PDA

View Full Version : OK, Who Makes a 32 Cal. Real/Maxi ball mould?

twotrees
09-02-2011, 01:34 PM
Says it all in the title.

Bought a Lyman's 32 Squirrel gun for the wife to shoot, but the Lil' round balls need a companion. A heavier boolit.

Has anybody got an old TC mould they would want to sell? I just missed one on TOW.

Baron von Trollwhack
09-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Try some of the bulk factory wadcutters or cast your own idea of a good slug in appropriate diameters and either paper patch them or load them with a cloth patch to suit your ideas.

I found that the RB will be slightly more accurate than such a slug at all practical distances for field shooting in addition to the velocity superiority one can obtain with a RB which makes for flatter trajectory. You can't drive the slugs as fast as the RB with similar charges. Throw weight does nothing extra for cans or squirrels.

BvT

tacklebury
09-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Only one I know of is currently out of stock at Track...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=20&subId=132&styleId=484&partNum=MOLD-TC-32-MAXI-USED

Nobade
09-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I bet Accurate Molds would make you one...

Mountain Molds surely will.

wgr
09-03-2011, 08:56 PM
unless that rifle has a faster twist it won,t shoot maxie,s well it needs a 1in 30 are faster. most 32 and 36 cal are 1in 48. lyman used to make a mold in 36 and 32 if you could find one.

shdwlkr
09-04-2011, 06:58 PM
I have 2 TC cherokees and they shoot the 32 maxi just fine, you can also use the lyman 311316 lead bullet or for that matter any bullet of .310-.320 size depending on the size of your bore.
I personally use .315 size in my cherokees.

Czech_too
09-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Seeing as I have a Cherokee in .32 along with a few cartridge .32's, a mould by this outfit caught my attention.
http://www.biglube.com/Default.aspx
I e-mailed them last week with some questions but haven't received a response yet. I have had problems with the link, one day it'll work the next it wouldn't.

Brian

Nobade
09-13-2011, 08:01 AM
I have the 32 Biglube mould. Other than for CAS close up shooting you don't want it. It is very short and light, and I haven't found it to be very accurate in anything. Plus you need to remember a 32 cal. cartridge gun uses a bullet of .312-.314 and a 32 cal. muzzleloader has a bore around .320.

I did try to paper patch Lee 90gr. 32 cal. SWC bullets for my Cherokee, they fit then and some of them shot great but I had a lot of wild fliers. Went back to round balls and cloth patches and it shoots like a champ with no hassle.

If you want a bullet for your Cherokee I would find a 32 cal. TC maxi ball mould, or get Accurate or Mountain Molds to cut one to fit your individual rifle.

shdwlkr
09-13-2011, 09:41 AM
Don't forget we are talking a muzzle loader here so if you find a .315 mold design you like you can always patch it and use it in your .32 caliber Cherokee.
Wonder how I know this? hmmm could it be I have two of these rifles and always like to see what else can use just in case.
Logic told me that if I could use a .310 - .315(which is the diameter TC recommends why couldn't you use another bullet design and do the same think just adjust the patching material to make a tight fit.
One needs to think outside the box here when using a muzzle loader.
Another thing to keep in mind if you can not find pure lead use what ever lead you have that is sort of soft in my case it is ww lead and shoot it. Again it is the patching that's in contact with the rifling and you are shooting a slightly smaller diameter round ball or what ever bullet design you are using. If you are shooting a .316-.320 diameter I would use only pure lead but what the heck do I know I have only been playing with the 32 caliber Cherokee and 36 Seneca since TC brought them out and even have a few more of the TC design.
YMMV but I am real careful not to mess up my rifling and also to make sure that I have options. I have found in my Cherokees I like the round ball .315 diameter best. So that is what I use most, but that doesn't mean I don't use the 32 caliber maxi just not as often.
If you are in a hurry for a maxi ball mold as others have said get Mountain Molds or any mold maker that has the tools to make you one.

mooman76
09-13-2011, 08:39 PM
It's not a mould but Hornady makes .32 HB WC bullet for pistol. Might just work in yours. I could send you a few to try if you like.