PDA

View Full Version : Dog

Blammer
09-03-2011, 07:42 PM
got a dog today.

a mutt.

8 month old female, fixed

half lab half hound half mutt

first pet in the family, not counting the chickens.

what a day

more later

wallenba
09-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Spaye her. I adopted a sweet intact stray. Got to love her. She got mammary gland cancer (adenocarcinoma) a year later. I spent a ton of money and still lost her. She was about 7 years old when I found her. The vet said it makes all the difference getting them fixed.

docone31
09-03-2011, 07:56 PM
I agree, get her spayed. They spray down the road.
She will be happier spayed, let alone live longer.
I hope you guys grow old together.
You can always talk to her, no matter what.

Blammer
09-03-2011, 07:57 PM
got her from the shelter, rabies shot up to date, spayed and healthy

09-03-2011, 08:40 PM
Your life will never be same, but in a far better way.

Wayne Smith
09-03-2011, 08:51 PM
If the girls ever let you play with her!

markinalpine
09-03-2011, 10:08 PM
Nothing wrong with a mutt, or as I sometimes say, it proudly posesses a complex and somewhat mysterious pedigree. :veryconfu
Good luck,
Mark [smilie=s:

LeadHound
09-03-2011, 10:31 PM
As I say they Pure breed American Mutt a first class breed best kinda dog you can get. I got 7 of them myself never lonly around my house.

Blammer
09-03-2011, 10:57 PM
mutt pics, all play, no bark, no bite, no jump, no licking.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Dog/DSCN8540.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Dog/DSCN8539.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Dog/DSCN8538.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Dog/DSCN8537.jpg

wallenba
09-03-2011, 11:09 PM
Spitting image of my old mutt Buddy. Almost brings tears. He's old and a little gray here though. Passed Sept. 8th 2008.

wallenba
09-03-2011, 11:24 PM
got a dog today.

a mutt.

8 month old female, fixed

half lab half hound half mutt

first pet in the family, not counting the chickens.

what a day

more later

Blammer, don't they have a semi-feral dog in your region of the country called a "Carolina" dog? I do recall they look something like that.

zardoz
09-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Petey, my best buddy, just showed up in the garage one Saturday morning 6 years ago. He was in a bad way. He was just a puppy, and showed signs of abuse, and was starving skin and bones. First off, I yelled at him, but he stood his ground.

He just knew he belonged here, and I obliged. I took him in, and got him fixed up and fed. When he first showed up, it looked like some alpha-hotel had stuck him with a knife blade or something, as it looked like he had a stab wound in his back.

So now six years later, he is quite happy around here, and loves to retrieve and chase his toys. He is an outdoor dog, but has a house with bed in the basement, where he sleeps and has his groceries and water. Never could house break him, as he has this stubborn streak a mile wide.

He is mutt through and through. I guess more than a few of you on the forum, know why I call him "Petey".

In his dignified pose.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_71014e62ef49e7d3c.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2025)

Here he is in dog bliss, scratching his back on pine cones.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_71014e62ef8a5f139.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2026)

Had a few dogs in my years, but have gotten quite attached to Petey.

Harter66
09-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Congrats, my old springer/rot(?)/doberman(?)was the best 1 I've had in my adult life. She hunted from 9/94-2/05. Sure miss her. Yours is a looker.

nvbirdman
09-04-2011, 12:54 AM
A mostly black lab adopted me about eight years ago. I can't imagine a more loveable dog. If a dog lives seven years for every human year, then she is giving me a dogs life of happiness.
Hey Harter66, I know where Hawthorne is.

Southern Son
09-04-2011, 02:44 AM
Blammer, you have beutiful looking dog there. They are great photos, she looks intelligent, confident and very lively. It is good to see that your little ones are playing with her (and that you are letting her inside the house). She really looks like she is feeling like one of the family, and I think that important. When a dog feels that he/she is part of the family, there is nothing that they won't do to protect the family.

My missus and I have two fur children, and both of them are bitzas. Before them was a couple of Dobermans, they were both fantastic dogs, but both taken from us too early (only 8 years old when we lost them) and I decided that I could not run the risk of loosing another Dobe to cancer. The first one died of lymph cancer which left my missus and I both hurt deeply (and broke, we spent $6000.00 trying to save our boy Riff Raff). When we lost our clown, Tank, 9 years later to bone cancer, we were both devistated (and again broke, we spent $10,000.00 trying to same Tank). Without our little Blaze (our Mastiff/Staffy cross) to help us when we lost Tank, I don't know what we would have done. We still have our Blaze and about 1 year ago we got a Bull Arab/Great Dane/Mastiff cross, he is Clifford, and as mad as a hatter.

