PDA

View Full Version : Steel cases , work hardening ?

Johnch
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Not wanting to hijack the other thread about loading steel cases

So I will ask in a new thread

I loaded 45 ACP steel cases years back when I was just starting
As I was given the loaded surplus ammo to shoot
And at he time those were the only 45 cases I had
So I am not saying we can't or shouldn't load the steel cases

BUT

I know brass - brass will work harden
So we aneal rifle cases and IMO that is why some of the time we get splits in pistol brass

But will steel cases work harden ?
And if so , how long will it take ?

John

fredj338
09-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Of course they will. It will depend on what the steel is & if/how it was annealed for reloading. Think of a paper clip, some type of mild steel. How many times can you bend it before it breaks?

MtGun44
09-06-2011, 02:39 AM
Yes, steel work hardens. Probably not as quickly as brass, but it will definitely do it,
all metals that are maleable do it. You will have to push harder on the handle each
time you reload as the steel gets stronger.

Bill

frkelly74
09-06-2011, 08:43 AM
The reloading steel scenario is feasible and practical only if you accept short case life as a fact of life, and get them free to use, In my opinion.

dragonrider
09-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Yes steel will work harden but it takes significantly more "work" to do so than for brass. I don't think you need to worry about it in the amount of times your will be reloading steel cases.

MikeS
09-07-2011, 02:00 AM
If you're serious about trying to get longer life out of steel cases, I would reload them once, and then after that, remove any that have split, then anneal the cases. This will undo any work hardening, and should make them reloadable for more loadings that if left un-annealed. I don't know how often the cases could/should be annealed, but as long as the cases don't split, if annealed on a regular basis, I would think they would last just as long as brass.