PDA

View Full Version : 03/03A3 Competition

sundog
06-10-2005, 02:09 PM
This is a spinoff from the 1917 Competition. Same rools.

First, this is a FUN match, just for grins and giggles - and braggin' rights. All of you are trusted agents of the cast boolit board, and as such, the group size and score you post will be accepted as true.

Iron sighted 03/03A3, preferrably all original - 'as issued'. If it's not, mention what's been customized. You do need to tell what model, barrel, sights, etc., so we can kinda compare.

Cast boolits.

100 yards.

10-round group (measure center to center). If you post a pic of your group, include a reference marker such as a ruler.

Enter as many times as you want.

All groups must be shot, starting today through Monday, July 4, 2005, Scores must be posted in this thread NLT Sunday, July 9, 2005.

It would also be nice if your posted your load.

If you fire for score, use an SR-21 (300 yard simulated), which is what we use for military bolt matches. Approximate sizes of black rings are X-ring = 3/4". 10-ring = 2". 9-ring is = 4". 8-ring = 6". White rings are 7-ring = 8". 6-ring = 10". 5-ring = 12".

I have a military bolt match tomorrow, so I'll post my best group and score, so y'all kin hee-haw and see how easy it will be to beat! sundog

sundog
06-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Saturday, June 11, midday, sunny (after a few heavy thunderstorms), wind from the south and shooting north.

Fired on a SR-21 as part of our regular monthly mil bolt match, scores 98-2X,99-4X, 97-1X -- Agg 294-7X (btw, I won the match). Groups were 2.760, 2.294. Actually, the smallest group, even though not fired as a group target was the 99-4X score target which was 2.175.

Rifle is a CMP 03A3 Rem 2-groover 'as issued'.

Load was 23.0 N120, RCBS 308-180-SP, LCNM case, and Rem 9 1/2 primer. sundog

edit: btw, this rifle appeared to be in 'new' and unfired condition when I got it several years ago. It's never had a jacket bullet through it, and after initial breakin, the bore has never been cleaned since. It has at least 2,500 rounds through it w/o cleaning. I'm using FWFL and the big group buy gas checks.

Buckshot
06-13-2005, 07:45 AM
............Not bad dude. Measuring out here to 3 decimal places I see :D. Be interesting to see what else others come up with.

................Buckshot

JSH
06-16-2005, 10:50 PM
Any of you have a link to a correct sized target I can copy. I am game, but don't know if I can get it shot by the 4th, I will make an effort.
Uh, standing, prone, bench.............. what are the rules as far as that goes?
Jeff

Ken O
06-17-2005, 10:25 PM
Great scores Sundog! I take it these are like a normal match, ie the first scores are offhand, the second is rapid sitting from standing, and the third string is rapid prone from standing?
Jeff, if you go to the U.S Palma website www.uspalma.com when the website comes up, type "targets" in the search box, then click on the 300 reduced to 100 target, its in pfd format, so it takes a little time to download... then print them out.

David R
06-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Hey Thanks KenO

Char-Gar
06-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Last Friday..June 17th. Hot and sunny is deep South Texas, I shot the group at 9am to beat the heat. The range was 100 yards from a bench rest. The target was a 4" black square.

The rifle was an issue 03A3 Remington with a 4 groove barrel. It was rebuilt at Ogden in 1945 and was unfired when it came to my hands 15 years ago. I installed a milled 03 trigger guard and floor plate. For this match I switched out the cocking piece with one that had had the cocking notch worked on to produce a smoother and lighter trigger pull. The sights were stock military.

The load was 165 RCBS Sil cast of No. 2, lubed with beeswax and vasaline and sized .310. The cases are Lake City 68 National Match with Remington 9.5 primers. 50/WC872 plus 1cc of PSB for a filler.

7 shots in 1.5
8 shots in 1.6
9 shots in 1.9
10 shots in 2.2 (darn that one bullet)

This rifle was a gift from a friend. Her husband was on the way to the dumpster with it when she saw him. He said he was tired of having this junk rifle cluttering up the closet. She said "Let's give it to Charles..He likes guns and maybe he can use a part off of it". How lucky can a fellow get.

carpetman
06-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Chargar--Charles,not to fret,Starmetal could fix that junker to where it would shoot.

sundog
06-24-2005, 11:00 AM
Ken, sorry it took a few days to respond -- been gone -- but I'm back, now.