Sorry for going on, but I still miss my old dogs, every single one of them from the Black lab that I grew up with right the way through to Tank, our last Dobe.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Our mutt Sara is (we think) part Westie, Jack Russell, and Standard Schnauzer . . . got her from the county shelter with a broken tail, and missing her left eye . . . didn't bark when we first got her . . . about 3-4 months later, she finally felt at home (she had obviously been abused) . . . But now she will growl and bark when someone comes in our driveway, she is always on guard duty, looking through the window, or doorway, loves to chase, and catch house flies!:mrgreen:

She is my buddy, almost like velcro! A good lap warmer:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/LapDog.jpg

My "helper":
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/Cab11.jpg

Checking out a Texas Horned Toad:
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Lizard1.jpg

Blammer
09-04-2011, 09:38 AM
first night with the dog

she stayed in her cage all night, no whining, barking or anything, quite and content.

got up at 7am took her out, she peed pooped outside and not in the cage, we're pleased.

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-04-2011, 10:00 AM
That's a REAL good start!

Blammer
09-04-2011, 10:19 AM
Dog's name is Maple, kids just named it.

1911sw45
09-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Maple is one fine looking dog. Hope you and your family gets many years of enjoyment from her.

Adam

jmsj
09-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Blammer,
Sounds like you are off to a good start with your new dog.
If you need another let me know. My wife picked up a stray dog off the I-25 interstate that looks like it could be a litter mate to yours. The dog ran in front of her truck and she thought she hit it. She stopped to see if she had hit the dog and the dog came up and wanted to be petted. This was in a desolete area and the dog was prettey starved down and had no collar or tags so she decided to bring the dog home to feed and try to find a home for him.
This dog seems well behaved and will not bark. I have not heard the dog bark and at 4:00 this morning a black bear tried to climb through our kitchen window. The bear must have walked past the dog, tore the screen off and was climbing in the kitchen window and not a sound from the dog. My wife woke me up when her blue heeler that was kenneled at the other end of the house started barking. We went to the kitchen and when we turned on the light and we saw the bear, he had both paws and his head through the window. When the bear saw us he made a hasty retreat.
For us a dog that won't at least bark at a bear or lion is not much use. So if you want him let me know.
Thanks and good luck with the new dog, jmsj

quack1
09-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Nice looking dog. I couldn't imagine not having one around.
I've trained a few labs, but I have to say, I've never seen a training dummy that had breasts and was wearing a bikini!!

Three-Fifty-Seven
09-04-2011, 12:21 PM
This guy just followed my wife and Sara home this morning . . .
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Jack2.jpg

Gave him a bath, made up a poster . . . don't figure anybody is gonna claim him . . . but were gonna try!

NVcurmudgeon
09-04-2011, 12:50 PM
What a beautiful dog Maple is! My "Briggle" (Brittany/Beagle) Milo is the latest in a long stretch of Mutts. Milo says that he will overlook my mixed German, Scots-Irish, English, French, Welsh, etc. heritage if I will forgive him his Muttness.

357maximum
09-04-2011, 01:06 PM
DJ

Once Maple is a bit more familiar with you I would take her into a good squirrel bearing woods and see what happens. She looks alot like a Mountain Cur and she might just run and tree a squirrel up for you. I have 2 Mt. Curs and both of them live to put a squirrel/coon up a tree. Other than the fact that someone fotgot to bob her tail she has CUR written all over her. :lol:

WARNING- if when she does discover her inner tree dog, you will be hard pressed to change her mind that she loves it. There are two words one never says in our house unless you really really mean it and that is R.I.D.E , and S.Q.U.I.R.R.E.L :wink: You might also want to STOP the tug O war games with the rubber chicken in case she ever does turn into a squirrel gitter. TRUST ME :lol:

http://www.sqdog.com/

lbaize3
09-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Blammer. good things come to good people. Hope you learn to love your dog as I have mine.
Leonard

Freightman
09-04-2011, 02:46 PM
If we are showing members of the family here are two the dog at the time she is chasing squirrels she is the only one , but the turtle who knows how many are in the yard they live under my shop. My mother had them and when she passed I couldn't just let them out to be ran over. That was twelve years ago and I have them from quarter size to 5.5" across.
You will find that a dog is always honest and trusting have fun with your new dog. I can't remember a time without a dog, got my first when I was a year old and I am 72 now and never been without one, Good Luck

fatnhappy
09-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I've never seen a training dummy that had breasts and was wearing a bikini!!

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Nice dog DJ. I can't imagine raising a kid without one.

Blammer
09-04-2011, 10:22 PM
quack1, has the quote of the day for sure!

Pooped on the floor today. I'm upset that I missed the signals to get her outside.

I will have to try better.

Worked with the kids today and the dog a LOT on how to walk the dog. I find I'm teaching the kids as much as I'm teaching the dog.

what a chore.

She barked today, dang if she don't have a "BIG DOG" bark! I like that from a 32 pound dog. :D

45nut
09-04-2011, 11:18 PM
When walking the dog,, the shorter the leash , the less trouble. When she figures out that you are the one that guides how fast and how far the walk is everyone will be better off.

Stop often and without reason, and then give praise when she looks to you for guidance.

That was the only way I ever got a dog to mind on a walk, otherwise the dog is looking for trouble and the dog is in charge of how far and how fast.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Lloyd Smale
09-05-2011, 06:45 AM
beautiful new family member you have there blammer!!

