PDA

View Full Version : How to buy lead from an Indoor Range

unknownhavoc
09-05-2011, 12:21 AM
Was at my local range and decided to ask if they would sell range lead. The gentleman told me that he couldn't sell lead because you needed a special license, or something along those lines. What exactly would I need to qualify me to buy the lead from these guys? I am pretty close friends with one of the owners, but he told me like it was. Anything I can do. Also I am in PA if that is an issue. I am just looking for a cheap source of lead to start stockpiling away.

R.M.
09-05-2011, 12:26 AM
My personal opinion is, they are full of it. Why they don't want to sell you lead, who knows, but there's no law that I'm aware of, just a lot of stories.

303Guy
09-05-2011, 12:39 AM
If there is no real legal issure I see no reason why you not should not 'create' an official looking purchasing document and present it to them! Just make sure your 'document' is not breaking any laws! If they're that stupid or ignorant to start with then capitalize on it. It is a capitalist society is it not?:twisted:

Cadillo
09-05-2011, 02:05 AM
I suspect that they already have an agreement with someone to mine it and haul it away. A friend used to be part owner of the local indoor range, and one two occasions I was there on a Sunday (closed) visiting with my buddy who had to open the door for the crew who mined the lead and hauled it off.

It's my understanding that if the lead is allowed to build up too much, it will create what they call "hot spots" and the lead will begin to ball up and cause subsequent bullets to bounce back. I've not seen it myself, but that's what I was told.

My guess is that your range does not want to ***** the deal with whoever is already in place.

Clinebo
09-05-2011, 02:14 AM
"It is a capitalist society is it not?" It USED to be......but now ?????

sig2009
09-05-2011, 09:37 AM
I just take a 5 gal bucket with me when I go. If no one else is there I fill the bucket and leave. It is a private range. So far I have managed to get about 500 lbs.

C.F.Plinker
09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Are you talking about a commercial range or a private range/gun club range? If the latter, do they allow their member to mine the berm for their own consumption? It may make a difference if you are looking to buy all they have or just 5-10 gallons for your own use.

sig2009
09-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Are you talking about a commercial range or a private range/gun club range? If the latter, do they allow their member to mine the berm for their own consumption? It may make a difference if you are looking to buy all they have or just 5-10 gallons for your own use.

Mine is an indoor/membership private range. I just walk up to the floor trap and fill up the bucket. Do they alllow it. Heck if i know. Never asked. Like I said if there is no one else in there shooting as far as I am concerned it's free.:wink:

Freightman
09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
I was a member of an indoor pistol club for awhile and they required you to clean the pits at least once a year. I cleaned it as often as there was lead present. Guess I should join back up as it is closer than the rifle/pistol outdoor club I am a member of. They do not allow rifles.

sig2009
09-05-2011, 04:52 PM
I was a member of an indoor pistol club for awhile and they required you to clean the pits at least once a year. I cleaned it as often as there was lead present. Guess I should join back up as it is closer than the rifle/pistol outdoor club I am a member of. They do not allow rifles.

My club has the work day once a month and we usually get probably 6-8 5 gal buckets half filled and that is every month. We clean the traps once a month but are only reguired to do 1 work day a year. If you do that you only pay $50 a year membership. If you don't do the 1 work day a year you are charged $100 for the membership.

Ziptar
09-05-2011, 09:50 PM
I just take a 5 gal bucket with me when I go. If no one else is there I fill the bucket and leave. It is a private range. So far I have managed to get about 500 lbs.

I do the same, haven't got to 500 lbs yet though. :D

Dickenscpa
09-09-2011, 03:23 PM
I suspect that they already have an agreement with someone to mine it and haul it away. A friend used to be part owner of the local indoor range, and one two occasions I was there on a Sunday (closed) visiting with my buddy who had to open the door for the crew who mined the lead and hauled it off.

It's my understanding that if the lead is allowed to build up too much, it will create what they call "hot spots" and the lead will begin to ball up and cause subsequent bullets to bounce back. I've not seen it myself, but that's what I was told.

My guess is that your range does not want to ***** the deal with whoever is already in place.

I'm trying to negotiate with the range I go to to get the lead. They have a guy coming from 2 states away at the moment. They told me it was frustrating with him being so far away because they can't get him out there when they need him.

A couple of weeks later I'm shooting and get hit by lead 3 times. Once it broke skin and actually hurt. When I told the owners on the way out he said, " That's exactly what I was talking about with getting that guy down here. We get hot spots."

