PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1892 fined

lead Foot
09-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Hope you guys can help. Just come by a Winchester 1892, it has a low serial number ~ no 35##. That made my eyes light up:p I looked up the date and nearly fall of my seat.( Made in 1892) There is a catch the barrel has been replaced with 310~12~120 (BSA):groner: I know they replaced them with those barrels after the war when they were worn out. It will shoot 32-20. The action is very tight for the age. Anyone know the value with the original barrel and the one now fitted.
Thanks Lead foot.

Wayne Smith
09-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Looks like they shortened the mag tube, too. I have no idea of the relative values, but it seems to me that you might as well enjoy a shooter.

bob208
09-05-2011, 10:14 AM
not really on the mag tube they could be ordered with a button mag which ended at the forearm.

Reg
09-05-2011, 10:33 AM
Nice old gun someone really did a hack job on. Mag tube has been cut back for sure and that barrel would be the first to go on my list. Most of those Martini barrels will slug out around .318 on the bore, really difficult to match up with any normal 32-20 bullet.
If the price were right , I would keep it anyway and keep on the lookout for parts. Magazine tubes do show up from time to time on fleabay and Gunbroker and on a rare occasion , I have seen takeoff barrels at major gun shows. Would take some serious looking and no small amount of time but I have seen where some of these nicer old rifles have been put back togeather again. Well worth the effort.

;-)

lead Foot
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
not really on the mag tube they could be ordered with a button mag which ended at the forearm.

Thanks for the input Guys. The short mag looks factory made. I wonder how many were made in the first year of manufacture.
Lead foot;

bob208
09-07-2011, 06:23 AM
hard to tell how many in the first year. but the button mag was an option on the 73, 76 and the 86. all models preseading the 92.