PDA

View Full Version : Suppressors in Michigan ?

frkelly74
09-03-2011, 10:19 AM
I just read on the NRA page that the Attorney General Of Michigan has rendered an opinion that Sound suppressors for firearms can be allowed in Michigan as long as Federal law is followed. I want one.

Adam10mm
09-03-2011, 10:29 AM
Yup. Finally!!!

Jailer
09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
Got to start saving my pennies now.

45nut
09-03-2011, 11:27 AM
I still cannot for the life of me understand how they can justify 99.998% of the bs gun laws,, other than because we let them. And that,, is reprehensible and offensive.

Hardcast416taylor
09-03-2011, 01:43 PM
The take I get from the news item about this on a Detroit station yesterday is that the requirements for getting a silencer will entail a more severe background check than was required in getting a concealed permit. Also the sheriff of your county must vouch for your personal character. Then there is the FBI check and the fee(unsure how much) for the final permit. Of course to use a silencer you must have a firearm adapted for such. The final cost tab for all of this makes me unsure of a plus side to it.Robert

Jailer
09-03-2011, 05:03 PM
The take I get from the news item about this on a Detroit station yesterday is that the requirements for getting a silencer will entail a more severe background check than was required in getting a concealed permit. Also the sheriff of your county must vouch for your personal character. Then there is the FBI check and the fee(unsure how much) for the final permit. Of course to use a silencer you must have a firearm adapted for such. The final cost tab for all of this makes me unsure of a plus side to it.Robert

Those are the requirements to own an NFA item. There are ways around the LEO sign off and fingerprints but the cost and $200 tax stamp is part of the game.

357 Voodoo
09-03-2011, 05:16 PM
About time I've been wanting one for some time now.

shooter93
09-03-2011, 08:34 PM
I can only tell you what is required from the Feds, I have several suppressors, your state must comply but it's the local leo thing that can bite you. He does NOT have to vouch for you. NFA devices are a tax issue.....you are getting a tax stamp for a one time fee of 200 bucks. If you can pass a NICS check or your states check you can own a NFA device if allowed by your state.
You cannot " pre-qualify" meaning get approval for the suppressor before you buy it. You order and pay for it and have your local Class 3 dealer send his info to the seller...class 3 dealer. It gets sent to him....here they charge an additional 100 bucks for the service. In the mean time you send some paper work a bunch of places....your class 3 dealer will give you the forms....enter collector under reason for purchasing.
We get finger printed by the State Police here and it's never a hassle, they have to accomodate you. Your chief local LEO has a form to sign too.....He HAS to sign the form if you pass a NICS check. All this gets sent in along with a form with your pic on it to the ATF and they send you the stamp....a 8x10 sheet with the info on it to you, take that back to your dealer and get the device.
If for some reason you don't pass you can re-sell the device and your dealer holds it till then, like I say....if you pass NICS you're good to go.
As an aside....when you get your device....make a copy of the stamp sheet.....keep it with the gun ALWAYS. The reason for this is......should an unknowingly LEO stop you with the device and question your eligibilty to own it he cannot call to find out because it's a TAX issue and they cannot release tax info by simple request to LEO's. You will have the tax stamp with you.
I've been through this several times and it takes time but is no real hassle.
You can also make your own suppressor....done this too....however....YOU have to be the maker, not a machine shop....you have to serial number it....you have to do the same paper work and pay the same fee for the tax stamp. You need to do this for each device purchased. Hope this helps.

Lloyd Smale
09-04-2011, 07:23 AM
Is something i may persue in the future. To me i would have been more happy to see them start allowing us to possess short barrled rifles before suppesors. Cant do that either here in michigan.

frkelly74
09-04-2011, 01:44 PM
In my wish list for doing away with stupid laws is the shotgun only law for for deer hunting around here. I hate that. I want to use a mauser or a K31 or a Garand..... And cast boolits.

Jailer
09-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Is something i may persue in the future. To me i would have been more happy to see them start allowing us to possess short barrled rifles before suppesors. Cant do that either here in michigan.

I'm with you 100% on that one. A stupid law that makes no sense whatsoever.

In my wish list for doing away with stupid laws is the shotgun only law for for deer hunting around here. I hate that. I want to use a mauser or a K31 or a Garand..... And cast boolits.

I feel for you guys in the shotgun zone. :(

firefly1957
09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Tom Gresham has some tips on guntalk websight about getting though the process easier do a search for it. One tip was to have it in a group because if a owner dies it must be forfeited also that takes local law enforcement out of the approval process. I forget the name he used I put group but that is wrong.

Dannix
09-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I believe Tom is referring to a trust.

A trust request just that though, trust, and it's hard to make an infallible decision concerning who is trustworthy, particularly within the realm of family.

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Thats another one of MI more stupid laws. They have shotguns now that eaisly will go to 200 yards and handguns and muzzle loaders that will do the same. Its time that they get rid of a stupid law that has no real benifit to anyone. I kind of chuckle at my friends who bad mouth WI because they up till a short time ago couldnt get ccw permits. They laughed at WI for there restrictive laws when they were allowed silencers and short barreled rifles and not us. Truth is MI is one of only a few states that wont allow this. I believe that no state should have the right to restict something that the federal goverment says is ok.

Adam10mm
09-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Tom Gresham has some tips on guntalk websight about getting though the process easier do a search for it. One tip was to have it in a group because if a owner dies it must be forfeited also that takes local law enforcement out of the approval process. I forget the name he used I put group but that is wrong.
Yup. That's false. It becomes part of the estate and can be transferred to any heir on a Form 5 tax free transfer.

firefly1957
09-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Freak show I know the laws say one thing and the BATF often does another and our courts are not overly friendly to the innocent.

Adam10mm
09-07-2011, 12:27 AM
I'm telling you fact. I've been an SOT since 2006 and have done many of this type of transfer. If the owner of an NFA weapon dies, it is a possession and is part of their estate. Heirs to the estate can have it transferred to them on a Form 5 tax free. This is first hand knowledge of my dealings in the NFA industry the past few years.

firefly1957
09-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Thank you for the information I did not doubt you . However I have heard of people having problems doing that usually because they ask the wrong agency on how to do it or try to sell it without going though proper paperwork.