PDA

View Full Version : Hard chilled Lead shot for bullets

jh45gun
01-26-2007, 09:36 PM
Just got over a 100 pounds of reclaimed hard chilled lead shot that was reclaimed from a trap range. It is clean too not dirty. So my question is can I use this straight for bullets or mix it with wheelweights or what?

Treeman
01-26-2007, 10:47 PM
Standard advice is to mix it. You can add chilled shot to just about anything from pure lead to linotype and the antimony content will help heat treatability. It will make bullets plain but won't be particularly advantageous to do so.

Ricochet
01-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Chilled shot is a good source of arsenic.

cbrick
01-27-2007, 01:42 AM
Chilled shot can be cast into very useable bullets as is. Here is a picture of Lyman's Devastator HP, 45 cal 200 gr fired from a 1911 @ 800 fps into three feet deep water and cast of # 8 chilled shot. No water water quenching or HT, the BHN was 8. The bullets in the photo were part of testing I did last summer using stick-on wheel weight, # 8 chilled shot and clip-on wheel weight alloy's. All three alloy's were fired with the same load at the same velocity into the same 3 feet of water. With a mushroom like that my night stand 1911 is now loaded with # 8 chilled shot.

EDIT: The # 8 shot did have 3% tin added. All three bullets in the picture are # 8 chilled shot.

http://www.lasc.us/DSCN1661-9.jpg

Rick

PPpastordon
01-27-2007, 09:48 AM
cbrick;
Looks like what the j boys want in their commercials!
Great results!!! But, I must ask, does the 'room portion stay on when hitting flesh? Like a deer, or something similar?

cbrick
01-27-2007, 03:38 PM
PPpastordon,

I have never shot a critter with them, just fired them into water. I know water is not nearly the same as flesh but its all I could come up with to get expansion and recover the bullets. I figured with water being a much harder medium to shoot into that if they stayed together in water they should work pretty well should some slime slither in my bedroom window at 3:00 AM.:twisted:

The above picture was # 8 chilled shot with 5.5 gr Unique @ 800 fps. Below is # 8 chilled shot with 6.5 gr Unique at over 900 fps fired into water.

http://www.lasc.us/DSCN1665-8.jpg

Rick

cbrick
01-27-2007, 04:26 PM
I also tested SAECO # 068 200 gr SWC in water with all three alloys, Clip-on weight, stick-on weights and # 8 chilled shot with the same two loads. Water is supposed stop a bullet with very little penetration and it did the HP's. I figure most of the mushrooming of the HP was done very near the surface and it then simply sank to the bottom. The SWC was a different story completely. The water was in a 55 gallon heavy plastic drum and all shots were fired straight down into it. The SWC, all three shots, went through the water and hit the bottom of the drum hard enough to punch holes in it.

http://www.lasc.us/Stick-on%20SWCBB_5_BHN.jpg

The above picture is stick-on weights at 6 BHN and 800 fps after they hit the bottom of the drum, they stayed inside the drum but still punched holes in it. The center bullet was poor photography as the opposite side is flat and I didn't get that with the camera.

http://www.lasc.us/Selection-9.jpg

I used another drum cause the first one leaked so bad that I placed steel plates on the bottom. This is how hard a SWC cast with clip-on weights, 11 BHN @ 930 fps hit the steel plates after going through 3 feet of water.

This thread is supposed to be on chilled shot and I don't want to hi-jack this thread much more than this, there are more tests and photos so if anyone is interested I should start a new thread.

Rick

OLPDon
01-27-2007, 04:42 PM
Cbrick:
Love to see mushroomed bullet's and how about that lube now that is stayen power what lube do you use?
Don

Jerry Lester
01-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Cbrick,

If those bullets are expanding that violently in just water, they'll likely fragment on impact with flesh or clothing.

I've tested a "LOT" of bullet designs in dozens of mediums ranging from water to wet paper, to actual flesh/bone, and even in wood, clay, etc.

Water does indeed stop HP designs pretty quickly, especially if it's a big cavity HP design like a Gold Dot or such, but even bullets like the Remington Golden Sabre's give very little expansion in water unless the impact velocity is extremely high. For instance, a .357 140g XTP-HP will not expand at all in water at an impact velocity less than around 1400-1500 fps, but will give a full mushroom, with petals folded back to the shank within 6-8 inches of beef mussle tissue at an impact velocity as low as 1100 fps.

I'd load the SWC's you've shown here in that gun for home protection.

