PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Hickory
08-31-2011, 08:22 AM
I have an issue with a variable scope, a Burris Compact 4x12, and have sent it back to the factory for repair. But, that is not the reason for the question I am about to put to you guys.

The question is this;

Would you consider buying or using a rifle scope with less variable adjustment to it. Let's say instead of a 6.5x20 would you consider a scope that was 12x20.
or instead of a 3x9 scope how about one that was 5x10.

The reason I am asking this question is, I, myself tend to just use variable scopes in the higher magnifications.

In my varmint rifles, that are 6.5x20, I seldom go any lower than 12 power.
So, I really have a 12x20 scope.

Scope manufactures are hard pressed to get a clear image with a wide variable to it without distorting that image with blurred edges or color distortions.

With a narrower variable range you could get a clearer image, better eye relief with this type of scope, and cheaper, (Maybe).

Tell me what you think.

MtGun44
08-31-2011, 08:47 AM
Lots of different needs. I never move off of the lowest setting except for ammo testing on
most of my guns, so my needs are the opposite of yours. The trend is to wider range
of power, and I don't think that narrower range would make them cost any noticiable
amount less.

Bill

Wayne Smith
08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
90% of scope use is adequately done with a fixed six power. Varmiting is another game and does require higher power, as does any long range shooting. There is an unconcious tendency, when you can see your boolit holes in the target, to chase the last shot. I prefer to use a three power setting or four power setting when target shooting so the bullseye is all I see. This is common in inexperienced shooters and I have proven it over and over when I teach young shooters.

You are right, the narrower the range is the clearer the scope will be. Fixed power scopes will always be the clearest. This is physics. Every shooter needs to determine the real needs and find the scope that most closey fits those needs.

fishnbob
08-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Hickory, I agree a lot in what you say. I really like for my varmint rifles to have fixed power in the highest power I can find or afford. I do have a 6 X 20 on a .204 that I usually use at 14 or 16 X because that is the best sight picture I can get out of the scope. I generally keep the deer rifles on 4 to 6X because of the larger target area and they don't always stand still. My favorite variable would have to be the 4 X 12. It would fill the bill on both ends of the spectrum. I think you have a valid point.

Moonie
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Really depends on its intended use. I have a 4x12 on my AR-15 6.8 SPC that I intend to use for Deer and large varmint shooting (Coyote) but also for a Tactical shoot a local club does once a month.

For deer I'll probably use 4x, for Coyote probably a little higher, for target shooting 12x however for the tactical 4x might be a little too much as most of the targets are within 25 yards.

Will be fun to try though.

Echo
08-31-2011, 11:56 AM
IM Never-To-Be HO, extreme variabilities are marketing ploys. Who NEEDS a 4-20?

BD
08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
While we're airing our thoughts and issues with scopes. I have two additional ones. In general a 2x7 would do everything I need done. However, lately I've grown to like BDC reticules. The issue I have with them is when they're etched on the second focal plane, you need to crank up to the highest power before the BDC is accurate. On a varmint gun this works out OK, on a deer rifle, not so much.
My other issue is that no one seems to make a decent quality adjustable objective scope in any power less than 4 x14 or so. As I get older the ability to focus the objective gets more critical particularly in dim light. Even the difference between 100 and 200 yards is significant. As a result I have a 4.5x14 on a rifle which used to have a 3.5x10, and on which I'd prefer to have a 2x7. If Leupold made a 2x7 VX3 with AO, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
BD

felix
08-31-2011, 01:10 PM
Amen, BD. The scopes should be much cheaper because of the high quality plastics available. Only the outside lens at both ends should be scratch resistant glass. The reason the cost remains high is because the scope folks don't want to pay royalties on the plastic to B&L, the inventors of optical quality (red-green-blue in phase) polycarbonates. It's about time that patent to run out? ... felix

rond
08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
I've gone back to fixed power scopes on a lot of my rifles, 4 X or2 1/2 X. Not a lot of open areas where I hunt.

largom
08-31-2011, 04:47 PM
Lots of different needs. I never move off of the lowest setting except for ammo testing on
most of my guns, so my needs are the opposite of yours. The trend is to wider range
of power, and I don't think that narrower range would make them cost any noticiable
amount less.

Bill

Same here! My biggest problem with scopes is eye relief. At my old age I have trouble getting the shorter scopes mounted back far enough. I know you can get extended rings except I like Burris Signature rings with the inserts and extended are not available.

Larry

firefly1957
08-31-2011, 05:39 PM
I am sure there are enough different scopes for all our uses. something you do not mention is with the ability to make small electronic scopes it is possible to make a single scope that does just what the user needs.

crabo
08-31-2011, 11:22 PM
I often put one of my 6.5x20 on a rifle for load developement. I then go back to lower powers for hunting. My AR15 has a 2.5x8 on it. When I hunt, it stays as low as possible for that quick shot. I can always crank it up for a long shot.

I don't want to use a 6.5x20 or most of my hunting guns because of the size of the scope, and I don't want the 6.5 to be the lowest setting I have. Of course of it was a bean field rig, then the higher maganification makes sense. My guide gun has a 1.5x4 on it.

I think you have to match the scope to what your basic purpose will be. You've got to give up something unless you change rigs or have several dedicated QD optic set ups available for that gun. But who can afford that?

MT Gianni
09-02-2011, 02:01 PM
I love my 2x7's. Most of the time I shoot a 3x9 and it rarely hits 9 unless it is for target shooting.

Iowa Fox
09-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Hickory,

Why did you return your 4x12 Burris. I have a 4x12 mni that is dark and not clear. Thought about returning it but was not sure if there is a fix for it. Let us know how yours turns out when you get it back.

Hickory
09-03-2011, 03:13 PM
Hickory,

Why did you return your 4x12 Burris. I have a 4x12 mni that is dark and not clear. Thought about returning it but was not sure if there is a fix for it. Let us know how yours turns out when you get it back.

I had the scope on my T/C Contender 223 and when I'd shoot it, the crosshairs would rotate just a little. Not enough to notice, but after a while it was very noticeable.

Compact scopes have a "Forever" warranty.

I also had them change the recital to a "Ballistic Plex" for the .223 and 55 gr bullet.