Blammer
09-05-2011, 10:29 PM
sufferin succotash she goes nuts when she sees a squirrel!

wallenba
09-06-2011, 12:17 PM

A little Feist dog in her huh?;)

beanflip
09-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Just remember this......

Moonie
09-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Losing a dog is a terrible thing to go through, I'm sure most of us here have been through it and would agree. Sometimes it is so bad you swear you will never own another. I can't even fathom not having a dog around.

Congrats on the new child Blammer.

metweezer
09-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Hey Blammer,
Reading your initial post it seems that you have a dog and a half. :bigsmyl2:

hiram1
09-08-2011, 07:16 PM
there GODS gift to us.

Blammer
09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
ha ha ha ha ha, that's too funny

357maximum
09-10-2011, 10:33 AM

I thought that might be the case. :drinks: Most curs/feists will turn into a first class treeing squirrel dog if you just get them out there enough. You are in for a treat.............enjoy it. :drinks:

Climb a tree and get her to start looking up then take a dead squirrel and put it in the tree just out of her reach............won't be long and her feet will hit the tree and she will find her REAL voice.

skeet1
09-10-2011, 10:56 AM
This is our dog Frisco who I found in the Railroad Yard in Enid, Oklahoma She was a pup then and after two years of chewing everything in sight she had turned into a very good watch dog.
I think she is part Boxer with a little Pit Bull and some kind of hound mixed in. What a great friend. She loves to ride in the back of the truck.

Blammer
09-11-2011, 09:15 AM
our new dog, Maple, has already found the squirrels in the tree and barks at them quite well.

Birds also find here interest.

We are getting an invisible fence for our yard, this should prove interesting.

357maximum
09-11-2011, 12:57 PM
good.......it sounds like her "AUTOPILOT" is ON. Get her in the timber as often as you can and your new friend will learn some tracking and trailing tricks that may just amaze you and provide some tasty squirrel meat for dinner. [smilie=w:

Blammer
09-11-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm gonna beat that dog.

she has a habit of 'dragging items' out of the trashcan

any suggestions to stop this behavior?

LUCKYDAWG13
09-11-2011, 01:19 PM
thats the lab in her you need to put the trash were she cant get it
good luck

ElDorado
09-11-2011, 02:14 PM
thats the lab in her you need to put the trash were she cant get it
good luck

+1 on that!

We keep our kitchen garbage pail in the garage because of our lab. He'll also get any loaf of bread or box of crackers that might get left on the counter. It's almost like having a black bear in the house.

I don't know how big your dog will get, but it's something to keep in mind.

LUCKYDAWG13
09-11-2011, 02:18 PM
He'll also get any loaf of bread or box of crackers that might get left on the counter.
LOL YEP THEY LOVE BREAD

fatnhappy
09-11-2011, 04:42 PM
I'm gonna beat that dog.

she has a habit of 'dragging items' out of the trashcan

any suggestions to stop this behavior?

take the trash out once in a while.

Seriously, get a can with a snap on cover

Blammer
09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
yep, new trash can is on order.

Blammer
09-11-2011, 04:58 PM
and don't leave your socks laying around, she apparently has a fetish for them.

1911sw45
09-11-2011, 05:56 PM
She still has plenty of pup in her! It should get better Blammer! Like I said before she looks good.

Adam

Blammer
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
turned her loose from the leash today for the first time since we've had her.

She tore up the yard quite a bit. We have about 2 acres and she made the rounds at least twice before she slowed down. :D

later tonight we turned her out again (under supervision of course) and she managed to tree a bird. :D

snuffy
09-12-2011, 09:55 PM
Darn fine lookin mutt there blammer! Ah, the joys of dog ownership. We don't OWN them, they just decide to stay with us. Their lives are committed to us without boundaries. A real life example of agape, unconditional love.

Busted!
http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PC250108.JPG

This is Arrow, just a couple of days after I brought him home. Sort of a rescue dog, in that he was ignored at his birth home. A velcro dog for sure.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PA300001.JPG

He's a purebred golden retriever, but half the time I call him mutt.

http://photos.imageevent.com/jptowns/arrow/websize/PA300002.JPG

cattleskinner
09-13-2011, 12:12 PM
Put a couple of set mouse traps in the trash, a couple times of getting snapped has helped me cure dogs of getting in the trash. Doesn't hurt them, but a sight to see when they get "caught".

Blammer
09-13-2011, 04:35 PM
TOO funny!

I may give that a try!

flounderman
09-14-2011, 08:27 AM
lab and hound should hunt. I just took a chanch on a half shorthair yesterday. going to see if I can make a bird dog out of her. already had 6 hounds and an I don't know what.

Blammer
09-14-2011, 06:37 PM
apparently she has a confidence issue.

was taking her for a walk near the edge of the bushes and something (ground hog most likely) suddenly tears out through the bushes away from us.

I brace for the dog getting to the end of the leash, but she doesn't go TOWARD the commotion, she goes AWAY from it.
Darndest thing I ever saw.

Blammer
09-16-2011, 10:38 PM
ok I goofed!

Who sent me a PM about a training collar for trade?

I deleted it by mistake!