PDA

View Full Version : Need Help !

TK Grogg
01-25-2007, 09:52 PM
Can some one direct me to a source for ready made cast boolits for the 45/70 Springfield Rifle? These would be the hollow base type boolits--405 grn. Are they available from any of the boolit companies? Thanks.

Kraschenbirn
01-25-2007, 10:31 PM
Buffalo Arms stocks a hollow-base 405 grainer.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm?viewfrom=13&catid=84&step=2

Any particular reason you specify "hollow base type"? Original 405 gr. Trapdoor Carbine loads were solids over 55 gr of Fg black. The only reason I can imagine for a hollow-base would be for use in a badly worn bore.

Bill

floodgate
01-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Krtaschenbirn:

According to the Spence Wolfe book, the original 405-gr. bullet for both rifle and carbine, and after 1881 (when the 500-gr. rifle load came in) for the carbine with 55 grs. powder, DID have a shallow hollow base. This was apparently for "fine tuning" the final bullet weight, but probably also helped with "bumping up" to fit the varying groove diameters of the day. (Now, of course, with modern CNC, we get absolute perfection and precision in our firearms. Yeah!).

floodgate

Bullshop
01-26-2007, 01:44 AM
Can some one direct me to a source for ready made cast boolits for the 45/70 Springfield Rifle? These would be the hollow base type boolits--405 grn. Are they available from any of the boolit companies? Thanks.
I sell boolits from the Spence Wolf molds. They are coppied from origonal Springfield design.
I have a nice collection of boolits found in the area of Fort Union MT. and Fort Buford ND. 50/450 45/500 45/405 45/250 and all are hollow base.
The Spence Wolf is a near exact coppy accept that there is a small flat on the nose of the Wolf mold it being a nose pour. My price is about half of the BA price.
BIC/BS

TK Grogg
01-27-2007, 08:44 PM
Thanks to all who replied. This information will surely help. I will pass the info on to my friend who is looking for these. Another great source for information--CAST BOOLITS. Thanks again.