PDA

View Full Version : Copper washed boolits

45-70 Chevroner
09-07-2011, 10:22 AM
I have two boxes of 250 ea. 240 gr. copper washed and they are also lubed. These are Keith style boolits with a standard width lube grove. They were made by Monarch Bullet Co. of Rochester Washington (State). They are fairly hard but I can put a mark in them with my thumb nail with a lot of pressure. I've had these for 5 years I got them from my brothers estate. The price tag on the box is $9.00 a box. (wow) that would be a great price today.
I guess my question is have any of you shot any of these boolits? Also what can I expect in the way of copper fouling. The actual weight of these boolits range from 235.6 gr. to 238.6 gr. I don't usually weight my own cast boolits and I'm pretty sure mine have that much veriation in weight.

This is a side note. I have 8, 1 pound cans of some pistol powder it is called "Industrial Pistol powder" it is a stick powder cut irregular and quite small. The lable on the metal can (round metal can) gives loads for 7 different calibers and one load for each different bullet. Has any one used this powder. I looked it up on line and all I could find was a powder with the same name but it being a ball powder. I looked at this powder with a magnifing glass and it is definitely a stick powder.

dverna
09-07-2011, 11:57 AM
It was a ball type powder - used Unique data I believe. If yours is a stick type, maybe the IPP cans were used to hold another powder the fellow had bought in bulk??

I would refrain from using it. $120 will not go far to repair a gun or stitch back fingers.

Don

45-70 Chevroner
09-07-2011, 02:54 PM
dverna: I for got to mention that I have been using this powder, and with no ill effects.
This powder came in these cans, a friend and I ordered it from a catalog company. It was kind of like a Cheaper than dirt's catalog but a different name. I'm not sure but I think it was the shot gun news. I think we paid $4 a can for 10 cans, the shipping was like $10 hazzard included. That was about 14 years ago. At that time I was paying $12 dollars a can for Unique. I have been using it for the cowboy shoots in my 45 colt Rugers and Rossi Mod 92. It shoots about like Unique. 9.5 grs. according to the lable is 995 FPS and according to my Chrony that is pretty close. There is no powder residue left in the barrel after shooting. I have been shooting 8.0 grs. for about 800 FPS. My friend died and I now have his half of the lot. He did not get a chance to use any of it. I have used up 2 cans and have started on the third. I had a lot of unique and bullseye so have only been using this powder for about a year. It's not quite as dirty as the old Unique but it is still dirty.