Rools for the mil bolt match we shoot are here:

http://home.valornet.com/corkyconnell/bam/bam_rules.html

All shots (50) fired from the bench, not like high power, that way we get alot more folks to participate. It's laid back and friendly. We shoot this match once a month and generally have about 15 to 20 show up. Some of the fellers even stick around for an informal .22 match afterwards.

btw, in my experience the is NO advantage in this game shooting jacketed ammo. My opinion is that you are actually at a disadvantage due to to the increased recoil. sundog

edit: just an added note that Hodgdon has some "Youth Loads" listed that have reported worked pretty well for recoil sensitive types. The one I'm familiar with someone using is the 125 gr bullet and H4895 (reduced charge). One feller and his daughter shoot that load and report good results.

StarMetal
06-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Sundog,

Don't know if I agree with that jacketed comment. There are different degrees of recoil sensitive. I don't like the big magnums for sure, but the calibers below that don't bother me. I once had a 03 Springfield, Remington model, arsenal rebuild with a new barrel. I glass bedded it, worked the trigger, and put a receiver sight on it. With the Lyman 311284 it would shoot five shot groups at 100 yards where the bullets would cut one another, and as Carpetman would say "shoot a ragged hole". This would be 3/4 inch. Then a friend talked me into selling it to him. He shot jacketed only. He shot consistant 5/8 inch ragged holes at 100 yards and to say he was happy would be an unstatement. To say I was happy I sold him the rifle would be even a greater understatement. I think jacketed bullets are more to perfect then cast bullets and definately alot more forgiving to the stresses of shooting them. Like I said some folks aren't bothered by the recoil. Example: Met a fellow (in Oklahoma nonetheless) that was shooting some cannon of a rifle at this range my friend and I went too. Here he was shooting at popcans at 25 yards away. The rifle was a 458 Winchester magnum and he was using factory loads. Asked why he chose that particular caliber and rifle he said he loved how it tore the can up and even if he didn't hit the can he liked how it plowed up the earth around the can and still knocked the can over. The recoil apparently didn't bother him, he loved it.

Joe

sundog
06-24-2005, 03:20 PM
Joe, I guess what I was getting at was 'ME' being recoil sensitive, and I'm a purdy big feller. One of our regulars is a Korean War (yea, it really was a 'WAR') Vet, well, actually we have several, but anyway, he shoots either milsurp or heavy handloads in his 03, it beats him up good, and he loves it. Who am I to argue with success??? Funny thing is though, he never wins. He has a dandy time, but he never wins. Of course, winning isn't everything (except sometimes). He does very well shooting BR50 though with those lil ole 'no recoil' .22s. sundog

StarMetal
06-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Sundog

Maybe your Korean War Vet shoot minute of N. Korean!!! Hey that was good enough in the war. As for you being big, that has nothing to do with how recoil sensitive a person is in my book. Now don't get me wrong you can't expect some 90 lb girl or boy not to get really hurt by some bad recoiling rifle and become recoil sensitive. Hey I wish I was there as your shoot sounds like tons of fun pardner. Keep up the good work.

Joe

floodgate
06-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Corky, Joe: I reckemember reading somewhere about a champion Army shooter back in the 1880's. He shot that heavy-recoiling 500-gr. .45-70 load. Weighed aboout 140 lbs. and 6' plus tall. Onlookers said he bent under recoil "like a willow in a windstorm". Got good scores, and he said the "kick" didn't bother him at all. It's the beefier guys who get beat-up worst. floodgate

Calamity Jake
07-03-2005, 12:10 AM
Finaly got to shoot mine today in our mil bolt match:
Rem. 03A3 as issued , LC 68, RP primer, RCBS 30-150FN, FWFL, 28.5 H4895 with dacron wad, score on SR21 97-3X and group 2.197 inches.

This gun shoots a whole lot better than that, my 55YO eyes that has had to have glasses for 52 years give me trouble sometimes, today was one of ovem.

45 2.1
07-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Shot the group this afternoon. 93 degrees, 15 mph crosswind, also can't count because I had 12 holes in the target. Group ctr-ctr = 2 1/4", 1st 5 in 3/4" with a 1.25" high by 2.125" wide for the 12 rounds. Seems like my wind doping needs work to. Rifle 1903 Springfield, bullet Lyman 314299 cast of wheel weights and sized .313" with some charge of IMR 4227, its been 5 years since I loaded those and I can't remember the charge.

Sailman
07-08-2005, 02:09 AM
The results of this Wednesday will count for the next months match.

