PDA

View Full Version : Goose season

shaggist
09-01-2011, 01:00 PM
I read this morning that the initial NC Goose Season opened today and runs through Sep 30th, with a daily limit of 15 birds. As many of you know, there is a goose nuisance problem in NC and other states and this is our chance to thin them out. Do your public duty and shoot the Hell out of them. I'm tired of non-biodegradable goose poop everywhere.

cabezaverde
09-01-2011, 03:34 PM
No birds using the shootable areas up here. They are still on the golf courses.

quack1
09-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Same thing here-geese are on the golf courses and around building lawns or other places you can't hunt. Have noticed that farmers haven't started chopping corn yet-maybe since it was so wet this spring planting was delayed.

cabezaverde
09-01-2011, 03:42 PM
Same thing here-geese are on the golf courses and around building lawns or other places you can't hunt. Have noticed that farmers haven't started chopping corn yet-maybe since it was so wet this spring planting was delayed.

The farmers around here were so behind for the first planting that it was too late after harvest to get other crops in. Many fields are lying fallow and over grown.

JeffinNZ
09-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Canada geese are now officially a noxious pest in NZ. If you want to shoot geese come hither and shoot till thee is blue in the face.

Harter66
09-01-2011, 06:14 PM
Jeff,
that sort of an invite could force me to get a passport.

2nd how do ya get a ton of frozen goose through customs?

3rd thought. $25for an overnight bag $50 for a duffel ...............................

Nevermind,you'd have to treat them like coyotes here I guess. Retirement home or shelters maybe could eat good.

I hate it when my woohoo gets ahead of common sense ,which catches up just in time to crash the party...................

Johnch
09-01-2011, 06:33 PM

Yep Lots of them around the golf course
Or there were
Now 24 less

A freind got permission to hunt one of the local golf course's
We had to be packed up and in the parking lot at 8:50 as they open at 9 AM

Sunrise was 7:03
7:15 30 or so were landing in front of us
7:15 and 2 seconds the get um was called
7:16 we were limmited out with 4 apiece

We loaded up the blinds and decoys in golf carts and were back in the parking lot by 7:30

We will give it another try in the AM ,as 200 or so more use the course

God I love these dumb geese [smilie=l:

By 8:30 I was home , had them cleaned and ground

I mix the ground goose in with beef to make burgers

John

plmitch
09-01-2011, 07:58 PM
I see dozens of them every morning in front of one of the local High Schools. A good sling shot a sack of rocks would take them out.

quack1
09-01-2011, 09:06 PM
Johnch- I do the same thing with most goose breasts. Have you ever had a steel shot make it through the grinder? I thought I was pretty thorough checking the goose breasts for shot before grinding, but had a #1 steel get through the grinder once. Sure is an unpleasant surprise to chomp down on a steel shot in a burger. Didn't break any teeth, but felt the jolt clear down to my toes!

Johnch
09-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Johnch- I do the same thing with most goose breasts. Have you ever had a steel shot make it through the grinder? I thought I was pretty thorough checking the goose breasts for shot before grinding, but had a #1 steel get through the grinder once. Sure is an unpleasant surprise to chomp down on a steel shot in a burger. Didn't break any teeth, but felt the jolt clear down to my toes!

Nope
I bought one of those cheap hand held metal decters
Like $9.99 from Harbor Freight years back

I see the same ones sold at wood working places to find nails before you run a board through the planner

BTW it took the 6 of us till 8:15 this AM to limmit out
Would have been sooner
But 2 guys decided they should miss all 3 shots the first 2 flocks

John

Carolina Cast Bullets
09-02-2011, 12:35 PM
golf course geese are a problem and they are a nuisance. I've not heard of a golf course allowing them to be shot. The ones I've heard of had the birds rounded up when they were moulting and could not fly, then carried off and released in the woods other side of the installation. "coyote buffet"

Golf course geese are also grass feeders. I've never cooked/eaten any but have been told that they are not good eating. As to the rice fed wild birds along the Gulf Coast of Texas, UUUUUUUMMMMMMM.

Jerry
Carolina Cast Bullets

357maximum
09-03-2011, 09:58 AM
A few of the more rural golf courses here in Central Lower Michigan have wised up. The hunt is normally a free lottery affair, show up and if you draw............go get em.

Hope springs eternal......maybe others will wise up too.