PDA

View Full Version : Looking to restck my primers ?

randyrat
09-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I see Grafs and sons has Tula primers (large pistol) for $89.99 for 5000. How are those Tula primers. I've never used oe heard anything about them. If they were anygood i might be tempted to buy 10,000

Wots
09-01-2011, 06:45 PM
MidSouth has a promo.........
Offer valid Friday, September 2, 2011 8am CST until Monday, September 5, 2011 at midnight CST.

No Hazardous Material fee on orders of $250 or more worth of powder and/or primers.

MUST ENTER PROMO CODE: FREEHAZ

Hip's Ax
09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
Randy, Powder Valley has Wolf LP for $15.50 per 1000 which is $77.50 per 5000. Of course Haz Mat is $25 now plus shipping. Anyway, Wolf and Tula are the same exact primers, made by Murom Device in Russia. While I have not tried the pistol primers the rifle primers are match quality and I use them to great result in my match rifles in both small and large rifle. I use small rifle magnum in my NM AR15 (the Russians did not understand that in the USA magnum means more output AND a thicker cup, so these only have the thicker cup and normal output) and I use the large rifle in my 6.5-284 and the large rifle magnum in my 6XC.

If the pistol primers are as good as the rifle primers I would buy a truck load.

The anvils in the Russian rifle primers are flush with the cup whereas in USA made primers the anvil sticks up a little so the Russian rifle primers need to be seated firmly. Once again I have no experience with the Russian pistol primers.

Hope this helps.

Charlie Two Tracks
09-01-2011, 08:00 PM
I have been using the TULA magnum pistol primers for about a year now. No problems so far. I got 10,000 of them when Powder Valley had a special (no hazmat charge). You might want to call Powder Valley and see if they will cut you a deal or when their next special is.

randyrat
09-01-2011, 08:17 PM
AHHH that's good news. I haven't kept up with all the primers out there because i had a nice stock before the shortage hit.
Now I see my stock dwindling a bit and refuse to be caught with my A$$ hanging out.

res45
09-01-2011, 08:23 PM
I use the Wolf/Tula SP and SPM primer,they all go bang and have shown some good numbers across the chrono. I can order 5K Wolf primers from PV pay Hazmat and shipping and still save money over what they sell for locally.

09-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Been using Wolf rifle and handgun primers for three years and they have always performed flawlessly. So much so that Powder Valley is shipping more.

Old Caster
09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Always check Hi-Tech and Wiedners also because this stuff changes from week to week. I had some Wolf Magnum pistol primers and they were too stiff for my tuned revolvers, but in the semi autos they were fine. I got them by accident because I ordered regular primers and got magnum. I also wasn't aware that magnum means tougher metal or thicker but not necessarily more power in a Wolf primer. I might just, try regular, and I just talked to a bunch of guys about a group buy. The cheapest otherwise are CCI at about $24 a thousand so almost $10 a thousand. -- Bill --

09-02-2011, 06:06 AM
I bought 10,000 SP Mag. Tula last spring. I'll buy more, but they are harder than the hubs of hell. The Glock will misfire now and then but the GP100 and 1894 shoot them fine. I didn't know the Mag primers were harder that standard either.

milprileb
09-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Randy, I have over 20K of small and large Tula pistol primers used this year and they are top shelf. THey replicate Winchester LP or SP primers in all my loads and I buy mine from
Dagammo.com

I have used the Large Rifle Tula primers in my K31 Swiss loads and again, they replicate Win primers in my loads.

I have gone to Tula due to availability and cost and top performance.

Primers go on sale now and then so you got to shop around however, I have
found Dagammo.com to be the best for low price and immediate shipment
when I need them.

So in sum: If you can buy Tula primers, you will not regret it. I do like the way they seat in primer pockets !

skip

Digger
09-02-2011, 10:38 PM
As Hips Ax as mentioned using the Tula primers in his AR and as others have mentioned them being harder (magnum) .....
Would these be in the same class as the CCI 34 that is preferred for semi auto-military/slam fire category ???

Just curious as I hope to get into setting up for my 308/garand here down the road ..
digger

Dannix
09-02-2011, 11:38 PM
Not sure about the LPs, but the the SPs have to be seated a bit deeper.

Anyone running Wolf primers in a tubular magazine? (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=101448&highlight=wolf)

Just got some in. No experience with rifle yet, but I did just loaded up some of the small pistol primers. They do indeed appear to require deeper seating. I'll see how they shoot.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_111534e61a1bfec904.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2015) http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_111534e61a1d7b19a3.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2016)

(Like Charlie Two Tracks, I got 10k of Tula when PowderValley had their hazmat special.)