Bear Claw
01-28-2007, 01:14 AM
I also tested SAECO # 068 200 gr SWC in water with all three alloys, Clip-on weight, stick-on weights and # 8 chilled shot with the same two loads. Water is supposed stop a bullet with very little penetration and it did the HP's. I figure most of the mushrooming of the HP was done very near the surface and it then simply sank to the bottom. The SWC was a different story completely. The water was in a 55 gallon heavy plastic drum and all shots were fired straight down into it. The SWC, all three shots, went through the water and hit the bottom of the drum hard enough to punch holes in it.

http://www.lasc.us/Stick-on%20SWCBB_5_BHN.jpg

The above picture is stick-on weights at 6 BHN and 800 fps after they hit the bottom of the drum, they stayed inside the drum but still punched holes in it. The center bullet was poor photography as the opposite side is flat and I didn't get that with the camera.

http://www.lasc.us/Selection-9.jpg

I used another drum cause the first one leaked so bad that I placed steel plates on the bottom. This is how hard a SWC cast with clip-on weights, 11 BHN @ 930 fps hit the steel plates after going through 3 feet of water.

This thread is supposed to be on chilled shot and I don't want to hi-jack this thread much more than this, there are more tests and photos so if anyone is interested I should start a new thread.

Rick

I wish those dummys on MYTHBUSTERS were her to read this, ( they claim it wont happen) Did you see that show they did with a 30-06 and the 50 bmg?

I think the only thing they "BUST" is the notion that they KNOW what they are doing

Bear Claw:drinks:

cbrick
01-28-2007, 01:22 AM
Bear Claw,

I did see that show. I don't think they were all that wrong. The key is velocity. Had they fired something a little more modest, say the 800 fps 200 gr bullets that I did and not something over 3000 fps they may have had a different outcome.

OLPDon
01-28-2007, 05:41 AM
Bear Claw:
Seen that show also at high speed the surface of water is like a brick wall slow it down ie: bowfishing lots of water penetration there. Remember as a kid floating a needle on the surface of the water. Put enough aeration bubbles underneth will sink a boat real fast. I would venture to say that mushrooming would be somewhat similar with exception of heavy bone.

Did you see the episode they did with shooting underwater quite interesting. They were able about 6' to 9' with auto loaders. Shotguns just blew up.
Don.

Bear Claw
01-28-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree with you both, However they didnt cover that ( I think) they just generalized the subject giving the average shooter and non-shooter alike incompleate information. I know the show is tounge in cheek so to speak and not always wrong but when it comes to firearms and balistics they are lacking.

The only show where a gun was used that I agreed with was the one where they shot a scuba cyl. and it didnt x-plode, As a diver and a former tester of scuba cyl's
I know that they do not x-plode as in JAWS.

Anyway none of us will prob. ever be shot at in 3 to 4 ft of water so I guess it isnt that big a deal but the non-shooting public has enough bad / wrong press about us
we dont realy need those guys making it worse.

Did you see the show about the sniper shot through the scope I dont remember how that story went but have always had my doubts that a shot like that was possible mabey a 1 in a million chance.

Oh well this isnt a rant just coffee talk best to you all:drinks:

waksupi
01-28-2007, 10:21 AM
Bear Claw, the shot through the scope was a documented deal. Carlos Hathcock did it in Vietnam. I believe the account is in the book, "One Shot, One Kill".

cohutt
01-28-2007, 10:53 AM
PPpastordon,

I have never shot a critter with them, just fired them into water. I know water is not nearly the same as flesh but its all I could come up with to get expansion and recover the bullets. I figured with water being a much harder medium to shoot into that if they stayed together in water they should work pretty well should some slime slither in my bedroom window at 3:00 AM.:twisted:
Rick

Rick,

Check out the Box'o Truth web page for medium ideas... www.theboxotruth.com/

carpetman
01-28-2007, 11:11 AM
cbrick---With your water tests you are ready to hunt Africa. You'd be limited to waterbucks and water buffalo.

Bear Claw
01-28-2007, 07:53 PM
Bear Claw, the shot through the scope was a documented deal. Carlos Hathcock did it in Vietnam. I believe the account is in the book, "One Shot, One Kill".

Yes Sir

I know the story as well and DO NOT doubt it, but I still think it is a 1 in a million shot, I think even Mr Hathcock said as much.... Kinda Like a hole in one at golf, I played for years NEVER even came close.

But all in all this makes for good coffee talk..........BC:drinks: