PDA

View Full Version : Lyman #4 Review Finally Out

Rocky Raab
09-04-2011, 09:42 AM
If anybody still cares, my review of the Lyman #4 Cast Bullet Manual is finally out. Issue # 274 of Handloader magazine (October issue).

94Doug
09-04-2011, 09:48 AM
...of course we do.

Doug

Rocky Raab
09-04-2011, 11:06 AM
That's kind of you, Doug.

Dale53
09-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Rocky;
That is a good, solid review, and contains information that most will find useful when considering purchase.

I pre-ordered mine, and am NOT sorry I did so. As you have pointed out, it is not perfect but VERY useful. It deserves a place on the shelf of any bullet caster, IMO...

Dale53

fryboy
09-04-2011, 11:23 AM
i'm with doug ! indeed alot of us have read your writing before there was a (big) internet , in fact your 30 herret article ( ummm way back when ) is why i finally tried that cartridge ( thanx amigo and for the heads up as well ! )

mdi
09-04-2011, 11:51 AM
Thanks Rocky. I'll have to find that article, I think I have that issue around here somewhere. I'd like to see what someone with much more experience than I have has to say about the 4th Edition...

OOPS! wrong month...

Rocky Raab
09-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm deeply flattered, guys - because it works BOTH ways. When guys as experienced as you think I'm doing all right, then I must be.

mdi, it's the current issue, just now in the mail or in their digital version.

TXGunNut
09-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Having problems reaching your page but the book is awesome, Rocky. Ordered it as soon as it was available and immediately started reading it. The chapters in front contain a wealth of info but I'm an unabashed Mike Venturino fan and he's writing about something we both love, could be a bit biased. Not gonna spoil the ending for you (PSSST....it's an excellent reference section!) but you won't be disappointed.

dale2242
09-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Haven`t got my October issue of Handloader in the mail yet.
I can`t wait.
Thanks, Rocky....dale

MtGun44
09-05-2011, 12:56 AM
Looking fwd to reading the review, Rocky.

Bill

MakeMineA10mm
09-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Hey Rocky - GREAT job on the write up. It's nice seeing an article (finally, after the authors who had the cohones to diss their advertisers once in awhile) that is not all fluff about how wonderful everything new is... You made excellent calls and a good solid review, with even some critical information. Says a lot for Handloader Magazine that they'd publish that, and even more for you for having the guts to send it to them.

It's funny, as I was killing time in Barnes and Noble checking out the current issue and as I'm thumbing through, I see a review of the Lyman #4 and somewhere it says something like "finally out," and I'm thinking, "wow, Handloader is a little behind the times here... Then, after reading most of the article and being impressed by how it was written, I looked up to see who wrote the article and see your name! I about fell outta my chair!

Great job!!!

High 5 for that one!
:2_high5:

1Shirt
09-25-2011, 12:33 PM
Rocky, A decent review for a short article. Plainly stated, and without excesses of commentary. Perhaps a more detailed analysis sometime in the future would be helpfull as well. I almost never agree 100 percent with anyone on any subject, but think I would give you at least a 90% on your article.
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Rocky Raab
09-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Guys, that piece is about 150% of the normal word limit for book/manual reviews. One reason why it took so long to see print was that they just didn't have the page space until now - and they chose not to cut it down to fit in a smaller space just to run it earlier. The kudos go to Dave and Roberta Scovill for that, not me.

sig2009
09-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Been looking in Walmart for the current issue and they don't have it yet. They usually do carry the magazine though.

Chrome1981
09-25-2011, 04:38 PM
I have found on Ebay Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th Edition

Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.it/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-4th-Edition-/200647521446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb78634a6#ht_647wt_698)

The price is US $28,93 for the book and 26,55 for shipping ( i live in Roma, Italy).

do u think that it is expensive or should I buy?

94Doug
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Very nice review. Finally got my Handloader this week. I think I may wait until I can get one second hand....I don't have anything in a "new" caliber.

Doug

MakeMineA10mm
09-25-2011, 09:48 PM

Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.it/Lyman-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-4th-Edition-/200647521446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2eb78634a6#ht_647wt_698)

The price is US $28,93 for the book and 26,55 for shipping ( i live in Roma, Italy).

In my opinion, that's too expensive. I've shipped stuff to Europe, and even at the weight of the book, they should be charging you about half what that shipping charge is...

I'm not sure what powders you have access to in Italy, but unless you can get a pretty broad range of the powders commonly available here, my opinion is that it's too much money all the way around, even though it would probably be a good read.

BCB
09-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Rocky;
That is a good, solid review, and contains information that most will find useful when considering purchase.

I pre-ordered mine, and am NOT sorry I did so. As you have pointed out, it is not perfect but VERY useful. It deserves a place on the shelf of any bullet caster, IMO...

Dale53

How do you get that article so quickly?...

I just got my #274 a few days ago...

I think the review is good...

I am now going to read the "technical" article that Rocky mentioned...

See if I can understand it...

But, I do like the 4th Edition...

Just 'cause I like to read that type of stuff...

I didn't compare it to the 3rd Edition, but as R.R. says, there are some new datas listed...

Maybe I will need some of them...

Can't have too many reloading manuals...

I enjoyed reading the review 'cause it was pretty dang good, and I can discuss it with the author...

That's cool...

BCB

Dale53
09-27-2011, 12:00 AM
BCB;
I have an electronic subscription to Handloader magazine. All of the issues are "at hand" on my computer, delivered instantly, and no storage issues with tons of magazines littering up the house. On top of that, it is less expensive than a paper subscription.

Dale53

BCB
09-27-2011, 06:13 AM
BCB;
I have an electronic subscription to Handloader magazine. All of the issues are "at hand" on my computer, delivered instantly, and no storage issues with tons of magazines littering up the house. On top of that, it is less expensive than a paper subscription.

Dale53

O.K. now I get it...

I thought maybe I was just last on the mailing list or something...

Thanks...BCB

GRid.1569
09-27-2011, 07:03 AM

Hi Chrome1981

Check these guys out...

http://www.shooting-supplies.eu/main/LYMAN-Cast-Bullet-Handbook-4th-Edition.p582.html

they're in Lux

R.
GRid.1569