PDA

View Full Version : A Round Tooit

TDB9901
01-26-2007, 08:35 PM
What a weekend so far. I normally get off work at 0430 Thursday morning, and getting home about 45 minutes to an hour later, snooze for a couple before beginning the weekend. (I work 4X10 Thurs Fri Sat off) I had planned on doing a little playing with my '96 Krag (Bubba'd a bit but not a bad old rifle).

Not to be!!........ Just before alarm, pager goes off.........Fire call.......fortunately
nothing big, back home about noon. Then my mother comes over from next door, drain won't work......... find it frozen. Bottom line, all yesterday afternoon and most of today up to knees in water, bent over in ditch thawing drain pipe.........That crap hurt when I was young, and I ain't anymore...........Needless to say didn't get to play much with Krag.

I bought the rifle a number of years ago, and have shot nothing but cast in it since, but have never really sat about developing a "real" load for it. I have just thrown some together, and let my boys and nephews use it as a transition rifle from rimfire to high power ......they love it. It has a Williams reciever sight, and with the half A**ed zero job I did before turning it over to the kids to blast with, it will knock over tie-plate targets at 150 yards with real satisfying regularity. It definetly shoots to "minute of cow chip" with my hap hazard load. (20g. 4759 behind a Lee 170 FP seated to crimping groove)

I also aquired a Lyman Louvrin style 150 grain mold in a trade, the number escapes me, and I ain't gonna run to the basement to check tonight. But it shot them relitively well too(Same charge).

Anywhoo, I took it out a week or so ago, being inspired by you guys and this board, and put it on paper. I tried my two previous loads, and then the same two with the boolits seated out to nearly engrave with the Lee, and to actually touch with the Louvrin. The best groups (50yd.) were with the shallow seated Lee, and the deep seated Louvrin, (can't explain this) with the Lee being by far the best. Kept 3 of five in an easy inch, with two nearly touching about an inch away. I believe I can explain the two flyers to pilot error. Not a very good rest, and looking into a setting sun, I was not at my best by then, and as I said, I ain't reeely that young anymore... I think I am on the right track anyway. The barrel slugs to .3085 and boolits sized to .310. I think it may like this arrangement with a little fine tuning.............

IF I EVER GET A ROUND TOOIT!!!!.

wills
01-26-2007, 09:55 PM
Here you go, everybody needs one.
http://www.geocities.com/~cowpokinfun/images/ysamtuit.gif

9.3X62AL
01-26-2007, 10:02 PM
Send me several, Wills. I fell pretty hard on Monday, trying to be 24 again--hiking into a lakeside trout spot. The Tuesday Burrito Shoot was not much fun due to sore/stiff back, and a few more Series A Mark IV Round Tuits would come in handy at present.

wills
01-26-2007, 11:01 PM
Perhaps someone of your august demeanor should avoid such activities.
Take your pick;
http://www.ldb.co.uk/ldb/tuit.gif
http://www.frog.co.nz/tuit.jpg
http://illuminex.com/parts/round_tuit.jpg
http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/roundtuitimages/Egyptian_RoundTuit1.gif
http://www.quantumenterprises.co.uk/roundtuitimages/watch_l.jpg

TDB9901
01-26-2007, 11:55 PM
That takes care of that excuse, and there's always tomorrow, except SWMBO is home all day on Sat.....................Maybe I need all of them there Tuits............

A further question though, in anybody's experience, does the Louverin type shoot better seated into the lands, or back a bit.........? I'm not finding what I expected to with this type.

Bret4207
01-27-2007, 09:51 AM
I think McMaster-Carr stocks round tooits in both traditional wood and metal. I'm considering a chilled cast iron round tooit as I think it'll wear much better than say, aluminum or plastic. Mine will be used a lot. My wife tells me they're also available from JC Penny, Speigel, Victorias Secret in various designers colors, fabrics and textures. Maybe I'll take a look at the one from Victorias Secret, if I ever get a round tooit.

TDB9901
01-27-2007, 12:52 PM
Thanks guys!!

Where else can you find helpful advise like this?????????

I must admit that a nice lacey one from Victoria's Secret sounds somewhat fetching, but with temps in the teens this morning and winds 25 to 30 with gusts to 50, a down filled or fur model would be a whole lot more practical.

I likely won't get out to my range again today. If don't get saddled with "honeydoos" might fire up the pot...cast a few this afternoon. I ordered a 6.5mm 170 gr "Cruise Missle" mold from Mid-South, and need to try it out. Need some more 30's for the Krag too.

Tom

9.3X62AL
01-27-2007, 01:01 PM
"August demeanor?" Don't spread THAT kinda info recklessly, I might have to abandon my Class "A" Retirement Uniform--blue jeans, T-shirt, hiking boots. Cool weather options allow for sweatshirt, worn-out neckline and holes from barbed wire interface(s) preferred.

One visit to the Burrito Shoot would confirm my profound absence of sophistication--and shooting skill, more often than not.

Nueces
01-27-2007, 02:05 PM
I'm sophisticated. I just prefer not to show it. :-D

Wrangler fishing shorts and desert tan BDU, ALL the time. Maybe a t-shirt if it gets 'cold.'

TDB9901
01-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Al
That sounds like my working uniform. Great thing about just being the part time on call backup in a 1.5 man department. Pager goes off, I just grab the paddle holster, clip badge on belt, grab jacket, and run..

Anybody sees me in the real uniform they wonder "who's funeral"??

I had enough sophisticatiion during my full time years........

Tom

Bret4207
01-27-2007, 05:43 PM
I generally get mistaken for either a rather grubby example of a farmer, or rather grubby example of a logger when off duty. Come to think of it, I get called "grubby" at work too. Maybe there's a pattern here...

TDB9901
01-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Well I did get a little casting done today. I fired up little "Leaky Lee" and got one pot full shaped into some .30's and tried out that new 6.5x170 I got from Mid-South. That is one mean lookin' Boolit!! Had to quit at one, SWMBO was home, and the stink always raised over the stink raised in the basement limited production to one round. It's too cold and windy to open all of the windows.:mrgreen:

Also dropped a few .22 Bators from a mold I got on the same order. I can see why some of you guys consider .22 casters a somewhat different breed. They are a bit hard to handle.

This whole thing is really going to rejuvinate my reloading and shooting hobby.....
Thank you guys for a great sight, and the inspiration, not to mention all the wisdom gleaned over the past months of lurking........:drinks:

Tom

MT Gianni
01-27-2007, 07:55 PM
I think McMaster-Carr stocks round tooits in both traditional wood and metal. I'm considering a chilled cast iron round tooit as I think it'll wear much better than say, aluminum or plastic. Mine will be used a lot. My wife tells me they're also available from JC Penny, Speigel, Victorias Secret in various designers colors, fabrics and textures. Maybe I'll take a look at the one from Victorias Secret, if I ever get a round tooit.

My wife has given me several, thank goodness they are all slightly oval. Gianni.

TDB9901
01-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks again Wills, if you notice I made good use of the one you sent me.

wills
01-28-2007, 07:09 PM
Thanks again Wills, if you notice I made good use of the one you sent me.

Looks good. Happy to be of assistance.