So, there's either validity to the hot spot theory or at least two range owners believe in it. I know I cut my shooting short that day. I got hit 3 times but heard it spraying around me at times.

Brad

Old Caster
09-09-2011, 08:16 PM
Brad, Tell him that for a price, you could cool off that hot spot. -- Bill --

Centaur 1
09-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Our local range has a deal with the people who clean out the backstop. If they don't get a certain quantity they charge the range for their services. The range owner is so afraid of not meeting the minimum that he won't allow anyone to mine for lead. I was there once when they had the lead loaded on pallets waiting to be picked up by the trucking company. They had four or five heavy duty crates that were approximately 4' x4'x4' cubes full of lead. What a waste.

Dickenscpa
09-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Brad, Tell him that for a price, you could cool off that hot spot. -- Bill --

He gave me a price of $.20/lb. I can handle that, it's the volume. 1-2000lbs every other week is more than I can handle. I don't have the time to smelt that type of volume and no where to store it until I get time.

I'm in a catch 22:|

Brad

Benji40
09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Brad, What range? I am in Nashville.

Bob Krack
09-10-2011, 09:03 PM
Brad,
Why not put a message out to fellow Volunteers (Tennessee-ans) and make it a joint venture? Take turns - help each other - ETC. Wisht I were back in Tennessee for something like that.

Bob

colt 357
09-10-2011, 10:25 PM
Hi I am colt 357 and I am a scrounger
I get my lead from the local range here (outdoor). You can't start shooting till 9 am so I get the about 7:30. I look around for brass which I get a good score of then mine the hill till 9. I get about 3/4 of a 5 gallon bucket which is anuff to carry. Then I had anuff by then and it is time to shot. About once a month for lead keep me going with a stock of 200 pounds. Brass is every weekend.

bigjason6
09-11-2011, 01:14 AM
I talked to one of the trustees at the range I go to a couple weeks ago. He was a little hesitant about letting me mine the berms for lead since they have people that clear them out from time to time. That was until I told him that all the lead I'd be taking would be promptly reinserted at high velocity into the berms on a weekly basis. He then laughed and said knock yourself out, just don't be digging any tunnels or holding up the other shooters! It was a win win situation for the both of us! :)

jameslovesjammie
09-11-2011, 02:54 PM
I used to get range scrap from connections I have at a LE range. I would come up in the afternoon, spend time mining, and then shoot a few rounds off for kicks with the Firearms Instructor/Armorer. I got around a ton of range scrap out when I was told I couldn't get any more. The Director wanted to have someone licensed and insured. I never went any farther, but was thinking of starting a LLC. Their concern was if I had some type of accident while on the property. There was no agreement for me to sign that would relieve them of any obligation and in their eyes I was just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I just wanted the lead.

44fanatic
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
He gave me a price of $.20/lb. I can handle that, it's the volume. 1-2000lbs every other week is more than I can handle. I don't have the time to smelt that type of volume and no where to store it until I get time.

Brad

Brad, What range? I am in Nashville.

Dang, I might be to far out...up in Clarksville.

Benji40
09-12-2011, 08:58 AM
We may have enough people to help out Brad, good enough excuse for a road trip anyway.

01SVTvert
09-13-2011, 08:30 PM

Brad

I know this will peeve a few off. Check out the price a scrapyard will give you for bringing it there. You could get maybe .28 a lb, keep a bunch for yourself and still make a few bucks for gas money. THis is what is happening to it anyways so any you divert goes back into shooting is a good thing.

Either that or take a couple days, smelt most of the first run, and sell it here, end up with at least 1k in profit. Figure you can pay yourself maybe $50 an hour for smelting / sorting / boxing this. Alternately sell the range scrap here at a steep discount and still profit.

My opinion, find a partner that can store a bunch and make money doing this while making all the lead you need free for the next 1000 years.

Lizard333
09-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Keep it all if you can!! I won't stop collecting WW's till my pile offsets the rotation of the earth!! Even then, I would have to think about it!!

pistolman44
09-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I buy mine from an indoor range at $10 for a 3/4 full 5 gal bucket. What is nice it's already in the buckets. They usally have 7 or 8 buckets a month. I think I might get a smelting set up and start to sell this stuff since I'm retired now. I shoot this lead in my 45 acp's and my 357 mag gc water dropped. It's a little bit of a pain to melt out all of the metal jackets. But for the price it's worth it I guess.