PDA

View Full Version : Success, finally!

Naga
09-04-2011, 12:47 AM
(Not sure if this is the correct section to post this in, so if it isn't, please delete/move)

Over the past few months, I have been failing miserably at casting. However, today, I successfully produced some Makarov boolits for the first time. As you might imagine, I am very excited, and the only point of this topic is to share my experience.

I got all of the casting supplies for my birthday in March: A Lee Pro 4-20, a Lyman 314299, 28 lbs of hardball alloy from Midway, and all the other necessary accouterments. Due to my work and school schedule, however, I didn't get a chance to try any of it out for another month.

My first casting session seemed to go very well. I had good fillout with the Lyman mold, and it only took a few raps with a plastic hammer to get the mold to release the boolits. However, upon close inspection of the boolits, I discovered that the halves didn't appear to line up: There was a pronounced ridge where the seam was. Upon inspection of the mold, I discovered that the problem was a defective mold, in which the mold halves were slightly out of alignment. Taking the advice from the posters on this forum, I sent it to Lyman for replacement.

About six weeks later, the replacement mold arrived. I tried it, and amazingly enough, the replacement had the exact same problem! I checked the stamp on the block to make sure it wasn't just the original one I sent in but in a new package, and found that it was, in fact, a new mold with the same problem. I became frustrated by this, so I decided to purchase a Lee 312-180-2R for my Mosins, and a Lee 365-95-1R for my CZ-82.

A few weeks after they arrived, I finally got around to testing one of the new Lee molds, the 312-180-2R. I found that, despite having everything up to temperature, I kept getting poor fillout. I tried on and off over the next several weeks to get them to work, but to no avail.

Fast forward to today. I am reading this message board, and discover a post about zinc causing problems with casting. I realize that my alloy was experiencing some of the symptoms of zinc contamination (most notably, "oatmeal" floating on the surface.) Since I usually cast in my garage, I realized that I probably accidentally swept up a zinc wheel weight and dropped it into the pot during clean up after one of my previous casting sessions.

A bit more searching uncovered instructions on how to remove zinc from the alloy. I carefully brought the alloy up to the correct temperature, then I fluxed it twice, to ensure that I had removed all the contaminants. After this, I sat down with my Makarov mold and began casting. I was still having fillout problems, but then the copious amount of smoke rising from the mold reminded me that I had failed to clean this mold before use! I let it cool back down, then I scrubbed it with dish soap, followed by flushing it with mineral spirits.

Finally, I sat back down and began casting. After casting a few bad boolits to get the mold back up to the correct temperature, the mold began dropping perfect boolits, requiring only a few light taps on the handle hinge to release them.

Unfortunately, I must get up early tomorrow morning, so I only got to cast about 50 boolits before shutting down. I can hardly wait for this Wednesday, though: It is my next day off, and I now plan on having a day long casting session!

I'd like to say thanks to everyone on this board who has knowingly or unknowingly shared with me the information that made today a success. This is truly a great community!

Southern Son
09-04-2011, 03:19 AM
It's great when everything just clicks and it finally comes together. Well done.

09-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Sometimes, it doesn't come together as quickly or easily as we would like. However, you took the initiative to do the research, had the patience to hang in there, and are being rewarded with the right results. Congratulations.

Tip: Using a hot plate to pre-heat the mould will eliminate those initial rejects.