I've gone through about 1,900 Tula SPs now in 9x19mm. 2-3 duds so far...2 for sure, but I believe there was a 3rd one as well, I forget. All loaded single stage though, so I may have somehow tainted those few.

Hip's Ax
09-12-2011, 08:10 AM
As Hips Ax as mentioned using the Tula primers in his AR and as others have mentioned them being harder (magnum) .....
Would these be in the same class as the CCI 34 that is preferred for semi auto-military/slam fire category ???

Just curious as I hope to get into setting up for my 308/garand here down the road ..
digger

Digger, I have been wondering the same thing myself. I have been using CCI #34's for a decade in some of my Garands as 10 or 12 years ago folks were saying you HAD to use them. I cannot deny that the reduced sensitivity for the #34 does reduce the risk if a slamfire. They also are reported to be of magnum output which would make sense as Mil Specs are designed around soldiers fighting at the equator in July and the North Pole in January. You would need a lot of output to reliably ignite ball powder at -40 F.

I have a bunch of Wolf LRM and I intend to try them in a 30-06 Garand I have that is giving me fits group wise. Not sure how long it will take me to get around to this though. This is one of my NM Garands and I have been using CCI BR2 in it but as I said I’m trying everything I can think of to get the groups smaller.

I cannot say for certain if Wolf LRM has the same level of slamfire protection as #34 but I strongly suspect Wolf LRM is more that adequate for use in the 30-06 M1.

From what I have gathered information wise over the years is that it is Federal primers that are the worst offenders as is the 308 Garand because of the extra half inch of unneeded bolt travel.

There are people who argue both sides of this but I tend to err on the safe side for the most part. With all of this said I do intend to try Wolf LRM in my 30-06 Garands but I doubt I will abandon #34 for my 308 NM Garand, shame as #34's are not the best for accuracy.

Forgive my rambling and I hope this helps.

MikeS
09-12-2011, 10:49 AM
I was just looking at Grafs, and they show 2 different large rifle Tula primers, the 'regular' large rifle primers, and large rifle 7.62 primers, what's the difference between the two? Also they list Tula lead free primers, has anyone used these, and are they any good? As lots of lead exposure is really from primers, rather than the actual casting process, I would think getting lead free primers would be a good thing.

jonk
09-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I've found some batches are a little weaker than others. One batch will touch off a case full of slow ball powder fine, the next won't, it will hangfire. However, since I usually use WLRM with slow ball powders, it's a non issue. They all seem to do about the same with pistol or stick or flake rifle loads. And are very consistent (at least within the same lot).

Catshooter
09-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Since there isn't much happening at the moment with gun control at the Federal level this is a very good time to stock up. This condition may, or may not last.

Cat

milprileb
09-12-2011, 06:09 PM
Since there isn't much happening at the moment with gun control at the Federal level this is a very good time to stock up. This condition may, or may not last.

THis is very good advice and well timed advice. There are a lot of primers on sale now. I am stocking up and doing it in great depth. We have had too many primer scares, shortages and price gouging for me to re learn my errors all over again on this subject.

Rack them high and stack them deep.

FN in MT
09-12-2011, 08:28 PM
Winchesters were 24.95 per K and 115.00 per 5K a few weeks back at a local gun show.

Not a fan of the Tula primers...I'll buy made in the USA. YES I know they are more expensive...but at least I feel as though I'm supporting a US company.

NOT tryin to start a pissin' match with the rest of you.

randyrat
09-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Winchesters were 24.95 per K and 115.00 per 5K a few weeks back at a local gun show.

Not a fan of the Tula primers...I'll buy made in the USA. YES I know they are more expensive...but at least I feel as though I'm supporting a US company.

NOT tryin to start a pissin' match with the rest of you. Well I got chewed out from a friend about that same thing just the other day. Is it worth $15 X 5 savings.
I figure if Russians keep busy making me primers they will be too busy to mess with me in other areas.
I do plan on buying a bunch of American made primers also. I too think now is a very good time to start stocking up again.

GRUMPA
09-13-2011, 07:10 AM
I kinda need to stock up in the primer dept very soon. They have a big show going on in Dec. for 3 days and told the other half I'm going. Just don't know what to expect as far as prices go, the last time I bought any they were $10k. But at the time all was well and they were all over the place and venders were almost trying to out bid each other. I hope I don't get sticker shock when I go there this time, it's been a better part of 10yrs since I last went.

avogunner
09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
There's a bunch of guys here that have more experience with Tula (or Wolf) primers than I, so their opinion would carry more weight but I did pick up some Tula SP at a gun show....I couldn't pass up the $16 per 1000 price. So far so good, they all go bang when the trigger is pulled.