Bullet---------- 311644 Powder-------2400
Sized---------- .308 Amount------ 14gr
Bullet weight----190 gr ( advertised )

Primer----------Rem 9 1/2 Range--------100 yd

I shot 4 groups. The first and second groups were shot with less-than-perfect cast bullets. The third and fourth groups were shot with the better-quality cast bullets.

Results-----------------

Group # 1-------- 3 7/8 in. Group For Record---------2 1/2 in.
Group # 2-------- 3 3/4 in.
Group # 3-------- 2 1/2 in.
Group # 4-------- 2 5/8 in.

Buckshot
07-08-2005, 03:09 AM
............You guys are doing some fine shooting!

...........Buckshot

Pop_No_Kick
07-08-2005, 06:11 PM
This is a spinoff from the 1917 Competition. Same rools.

First, this is a FUN match, just for grins and giggles - and braggin' rights. All of you are trusted agents of the cast boolit board, and as such, the group size and score you post will be accepted as true.

Iron sighted 03/03A3, preferrably all original - 'as issued'. If it's not, mention what's been customized. You do need to tell what model, barrel, sights, etc., so we can kinda compare.

Cast boolits.

100 yards.

10-round group (measure center to center). If you post a pic of your group, include a reference marker such as a ruler.

Enter as many times as you want.

All groups must be shot, starting today through Monday, July 4, 2005, Scores must be posted in this thread NLT Sunday, July 9, 2005.

It would also be nice if your posted your load.

If you fire for score, use an SR-21 (300 yard simulated), which is what we use for military bolt matches. Approximate sizes of black rings are X-ring = 3/4". 10-ring = 2". 9-ring is = 4". 8-ring = 6". White rings are 7-ring = 8". 6-ring = 10". 5-ring = 12".

I have a military bolt match tomorrow, so I'll post my best group and score, so y'all kin hee-haw and see how easy it will be to beat! sundog

Can I Play?

I have a Remington M1903

Rifle purchased as is from the Ft. Lewis (Wa) PDO Yard.
This Rifle has been sporterized. (recv'd it that way)

Rifle cost was $35.00 (1974)

Specs are

S/n 3020674
features a 4 grove bbl.
Original stock was cut back and forearms removed
bbl. rings bayanet mount removed.

Sights are "iron" U.S. Peep w/matching Thin front Post

Butt Plate Removed an Pachmyer (old) Recoil pad was installed.

Std. Trigger pull.

This is the way the rifle was purchased.
(It has Taken alot of deer, Hogs and yes even a squirrel or 2)
Please let me know if this rifle meets with ya'll aprov.

Thanx's
Chuck

sundog
07-08-2005, 07:20 PM
PNK - Chuck, sure you can play. Shoot some target and post the result. This is funner than skinnin' one of catperman's cats, fer shur. Check my most recent post in the Dacron thread. These babies will do the job if you do. I'm 'planning' on posting some good scores tomorrow, Lord willin' and the crik don't rise. sundog

Pop_No_Kick
07-09-2005, 10:45 AM
PNK - Chuck, sure you can play. Shoot some target and post the result. This is funner than skinnin' one of catperman's cats, fer shur. Check my most recent post in the Dacron thread. These babies will do the job if you do. I'm 'planning' on posting some good scores tomorrow, Lord willin' and the crik don't rise. sundog

Yea' Ha!
Thanx's for let'n Me Play with ya'll, I am going to the public range today. and see if i can hit the paper.

Looking forward to this.

Thanx's Again.
Chuck..

oksmle
07-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Date: 9 July 2005
Rifle: Smith/Corona .03-A3, 4 groove (trigger slicked up a tad.)
Load: Lyman #311284 (nose pour), WW, 210.0 grains, indexed, 19.1 grains SR4759 (surplus), 1600 fps (chronographed), Remington cases, necked sized & indexed to chamber, Hornady Gas Checks.
Group #1: 1.713"
Group #2: 2.017"
Score #1: 98-4x
Score #2: 99-6x
Score #3: 98-6x
Total: 295-16x

oksmle

Pop_No_Kick
07-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Yea' Ha!
Thanx's for let'n Me Play with ya'll, I am going to the public range today. and see if i can hit the paper.

Looking forward to this.

Thanx's Again.
Chuck..

Well I went to the range. brung the ammo, Forgot the rifle
by the kitchen door!
So I quess I BOLLOWED My first shoot.

I Was think'n Maybe I could have thrown the Boolits @ the paper but decided to Shoot the carbine instead.
Well Hope to get some scores in.

Thanx's
chuck