PDA

View Full Version : Gettin em dialed in

spottedpony
01-26-2007, 01:24 AM
I ordered a new .50 Hawken (1/48 twist) from Cabelas about 3 weeks ago, to go along with an old kit 45 kentucky rifle i built about 25 years ago (maybe 30) both percussion.

So far with kinda lousy weather i've only shot them at 25 yds, & in the next few days hopefully stretch that to 50, soon as it dries up out in the pasture.

Also ordered a couple of Lee ball molds in .490 and .495. to use up 60 or 70 lbs of soft lead ive had laying around.

Anyway, its been a ton of fun starting to get them dialed in. & so far have settled on 50 gr. pyrodex with a .440 ball & .020 patch in the 45 & its shooting 5 into one ragged hole. but doesnt seem to like 777 quite as well.

The .50, seems partial to the 777 at 80 grains, & a .495 ball with .010 patch. it opens up a little with pyrodex or a .490 ball with the .020 patch. with the 777/.495..010 combination its shooting a 3 shot cloverleaf, and 5 cutting one ragged hole, not counting a called flyer. With age creeping up on the old eyes, i'm pleased with the results so far.

Next step i guess is order in a couple of REAL molds from Lee and see how it shoots them.

NOW, if i could only find something other than those #$&*%*& cci caps around here i'd really be pleased.

I'd forgotten how much fun it was shooting with the muzzleloaders, but i see my handguns and centerfires sharing a lot of range time with them now. :-D
& thanks guys, ive been reading in here for quite a while now & picked up on some new things, as well as reminded of some older practices. Hopefully i can contribute something now and then to benefit others also.