08-2011, 04:01 PM
When I change out a Lube in a lubesizer,
I remove the die and the pressure nut, then Heat with a heat gun...outside,
I hold the sizer upsidedown over a jar to catch the molten lube.
it takes about 15 minutes,
and don't overheat the sizer, it only takes about 150º
move the heatgun back and forth.
it's quite easy once you find your rhythym.
Jon

geargnasher
09-08-2011, 05:34 PM
If you have a propane grill, make a fixture to hang the unit inside, remove the grates, put a drip pan on the bottom of the grill underneath the sizer, and turn it on a LOW heat. Obviously, remove any things like the pressure screw and piston, dies, and wooden handles before heating it. You can boil it, too, but add a spoonfull of Dawn to the water or the lube will cling to the metal of the sizer rather than float up and you'll have a terrible time getting the outside of the sizer clean.

Most lube melts and runs at 150 degrees or so, so use your imagination based upon what you have available. A heat gun and some patience would work fine also.

Gear

Blammer
09-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I don't bother changing the lube, I just add the new stuff and go.

Love Life
09-08-2011, 06:01 PM

+1. It's kind of neat to see a swirl of colors in the lube grooves.

Lizard333
09-09-2011, 12:18 PM

I'll give that a try. No point in making a big mess for nothing.