PDA

View Full Version : BIG bullet I.D. help

birdadly
08-31-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm not sure where to post this, but this thing is BIG and I thought some might like to see it. I also hope that some might be able to tell me what it is.

I was at an auto shop talking firearms and a worker says "I don't have any guns, but I do have this". He went and got this thing. He said 25 years ago he pulled it out of a trunk of a car he was salvaging. It's been sitting in his toolbox since.

He doesn't know what it is, whether or not it's live, or what it's worth if anything. The primer looks to be missing, sort of. Well I asked if I could take pictures and if I could find anything out about it, I'd get back to him. Does it look familiar to anyone? Thanks! -Brad

rintinglen
08-31-2011, 01:13 PM
looks like an old WWI 37 mm cannon shell, to me, but I am no expert.

Harter66
08-31-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm not claiming expert either.

The ammo I've seen 1st hand in 37 and 40mm were straight cases . Some quick vague searches turned up a reference for the projectile being related to 35mm flak guns. I did not go w/the links or further searching. I've seen the 40mm AA ,those cases are about 14" long and look a lot like a 303 Brit.

Maybe an anti-tank round. W/the flak reference id handle it w/kid gloves and politely suggest to you and its owner that it be amnestied to be destroyed as it may be an impact explosive projectile.

wiljen
08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
That thing looks a helluva lot like a pom.pom round from one of the old QF1 cannons. I'd be damn careful because if that is what that thing is, its an HE shell.

Reference here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_1_pounder_pom-pom

TXGunNut
09-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Got sandbags? I'd pick up 3-400 pounds of play sand @ Home Depot and cover it until ID'd. Had a call where a live 105 was recovered under a former frat house. Heard lots of stories about it later but the Army ordinance disposal guys told us one I'll never forget-it was live.